Media Predictions: Minnesota vs Maryland

How can you be taken seriously, when your name is clucko the chicken? Who cares?

How can you be taken seriously, when your name is clucko the chicken? Who cares?

Well Clucko is interesting when you sometimes see him with a better record against several "experts" in picks...

Goldteam is an expert and he has the Gophers winning in a route!

Bleacher Report is going with the Gophers, 38-17
Throw out the beatdown of Rutgers, and Maryland has allowed 330-plus passing yards in three straight competitive games. Minnesota quarterback Tanner Morgan, meanwhile, has posted no fewer than 8.8 yards per attempt in any game this season.

This maybe bad news, our favorite Jerry Palm, CBS Sports

Maryland at No. 17 Minnesota (-17): The people setting these lines are still behind on Maryland. Yes, it played Indiana tough last week, but that was Indiana. If not for Rutgers, the Terrapins would be the worst team in the Big Ten. There is a chance they catch the Gophers looking ahead to Penn State, but I'm not sure that would even matter. Pick: Minnesota (-17)

CFN Prediction MN vs. MD

CFN is out with their prediction.

Minnesota 30
Maryland 34

"This is the week when the Maryland offense works, the Minnesota attack will misfire just enough to matter, and yeah, that one team has a massive date next week and the other has no expectations whatsoever really will matter." Basically a bad case of "looking ahead to PSU" or "Wisconsin Syndrome."

Here's the link: https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/minnesota-vs-maryland-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019.

I think Coach's one game at a time mantra will work its magic just fine. We'll be thinking about the Nittanies after Sunday, not before. Go Gophers!

MODS move to Other Media Thread. Thanks IceBox for posting first.

Another CFN Writer with a prediction, this time taking Maryland 34-30
This is the week when the Maryland offense works, the Minnesota attack will misfire just enough to matter, and yeah, that one team has a massive date next week and the other has no expectations whatsoever really will matter.

The Gophers don't have any expectations and will play worse because of that? Not sure I get what they're trying to say. Don't the Gophers have way higher expectations than Maryland?

Except we’d have to be looking ahead two weeks since we play BYE next week. Dink to the max.

I will say that this week scares me more than any game we have played so far this season. Maryland will have the best talent we have faced all year and the have tons of speed on offense. If we win this game, it will be our best win of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m terrified about this game, but CFN picking against us makes me feel a little better actually. They make Clucko look like Bill Connelly.

The Gophers don't have any expectations and will play worse because of that? Not sure I get what they're trying to say. Don't the Gophers have way higher expectations than Maryland?

Overlooked this reply. Sorry.

Scarlet and Game (Fansided) is going with the Gophers, 34-30
This is a new spot for the program but P.J. Fleck’s culture is firmly established. The team is obviously locked in on his vision. Handling the spotlight is the next major step in the process of becoming a consistent winner. I think it will be closer than expected, but Minnesota holds off Maryland to win 34-30.

MLive takes Minnesota, 35-20
Don't be surprised if the Terps put up a fight well into the second half, but Minnesota is too balanced on offense and should be able to move the ball with relative ease.

Sports Book Review picked the Gophers
After completely breaking this game down and reviewing NCAA college football odds, I am taking the Golden Gophers to stay undefeated in impressive fashion. I’m going to side with the NCAAF oddsmakers and take Minnesota -16 ½. This is a large spread to cover but Minnesota is at home, playing a bad Terrapin defense, and should be extremely motivated as their schedule will only get harder from here.

Yeah I agree CFN prediction is kind of baseless. It just came across like a coin flip of a prediction that Minnesota's offense (both run and pass apparently) won't work and Maryland's will.

Last edited:

U2Gopher: I will say that this week scares me more than any game we have played so far this season. Maryland will have the best talent we have faced all year and the have tons of speed on offense. If we win this game, it will be our best win of the season.

Penn State beat MD 59-0...Purdue beat Maryland 40-14....I’m nervous for the game too, but more because I’m a scarred Minnesota fan. Barring a massive letdown, we should beat MD handily. If not, then this team simply isn’t very good, let alone win the west good.

U2Gopher: I will say that this week scares me more than any game we have played so far this season. Maryland will have the best talent we have faced all year and the have tons of speed on offense. If we win this game, it will be our best win of the season.

Penn State beat MD 59-0...Purdue beat Maryland 40-14....I’m nervous for the game too, but more because I’m a scarred Minnesota fan. Barring a massive letdown, we should beat MD handily. If not, then this team simply isn’t very good, let alone win the west good.

A team like maryland with skill and athletes all over the place can simply win if everything clicks and we don't play great. It doesn't mean we aren't good if we don't win, and doesn't mean we can't win the west. It means we still control our destiny, and need to play better.

I don't think we are a great team YET. So I would expect a loss in a game we should win somewhere on the schedule. This game and NW are the only two opportunities for that, so if we can stay clean in both games, I'd say we are ahead of schedule and need a win against either Wisconsin or Iowa and we win the west.

Athlon Sports has a full preview, predicting a close 31-27 win for Minnesota
The Gophers are more talented, are at home and a healthier team than their opponent. But with the Terrapins getting some of their best players back this week, combined with Minnesota's looming matchup with Penn State on the horizon, this has the feel of a game that could be closer than the experts (Vegas) think. The Gophers squeak one out here on Saturday, but I would not be surprised one bit to see Maryland cover the spread if Minnesota gets caught looking ahead.

Athlon Sports has a full preview, predicting a close 31-27 win for Minnesota
The Gophers are more talented, are at home and a healthier team than their opponent. But with the Terrapins getting some of their best players back this week, combined with Minnesota's looming matchup with Penn State on the horizon, this has the feel of a game that could be closer than the experts (Vegas) think. The Gophers squeak one out here on Saturday, but I would not be surprised one bit to see Maryland cover the spread if Minnesota gets caught looking ahead.

That makes no sense. Maryland can’t cover the spread as the underdog.

IMO this game is far bigger than Penn St. We should be able to beat Maryland at home. It will show that we’ve separated from the middle of the pack B1G teams. Penn St is a legitimate top 10 team and is probably better than we are right now. Take care of Maryland and NW, and one of Iowa or Wisky and the West is in play along with the best season of our lifetimes.

Top Bottom