Sources: Harbaugh eyeing exit strategy

This stuff is hilarious.

Non conference season the complaint was the team didn’t win by enough. Fleck is a used car salesman in over his head.

Conference season they start 3-0 and it’s give Fleck a contract extension no matter what.

All to be followed by Fleck basically has one foot out the door.

GHole at its entertaining best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan coming after Fleck? Ha! I'm as paranoid as the next guy about losing our PJ but it will never be to Michigan. He coached Western Michigan for God's sake, he couldn't possibly be worthy of coaching non-directional Michigan. As long as Notre Dame keeps winning I'm not worried.

A coordinator from Clemson or Bama would not be a bigger name than Fleck. Locksley was not a bigger hire for Maryland than Fleck was and someone like Brent Venables at Clemson would not be a bigger hire than Fleck.

I’d guess they’d probably hire a G5 coach.

Matt Rhule did an outstanding job with Temple’s program and now has Baylor back from the scandal.

Maybe that would be a good target for them.

A coordinator from Clemson or Bama would not be a bigger name than Fleck. Locksley was not a bigger hire for Maryland than Fleck was and someone like Brent Venables at Clemson would not be a bigger hire than Fleck.

I’d guess they’d probably hire a G5 coach.

I just realized Locksley's career headcoaching record is 6-35. That is tough.

There are a bunch of reasons PJF may want to stay at MN and try to build a historic legacy (and I hope he will and does) but also some reasons he may want to move on to a more prestigious program he doesn’t need to “build from the foundation” if the phone starts ringing.

It’s not worth getting your panties wadded up about. Enjoy the moment and soak it up. The best the school can do is offer him more than fair compensation for he and his staff, facilities, and some level of autonomy and support. If he chooses to move on like a Holtz turncoat then so be it. Besides, the story of this season has yet to be written. Maybe we’ll lose the rest of the games and you can all breathe a sigh of relief :clap:.

PJ's ties to Michigan are strong, his kids live there, he'd get more support from the school (by that I mean more dollars), and recruiting would be easier. I could easily see him leaving to be their coach. He'd be closer to a Nat'l Championship there than he is here. We'd better get an extension in place soon, ideally with a huge buyout if he goes to another BIG team.

It is extremely rare to hire another Big Ten Coach away. And honestly, I don't think he's what Michigan wants. They want someone who can win big.

I believe it. For whatever reason, he can’t get the players at Michigan he needs to beat Ohio St. And if you can’t beat Ohio St — which in of itself is a huge part of the job at Michigan — it’s also gonna be tough against Penn St and even Mich St, and you aren’t going to win the Big Ten and go to the CFP.

The obvious question/concern: would they target Fleck?

Does he have any real affinity for the state of Michigan and/or the program in Ann Arbor, based on his time at WMU??

Sounds like they need somebody who can get the team fired up about going 1-0 in their Ohio State championship season.

I may be completely off but wasn’t there an agreement between Big Ten schools not to poach another head coach from another a Big Ten school? Kind of an under the table agreement?

I try to think of this conversation from a non-Gopher fan perspective. What would a badger fan or hawkeye fan think of us keeping PJ.

Likely we are getting to the point where they would be happy to see him go elsewhere.
I'm also guessing they would be happy to rip us apart if we pay him at a level of top 3 or top 5 Big Ten coaches.

But the other deal from a Minnesota AD standpoint is, you know how much you are going to need to spend to get a replacement, and you have a good idea, the next person will have a tough time following in PJ's footsteps.

So knowing this, and knowing that if you really want to turn our program around from a 25-50 type team, to a hopeful Top 10 or Top 15 Program, you are going to have to pay more than typical Top 10 Top 15 programs to ascend and plateau at that level.

Bottom line, is he the right guy? If you think yes you need to pay him like a top 5 / top 10 coach because you aren't a top 5 program. Also, PJ is becoming more than the face of football for Minnesota, he's becoming the the face of the athletic department.

PJ's ties to Michigan are strong, his kids live there, he'd get more support from the school (by that I mean more dollars), and recruiting would be easier. I could easily see him leaving to be their coach. He'd be closer to a Nat'l Championship there than he is here. We'd better get an extension in place soon, ideally with a huge buyout if he goes to another BIG team.

I’m pretty sure his kids live in St. Louis with his ex-wife.

I may be completely off but wasn’t there an agreement between Big Ten schools not to poach another head coach from another a Big Ten school? Kind of an under the table agreement?

Assumed, but not confirmed. With anything however, that could be tossed out the window if a hire is important enough for you.

This stuff is hilarious.

Non conference season the complaint was the team didn’t win by enough. Fleck is a used car salesman in over his head.

Conference season they start 3-0 and it’s give Fleck a contract extension no matter what.

Minnesota sports fans in a nutshell.

Urban Meyer?

This would be interesting. However if his health is an issue and is enjoying life on tv. I would think he and his family would appreciate some peace around the household. Would be an interesting challenge for him I'm guessing.

Its a ploy.

He's having a bad year, yet, he's still been the most successful Michigan coach in quite some time. People are calling for his head right now.

He needs to show the organization his value.

This stuff is hilarious.

Gopher sports: Doom, of one type or another, is just around the corner.

If enough money is on the table, Urban Meyer’s health miraculously improves.

There is no Fleck to Michigan scenario.

And isn't there an unwritten rule that Big Ten teams don't poach coaches from within the conference? I know it's been talked about before. When was the last time that a football coach went from one Big Ten school to another? I don't remember it happening in my lifetime.

Pretty good chance that Minnesota is the best P5 job that would allow PJ to completely rebrand a university with his own stamp. We were desperate and allowing a new coach that kind of control was a tolerable price to pay to actually be in the conversation for a top 3 coaching prospect at the the time.

The other perennial top 10 programs will never struggle to land one of the top few coaches available and will always have several options that don't include total rebranding. It would take a next tier down school with a giant checkbook to woo him away and if he can get this program to that tier and feels hopeful of progressing further, why start over.

And isn't there an unwritten rule that Big Ten teams don't poach coaches from within the conference? I know it's been talked about before. When was the last time that a football coach went from one Big Ten school to another? I don't remember it happening in my lifetime.

Glen Mason openly flirted with Michigan State after Saban left and he openly campaigned/interviewed for Ohio State before they hired the man in the sweater vest.

Its a ploy.

He's having a bad year, yet, he's still been the most successful Michigan coach in quite some time. People are calling for his head right now.

He needs to show the organization his value.

Thing is, yes he has won a lot of games, but actually he has won very few of the games that really mattered. The games he has won, have been all the games they were supposed to win. Their fans demand more.

Look at this: https://thespun.com/big-ten/michiga...ugh-stats-following-michigans-loss-are-brutal

"
Michigan under Jim Harbaugh:
~0-4 against Ohio State
~1-9 vs. top-10 opponents
~0-7 as an underdog
~1-6 on the road against ranked opponents
~Five losses by at least 21 points, including three of their last five games

— Kyle Rowland (@KyleRowland) September 21, 2019
"

That was after the blowout loss in Madison.

Since then, they did beat Iowa at home (though I'm not sure Iowa will finish the season in the top 25, maybe), but they just lost on the road to Penn St (though it was a nice comeback and close game at the end). Now they go on the road against top 10 Notre Dame, which people assume will be another loss.

And of course, Ohio St, which is in Ann Arbor this year, but he has yet to beat them.

Glen Mason openly flirted with Michigan State after Saban left and he openly campaigned/interviewed for Ohio State before they hired the man in the sweater vest.

turned out great for him too

Reminds me of the time in 2000 when we beat Ohio State in Columbus - Glen Mason was the talk of the town. We actually had a reasonable path to the Rose Bowl after that win. Everyone was worried Glen would leave - he (almost) openly campaigned for other jobs. Then the next weekend we lost a horrible game to last place Indiana (anyone remember Antwaan Randle El? - A career day). Rose Bowl dreams dashed - and a lot of the Mason momentum towards moving elsewhere seemed to fade after that as well.

I keep thinking of that Indiana game as we approach Maryland - at least we are home......

This stuff is hilarious.

You are selling PJ/Gophers short. They are actually 4-0 in the Big 10.

Top Bottom