J'Marick Woods - Safety - Michigan Graduate - Transferring

For those of you who don't like to read embedded tweets.

Benjamin St. Juste knows this dude and tweeted back at him that he agreed things weren't right in Michigan.

Further down the thread, J'Marick gives Benjamin a mention.

One could read into this that he could be a potential target for two years of safety help. (Can always use secondary depth I would guess).

He's got two years left. Having a deep competition at safety is always a nice problem to have.

especially if one of the safeties has had injury issues.
I also wonder if there's a chance AWJr considers the draft after this year.

He's got two years left. Having a deep competition at safety is always a nice problem to have.

Winfield might be the type to leave early like Maxx Williams did. He doesn't have a lot to prove.

If he can play anything like St-Juste get him here as soon as possible. Fleck has done a good job of bringing in castoffs from helmet schools.

I'm not expecting Winfield back next year. If he is I'll be pleasantly surprised.

A lot of Michigan fans think Woods was better suited as an LB or safety playing the box as he is 6-3, 210 so he could also be a potential Chris Williamson replacement as well. Played in 12 career games with 23 career tackles. I'd definitely take him although we do have 7 DB's committed.

Winfield might be the type to leave early like Maxx Williams did. He doesn't have a lot to prove.

It’s his 4th year in the program. I expect he’ll be gone, if he stays healthy until the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he can play anything like St-Juste get him here as soon as possible. Fleck has done a good job of bringing in castoffs from helmet schools.

Yeah, in addition to OJ, Williamson, St. Juste and Dew-Treadway, former gopher commit and USC transfer Randal Grimes is UNLV's leading receiver and is on pace for over 600 yards and 6 TD's and former K-State and juco All American safety Gervarrius Owens who was once a late gopher signee is starting for Houston. Would have been nice to have those two guys the next two years.

This is the perfect destination for these grad transfers who are good enough to get some snaps at their helmet school, but not quite good enough to start ahead of the hot shot 5-star recruit.

I'm guessing the Winfield family is not living paycheck to paycheck.

Maybe Junior will want to play another year in college.

If I'm Winfield, I look to the NFL unless I really, really like it here.
Considering the time he's been here, I don't expect him to return in 2020.

If Winfield makes it through the entire season healthy, it will be the first time he's done that in his career. I would not be shocked if the NFL people suggested that he should play another year in college to show what he can do.

The NFL is not like the NBA. They don't draft guys after one year based solely on potential.

If Winfield makes it through the entire season healthy, it will be the first time he's done that in his career. I would not be shocked if the NFL people suggested that he should play another year in college to show what he can do.

The NFL is not like the NBA. They don't draft guys after one year based solely on potential.

Winfield is having an all American type season though. So they wouldn’t be drafting him on potential.

Gotta disagree...Mitch Trubisky was the second overall pick after playing one season. They draft guys by combine results more often than on field play. It is more on potential than the NBA in the NFL. The NFL is based on measurables...how do you test, measure, interview etc. Then, it’s oh wait, anybody seen this guy play?

Winfield has two things going against him. Height, which I won't think will matter much in the end since it didn't bother his father and injury prone. If he stays one more year, it will be to prove he put two injury free seasons together. But I think you'll see him go after this one and I'll be happy we had him as long as we did.

I hope he gets a shot @ the NFL. Selfishly I would love him to stay but given his injury history it seems more likely he goes after this year.

I really doubt he's going after this year. What NFL team would take him in anything but the late rounds now when he's missed 17 games in 2 years from 2 separate major injuries? I'd think it's in his best interest to play at least another season and show he is durable so teams will be more willing to use a higher pick on him.

[/B]

Gotta disagree...Mitch Trubisky was the second overall pick after playing one season. They draft guys by combine results more often than on field play. It is more on potential than the NBA in the NFL. The NFL is based on measurables...how do you test, measure, interview etc. Then, it’s oh wait, anybody seen this guy play?

And he’s now played himself into insignificance.

I really doubt he's going after this year. What NFL team would take him in anything but the late rounds now when he's missed 17 games in 2 years from 2 separate major injuries? I'd think it's in his best interest to play at least another season and show he is durable so teams will be more willing to use a higher pick on him.

He was probably always going to be a late rounder anyway. Tyrone Carter won the Jim Thorpe award, and was a 4th round pick, due to his small stature.

Winfield has two things going against him. Height, which I won't think will matter much in the end since it didn't bother his father and injury prone. If he stays one more year, it will be to prove he put two injury free seasons together. But I think you'll see him go after this one and I'll be happy we had him as long as we did.

His dad was a cb though not a safety. You don’t see many small safeties in the nfl.

TC played safety in college. Don't know if that has any relevance with our star Winfield.

Back to the title of this thread. Would there be a scholarship available.

He would have played a full year completely healthy and is playing at an All American level right now and will likely test extremely well at the combine. I would guess forty in the 4.3's. I think he has a good chance to go in the first 3 rounds.

If anything his injury history is more of a reason to think he would declare as he wouldn't want to risk that happening again to him in college.

Last edited:

Back to the title of this thread. Would there be a scholarship available.

We currently have 23 commits and the max number you can sign is 25 so we do have 2 more spots available, plus the possibility of one or several commits decommitting or having a "mutual parting of ways." We also have 7 DB's committed so the question is would we take another? None of them would have the immediate impact this guys would though.

[/B]

The NBA drafts WAY more on potential than the NFL. It's not even close. Every single year there are boatloads of first team All Big Ten/ACC/Big East and All Americans that go undrafted. In the CFB if you are an All American than have a great chance at getting drafted and if you are first team All Big Ten then you have a good chance at being drafted. Ultimately if you are a good college football player, you have a good shot to play in the league. If you are a good college basketball player that is a senior, you have very little chance of making in in the NBA.

And in the NBA you have guys like Skal Labissiere who averaged about 6 points and 4 rebounds and was a first round pick. Deyonta Davis and Stephen Adams averaged about 8 points, 6 rebounds and were first round picks. Kelly Oubre and Zach Lavine averaged about 9 PPG and were lottery picks. You never ever see someone that had that little production get drafted in the NFL.

Top Bottom