Maryland Trophy Ideas

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Being it's Land Grant Trophy week, none of us can help but be a little envious of that. With that said, we don't currently have a traveling trophy for the Maryland game. (One of only a few of our games).

To help recognize this great long-standing rivalry, I want ideas on what we could add (either officially or unofficially (broken chair)) to help make our standard east cross-over game even more momentous than it already is.
I was thinking maybe a big traveling "Letter M" of some sort, perhaps made out of corn cobs and coal.

Finding something better than the Land Grant Trophy will be difficult, but perhaps our creative minds can come up with a great idea. Worst case we can assign this job to the Big Ten Trophy Maker who did the fine woodwork for the Land Grant and Governor Victory Bell trophies.

For those of you who are purists, please realize I am being facetious.

Maryland likes to say crab cakes and football

Maybe play for a trophy that has a crab and walleye on it

Crab and Walleye sounds pretty good to me. Strong presence in each's base.

Since we're 13-lined ground squirrels probably a loon in it is out...although the wikipedia says they winter in Maryland...

Smart loons.

Sure, considering the fake trophies we already have with PSU and Nebby, why not add MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, considering the fake trophies we already have with PSU and Nebby, why not add MD.

Tell me how the trophy with Penn State for the Governor’s Victory Bell is fake?

Tell me how the trophy with Penn State for the Governor’s Victory Bell is fake?

It's a silly, made up trophy with no historical significance or tradition.

It's a silly, made up trophy with no historical significance or tradition.

It was to commemorate the entry of Penn State into the Big Ten. It’s not extremely lopsided, they’re ahead 9-5 as of now. After the first 8 meetings it was a 4-4 tie, sounds like a decent rivalry to me. Just because the Gophers haven’t been that great doesn’t mean it can’t be a good rivalry game. Also, what trophy isn’t “made up”? I think trophy games give an opportunity for bragging rights, and that’s always a nice bonus to a conference win.

A glass ball filled with swamp water.
Call it the Muck & Mire Trophy.

It was to commemorate the entry of Penn State into the Big Ten. It’s not extremely lopsided, they’re ahead 9-5 as of now. After the first 8 meetings it was a 4-4 tie, sounds like a decent rivalry to me. Just because the Gophers haven’t been that great doesn’t mean it can’t be a good rivalry game. Also, what trophy isn’t “made up”? <b>I think trophy games give an opportunity for bragging rights, and that’s always a nice bonus to a conference win. </b>

To the bolded: why not have one with every B1G team then?

To the Bell: It is a lame attempt to create a ‘rivalry’. Trophy games should be reserved for actual rivalries that have traditions against each other. That is what makes them cool and we don’t have either with PSU. Each “fake” one created dilutes the “real” ones. I don’t recognize any after The Axe, Floyd, and LBJ.

Broken chair > Governors bell

At least one started organically.

In the future isn't Michigan State going to be the standard East crossover team? I thought I read that some where.

Antoine Winfield Jr’s left foot. Winner gets to keep it for the rest of the season.

To the bolded: why not have one with every B1G team then?

To the Bell: It is a lame attempt to create a ‘rivalry’. Trophy games should be reserved for actual rivalries that have traditions against each other. That is what makes them cool and we don’t have either with PSU. Each “fake” one created dilutes the “real” ones. I don’t recognize any after The Axe, Floyd, and LBJ.

That's a great idea, but we have to solve these one at a time.

Maryland is important right now.

We'll get to Purdue and Illinois later.

That's wonderful.
A few years back my kids and I quit celebrating the Celtic Harvest Festivals like Halloween and we have instead been celebrating the annual celebration of the Land Grant Trophy.
Each year we run down to home depot to pick up brown duct tape and boxing supplies and we create our our own Land Grant Trophy replica each with personalized mascots and photos.

Then upon the evening of October 30's, we set the Land Grant Trophy Replicas onto our front porch stoops awaiting the arrival of the Great George Perles to provide orignal land grant US Postage Stamps to last us through the following calendar year.

Extra stamps are usually taken to work where we share them with other families before they expire.

I hope this comes through ok. I also had to do a search and this came up. LGTrophyexplained.jpg

In the future isn't Michigan State going to be the standard East crossover team? I thought I read that some where.

Correct- Maryland cycles off after 2021 (thankfully).

We'll play Michigan State every season from 2022 - 2025.

How about the “Get out of our conference nobody wants you here and take Rutgers with you trophy?”

If you uncheck the box under the web address field, it will post a larger image.

Let me try that.

LGTrophyexplained.jpg

Top Bottom