Silly post as we anxiously await Saturday

STPGopher

Reaction score
Have we decided that Tanner CAN throw 40 yards?

Asking for a moms best friend...

Let's say we knew the answer to that.

How would it impact attendance and whatever weird unrelated social commentary we want to drag into it?

I believe his deepest pass so far is about 55 yards in the air....the one Bateman dropped in the end zone against GSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe his deepest pass so far is about 55 yards in the air....the one Bateman dropped in the end zone against GSU.

With the wind?

Was he using a regulation sized ball or one of those Nerf balls?

Definitely, and even without a running start. I think we’re on to whether our place kicker can hit one from 40+ yards.

I remember a similar debate a few years ago, with Teddy Bridgewater when he was with the Vikings. A lot of people were convinced he couldn’t throw 50 yards. The first time he did that in a game was his 2nd season in a pre-season game. It had a lot of air under it.

Nevermind that, can he throw a tight spiral??

Remember the days when we used to debate how good/bad our QB's spiral-throwing was?

I remember a similar debate a few years ago, with Teddy Bridgewater when he was with the Vikings. A lot of people were convinced he couldn’t throw 50 yards. The first time he did that in a game was his 2nd season in a pre-season game. It had a lot of air under it.

Teddy seems like an alright guy but damn it felt like there was so much love and waiting around for him with the injury and all and I was all .... Guies, Teddy is ok, but he's just ok!

Remember the days when we used to debate how good/bad our QB's spiral-throwing was?

Back then it was awful. Although the announcer last week did make some duck calls on a few first half throws.

Teddy seems like an alright guy but damn it felt like there was so much love and waiting around for him with the injury and all and I was all .... Guies, Teddy is ok, but he's just ok!

As much as I hate the Saints, I’ve enjoyed watching him succeed over these last 5 games. I’m a fan.

As much as I hate the Saints, I’ve enjoyed watching him succeed over these last 5 games. I’m a fan.

Ditto. He had some nice runs Sunday. I have always liked the two gloves thing...

Mitch “The Wobbler” Leidner

That was because we were all trying to figure out why in an era of explosive passing attacks we consistently looked like we were mystified by the concept of the forward pass and how it could be used in an offense.

So glad those days are gone....just for fun pulled up the 2013 passing stats

2013 - 13 games - 1925 yards - 148.1 yards per game - 12 TD - 7 INT
2019 - 7 games - 1623 yards - 231.9 yards per game - 16 TD - 3 INT

Last edited:

That was because we were all trying to figure out why in an era of explosive passing attacks we consistently looked like we were mystified by the concept of the forward pass and how it could be used in an offense.

Just for fun.

Oh, so you don’t think a tight spiral makes it easier for the WR to catch? IALTO

I'm still not sure if the forward pass is really legal...

Who cares. I've liked what he has been doing whatever the distance he has been throwing.

Leidner. The "good old days" when the high water mark for our quarterback was 75 yards passing for 4 quarters

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With the wind?

Was he using a regulation sized ball or one of those Nerf balls?

Maybe I’m totally wrong on this, having never compared the two side by side, but I feel like it would be a lot harder to throw a nerf ball 40 yards than a pigskin.

On that note, I’m bringing a football to the tailgate at lot 37 so maybe we can mark off 40 yards and everyone from Gopherhole can try their luck at that distance.

Last edited:

I'll take Tanner and his gamer mentality @ any distance. His 1st half @ Rutgers reminded me that I expected his high accuracy rate to always be consistent.

I'll take Tanner and his gamer mentality @ any distance. His 1st half @ Rutgers reminded me that I expected his high accuracy rate to always be consistent.

Even when he is off, it is not a total meltdown like what we had vs. Wisconsin in 2016. Not making plays is one thing, basically making plays for the other team is a another level of self-destruction.

Perhaps for fun we can throw in how much ball inflation Tanner Morgan prefers... ala Tom Brady.

Speaking of silly thoughts: Since we don’t know what’s wrong with Zack...is he our starting QB versus Penn St or will we need to wait until the Northwestern game to see him?

Speaking of silly thoughts: Since we don’t know what’s wrong with Zack...is he our starting QB versus Penn St or will we need to wait until the Northwestern game to see him?

I think it depends on if we have an even or odd number of those little black rubber bits on the field.

Maybe I’m totally wrong on this, having never compared the two side by side, but I feel like it would be a lot harder to throw a nerf ball 40 yards than a pigskin.

On that note, I’m bringing a football to the tailgate at lot 37 so maybe we can mark off 40 yards and everyone from Gopherhole can try their luck at that distance.

Those ones with the tail fins can be thrown a long ways. The key with a Nerf ball is that they go about the same distance whether you half throw or put all your might into them. So if you can throw a Nerf ball 40 yards, it'd be easier to do with a Nerf, but if you can't...

Even when he is off, it is not a total meltdown like what we had vs. Wisconsin in 2016. Not making plays is one thing, basically making plays for the other team is a another level of self-destruction.

That was awful, though in Leidner's defense, the receivers dropped the first four or five passes of the 2nd half, so I think he figured his passes must be uncatchable by anyone... :)

As a whole, that is probably my least favorite half of football as a Gopher fan. Granted, as a "meltdown" it pales compared to 2003, 2005, the Insight Bowl, though knowing the Gophers win the West if they hang on, it really stung.

Last edited:

College footballs have painted stripes on them whereas NFL footballs do not. The painted stripes impede the pigskin’s ability to spin evenly. Hence you’ll notice NFL quarterbacks have tighter spirals on their passes.

Before I answer if Tanner can throw 40 yards, I need an answer to a question.

Is this going to be hand measured or electronic?

College footballs have painted stripes on them whereas NFL footballs do not. The painted stripes impede the pigskin’s ability to spin evenly. Hence you’ll notice NFL quarterbacks have tighter spirals on their passes.

Science!

Top Bottom