Turkey of the Year - Most of the Twin Cities Media is irresponsible.

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
P...... R..... 2018 The Authentic Turkeys (aka Turkey of the Year)
..."TAT No. 1: P.J. Fleck. Heres the mystery: Strident defenders of Flecks sloganeering and sugarcoating are everywhere, and yet people are showing up for Gophers football games in the smallest numbers in the Tsars memory and that dates to being in the closed end zone of Memorial Stadium on Nov. 13, 1954 (Gophers 22, Iowa 20 in an upset).

The crowd was 65,464, and thats more actual customers than Fleck attracted total in the past three Big Ten games in TCF Bank Stadium. He might beat the flop of a Wisconsin team Saturday, and join the 70 percent of Power Five teams that make some form of a bowl game, but even that would leave Phil at 5-13 in Big Ten games at Minnesota and in a half-empty stadium thats the second smallest in the conference.

This is Year 1 in Fleck math, and its also Year 1 for The Authentic Turkeys, and the Top TAT turns out to be Philip John Fleck. The Tsar hopes that floats everyones boat.
"

My Comments: It is now time for the fans to get in their two cents. We are 1 of 10 undefeated teams among the Power 5 teams, we are on the cusp of having gameday in the Twin Cities, we have our best start in over 50 years, attendance is up at TCF Bank stadium, I see Maroon and Gold on more random people on the street, no major issues with behavior, and we're on top of the B1G West. Sounds like someone we should name a building or build a statue for. I like what I'm seeing and forgive me if I get offended when much of the news media tries to take all that away by minimizing our efforts. Time for the media to eat some crow.

My nomination for Turkey of the Year is the Twin Cities Media and especially the Chair of the Turkey Committee.

Last edited:

Coming from someone that feels they get better and more timely information from this blog; I don't care what the local media says and don't read or listen to it. As PJ continues to build the program the fans will come no matter what the local media says. I heard an interesting stat a while back, 50% of all people in MN have a direct or 1 degree connection to the UofM - a grandparent, a parent, a sibling, a spouse, a child. You probably have to go to Alabama or Mississippi to beat that - after factoring in all the inter familial relationships that extends the family well beyond the typical definition.

P...... R..... 2018 The Authentic Turkeys (aka Turkey of the Year)
..."TAT No. 1: P.J. Fleck. Heres the mystery: Strident defenders of Flecks sloganeering and sugarcoating are everywhere, and yet people are showing up for Gophers football games in the smallest numbers in the Tsars memory and that dates to being in the closed end zone of Memorial Stadium on Nov. 13, 1954 (Gophers 22, Iowa 20 in an upset).

The crowd was 65,464, and thats more actual customers than Fleck attracted total in the past three Big Ten games in TCF Bank Stadium. He might beat the flop of a Wisconsin team Saturday, and join the 70 percent of Power Five teams that make some form of a bowl game, but even that would leave Phil at 5-13 in Big Ten games at Minnesota and in a half-empty stadium thats the second smallest in the conference.

This is Year 1 in Fleck math, and its also Year 1 for The Authentic Turkeys, and the Top TAT turns out to be Philip John Fleck. The Tsar hopes that floats everyones boat.
"

My Comments: It is now time for the fans to get in their two cents. We are 1 of 10 undefeated teams among the Power 5 teams, we are on the cusp of having gameday in the Twin Cities, we have our best start in over 50 years, attendance is up at TCF Bank stadium, I see Maroon and Gold on more random people on the street, no major issues with behavior, and we're on top of the B1G West. Sounds like someone we should name a building or build a statue for. I like what I'm seeing and forgive me if I get offended when much of the news media tries to take all that away by minimizing our efforts. Time for the media to eat some crow.

My nomination for Turkey of the Year is the Twin Cities Media and especially the Chair of the Turkey Committee.

We are actually one of eight undeafted power 5 teams - SMU and App State are in the AAC and Sun Belt respectively.

Too early.

We just know we're not going worse than 7-6 until we beat Maryland.

This is from almost a year ago.

Reuse should be the Turkey this year. he is old and stupid a d irrelevant

As noted, the Reusse column is old. and the point of his item was that attendance at Gopher football was approaching an historic low - a factual statement when you consider actual attendance as opposed to announced ticket sales.

to be honest - before the Wisconsin game, when the Gophers were 5-6 and drawing 'crowds' of just over 15,000 people, did anyone predict that the program would show this much improvement this quickly? Hindsight is always 20-20. If the Gophers had lost to Wisconsin last year and finished 5-7 with no bowl game, it's an entirely different story. Instead, they beat Wisconsin, won the bowl game, and went into the off-season with some momentum.

It's like the Vikes fans who wanted to dump Cousins three weeks ago, and now they love him again. Winning changes everything.

As noted, the Reusse column is old. and the point of his item was that attendance at Gopher football was approaching an historic low - a factual statement when you consider actual attendance as opposed to announced ticket sales.

to be honest - before the Wisconsin game, when the Gophers were 5-6 and drawing 'crowds' of just over 15,000 people, did anyone predict that the program would show this much improvement this quickly? Hindsight is always 20-20. If the Gophers had lost to Wisconsin last year and finished 5-7 with no bowl game, it's an entirely different story. Instead, they beat Wisconsin, won the bowl game, and went into the off-season with some momentum.

It's like the Vikes fans who wanted to dump Cousins three weeks ago, and now they love him again. Winning changes everything.

Yeah, but the Gophers didn't lose to Wisconsin. they beat them badly. You might as well speculate what would have happened if the Gophers had won the games they had lost. They gave Ohio State a great game. What if the Gophers had won? Not sure about the point you are making. Are you saying Reusse was correct to name Fleck his Turkey of the year?

The Reusse column naming Fleck his Turkey of the year for 2018 will go down as the single biggest piece of evidence that he continually went out of his way to poke at anything related to Gopher football. The Wild were in turmoil and well on their way to missing the playoffs. The Vikings missed the playoffs despite going out to get Cousins. The Twins missed the playoffs after getting there in 2017. And The Timberwolves were right in the middle of perhaps the goofiest sagas of their goof filled franchise history - all at the time when Reusse decided to make Fleck his Turkey of the year. Not sure how anyone could sugar coat the petty nature of the local columnist after that. How fitting that two days later the Gophers beat the Badgers and then went on to upset Georgia Tech in the bowl.

Sports media has for the most part found it is easier to just troll around and recycle complaints and what not.

Yeah, but the Gophers didn't lose to Wisconsin. they beat them badly. You might as well speculate what would have happened if the Gophers had won the games they had lost. They gave Ohio State a great game. What if the Gophers had won? Not sure about the point you are making. Are you saying Reusse was correct to name Fleck his Turkey of the year?

The Reusse column naming Fleck his Turkey of the year for 2018 will go down as the single biggest piece of evidence that he continually went out of his way to poke at anything related to Gopher football. The Wild were in turmoil and well on their way to missing the playoffs. The Vikings missed the playoffs despite going out to get Cousins. The Twins missed the playoffs after getting there in 2017. And The Timberwolves were right in the middle of perhaps the goofiest sagas of their goof filled franchise history - all at the time when Reusse decided to make Fleck his Turkey of the year. Not sure how anyone could sugar coat the petty nature of the local columnist after that. How fitting that two days later the Gophers beat the Badgers and then went on to upset Georgia Tech in the bowl.

The guy gets like 6 likes per tweet. This board is the only group of people still paying attention to him. Nobody else cares.

Last edited:

Top Bottom