Road Trip for Iowa game

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
We’ve decided this year that Iowa will be our one road game we travel for. Iowa is a pretty lame state by most accounts, but I’d like to ask anyone that has been there for the game in the past, is there anything fun to do near the stadium/near campus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of tailgating that's about it. Highly recommend taking the train from coralville mall to get there

Plenty of tailgating that's about it. Highly recommend taking the train from coralville mall to get there

Interesting, I’ve never heard of the train from Coralville mall. Is it like an old school train, or like our light rail?

Its called the Hawkeye Express. I have never done it.
https://cedarrapids.momcollective.c.../everything-need-know-riding-hawkeye-express/

We tailgate at Finkbine Golf Course which is west of the stadium and then walk about 1/2-3/4 mile to Kinnick. Get there early.

We stay in Cedar Rapids. One year we did the Amana Colonies.

We booked our hotel in Cedar Rapids, price dropped off a ton once we checked that town. Is the golf course a popular spot to tailgate? Also, how early is early in this situation?

Thanks for all the advice

Ive taken the train both times I’ve been to games there. Easy to get on and drops off near stadium. It takes a little longer to get back to your car depending on when you leave from the game.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of the train from Coralville mall. Is it like an old school train, or like our light rail?

Saying mall was kind of misleading but its right by the mall. $12 a person. Old school train. You can drink on it. Drops you off at the bottom of a ****load of stairs just outside kinnick. It's super cool. 10-15 minute ride

I've been to several Iowa games over the years, including a couple of non-Gopher games. I would try to do the public parking at the Finkbine Commuter Lot #65 (across from their basketball arena). Don't confuse it with the actual Finkbine Golf Course parking, which is a different road altogether (and also an option, but if its raining they won't let you park on the course).

I like the commuter lot because it is hard surface and a little closer to the stadium and I think a better tailgating situation. It is open to the public for $25 per car, but you have to get there well ahead of kickoff (like 4 hours ahead, which if you want to tailgate, go for it). Depending on where you bought your tickets, you can buy a prepaid pass for that lot. If you have a car full of people, it'll be cheaper than taking the train at $12 per person, too. Plus if you take the train, you really can't tailgate on your own since you park at the Mall. You would need to go find people to hang out with.

https://footballgameday.hawkeyesports.com/public-parking-2

Last edited:

We’ve decided this year that Iowa will be our one road game we travel for. Iowa is a pretty lame state by most accounts, but I’d like to ask anyone that has been there for the game in the past, is there anything fun to do near the stadium/near campus?

While Iowa may be lame, gameday on campus is a lot of fun. I've been three times and always had positive experiences with their fans. It's been a few years, so I don't recall our exact tailgating specifics (I think one year we just parked on the road next to the dental school or some random place like that). So I don't have much to suggest, other to say that you will definitely have fun no matter what you choose (as long as you don't start the "Who Hates Iowa" chant). Kinnick is one of my favorite B1G stadia.

Last edited:

While Iowa may be lame, gameday on campus is a lot of fun. I've been three times and always had positive experiences with their fans. It's been a few years, so I don't recall our exact tailgating specifics, so don't have much to offer. Just to say that you will definitely have fun no matter what you choose (as long as you don't start the "Who Hates Iowa" cheer). Kinnick is one of my favorite B1G stadia.

Iowa as a state may be lame, but Iowa City is far from it. Great college town, awesome party scene, Kinnick is a great place to watch a game.

Head to the pedmall and go bar hopping.

We booked our hotel in Cedar Rapids, price dropped off a ton once we checked that town. Is the golf course a popular spot to tailgate? Also, how early is early in this situation?

Thanks for all the advice

Yes it is.

Its easy to get to coming from CR. Stay on 218S and exit east on Melrose Ave. The course is on the north side of Melrose Ave on the edge of town. As usual get there early as traffic will build the closer to KO.

Its a fun walk to Kinnic as the crowd is mixed with Iowa and Mn fans. Plus there are lots of Hawkeye fan pre-game party's to walk by on Melrose so that can be interesting.

Have fun!

It's not exactly in the area, but there is the Field of Dreams movie site. We were coming back a game at Iowa a couple years ago and wee saw a sign for the Field of Dreams movie site, so we stopped in. It was fun running the bases. We were on the way to Effigy Mounds National Monument. It's a little bit out of the way, but it was fun.

https://fieldofdreamsmoviesite.com/

I've been there 5 times; other than a bad apple here & there, my experiences with the Iowa fans down in Iowa City has been much more pleasant than with them when they come to Minneapolis.

Last time we were there, we parked in the Myrtle Ave. lot, tailgated, and had a fun time with the Iowa fans. We stayed downtown at the Sheraton (don't know what it's named now, it was a Holiday Inn at one point as well when we stayed there). It's expensive & probably sold out already, but you're right in the thick of things. We parked our car there overnight so we didn't have to worry about getting there early & walked back & then walked there day of game.

ILL BE THERE. I went 4-5 years ago for gophers game and NDSU/IOWA game 2 years ago when we beat them as #13.

park at Finkbine Golf Course on west side . $20. then proceed to walk down Melrose Ave.. literally house parties on lawns all the way to stadium. couple bars there too. then gopher fans were on west side of kinnick on the pavement there tailgating

I always enjoy providing recommendations for Gopher fans when the travel to Iowa City. As others said, Iowa City is the anti-thesis of Iowa and there's much to do. I can provide more recommendations for bars, eateries, and must-sees...plus some great places if you stay in Cedar Rapids.

So far as tailgating, I recommend Myrtle Ave. lot for those who want to be a short walk from Kinnick and in a lively atmosphere. Finkbine Commuter lot is fine but a little more family-oriented.

The train is fine if you are just packing a cooler and walking to a tailgate near the stadium. It's most convenient but offers less of what makes Kinnick unique: tailgates in every lawn and every inch of area around the stadium.

I've been to several Iowa games over the years, including a couple of non-Gopher games. I would try to do the public parking at the Finkbine Commuter Lot #65 (across from their basketball arena). Don't confuse it with the actual Finkbine Golf Course parking, which is a different road altogether (and also an option, but if its raining they won't let you park on the course).

I like the commuter lot because it is hard surface and a little closer to the stadium and I think a better tailgating situation. It is open to the public for $25 per car, but you have to get there well ahead of kickoff (like 4 hours ahead, which if you want to tailgate, go for it). Depending on where you bought your tickets, you can buy a prepaid pass for that lot. If you have a car full of people, it'll be cheaper than taking the train at $12 per person, too. Plus if you take the train, you really can't tailgate on your own since you park at the Mall. You would need to go find people to hang out with.

https://footballgameday.hawkeyesports.com/public-parking-2

Thank you!

Yes it is.

Its easy to get to coming from CR. Stay on 218S and exit east on Melrose Ave. The course is on the north side of Melrose Ave on the edge of town. As usual get there early as traffic will build the closer to KO.

Its a fun walk to Kinnic as the crowd is mixed with Iowa and Mn fans. Plus there are lots of Hawkeye fan pre-game party's to walk by on Melrose so that can be interesting.

Have fun!

Thank you! Appreciate it

ILL BE THERE. I went 4-5 years ago for gophers game and NDSU/IOWA game 2 years ago when we beat them as #13.

park at Finkbine Golf Course on west side . $20. then proceed to walk down Melrose Ave.. literally house parties on lawns all the way to stadium. couple bars there too. then gopher fans were on west side of kinnick on the pavement there tailgating

Awesome. Sounds like Finkbine Golf Course it is

There is a block of bars 1 mile walk, East of the stadium that is hopping pre and post game and Friday night before as well. Really fun area, probably 20 bars total in a square mile.

I've been to Iowa 3 times, always have had fun time.

We've been welcomed by Ia fans during tailgating and invited for a beer. I've had similar experience with Ia fans as others here have, nice in Ia, dicks in Mpls

was last there in 2015

Any gopher fans planning on doing a tailgate? My brother and I are planning on making the trip down and weighing options. Thanks!

Those that have done it - recommendations for IA City Friday night? Food / drink / football crowd. Thanks!

Those that have done it - recommendations for IA City Friday night? Food / drink / football crowd. Thanks!

You want to be downtown on the Ped Mall. The Iowa Beer Band usually begins their tour after 8pm and stops at Brother's, Sport's Column, Joe's, and a few bars I'm forgetting. Simply, the members of the marching band that can drink play a few songs in bars the night before the game...it's fun.

Food recs- Joseph's (if you want a steak and upscale experience), Green Orchard (upscale), Pullman Diner (intimate, hand-crafted menu), Vue Rooftop (great menu, make a reservation), Mickey's (great bar food and environment), Saint Birch Tavern, and finally grilled cheese from Marco's food stand.

Bars- Joe's Place (upperclassman, professors, locals...GO HERE!), Airliner (staple in Iowa City since 1920s), Brother's (younger crowd), Sport's Column (my favorite undergrad bar), Deadwood (legendary hipster bar to show IC's quirkiness), Clinton Street Social Club (craft cocktails, nice view of Old Capital).

Now that it’s pig week, any other recommendations from experienced ia city travelers? Friday night? Saturday morning, where to park, where to go, etc.? Thanks!

Top Bottom