Tanner Morgan - starter through Year 1

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
Tanner Morgan took over as a starter 1 year ago this week.

13 games
11-2 record

177 completions
282 attempts
62.8% comp percentage
2,775 yards
25 touchdowns
7 interceptions
9.8 yards per attempt
169.7 QB Rating

If that was his "season", how would that stack up all-time for Gophers?

2,775 yards would be 3rd most in a season behind Weber (2,895 in 2007) and Cupito (2,819 in 2006).

25 touchdowns would set the single season mark, eclipsing Weber's 24 in 2007.

62.8% completion would rank 2nd all time behind Asad Abdul-Khaliq in 2003 (63.2%)

9.8 yards per attempt would also set the single season mark, currently held by Rickey Foggie in 1985 (9.7)

169.7 QB rating would be tops in Gopher history, also beating out Abdul-Khaliq in 2003 (162.3)

Last edited:

Pretty impressive stuff right there. True testament to just how good Morgan has been was in how frustrating it was to see him struggle early in the Rutgers game. We have just gotten used to him being on target most of the time that it was a little shocking to see him missing receivers and making poor throws.

Who was the last Gopher QB to have an 11-2 stretch of games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who was the last Gopher QB to have an 11-2 stretch of games?

Abdul-Khaliq went 10-3 over a 13 game stretch from 2002-03.

Sandy Stephens also had a 10-3 stretch from 1960-61.

Records get a bit tricky going further back, but I'll assume it is somebody from 1940-41 era (Bill Garnaas?).

I'm not saying this to be a wet blanket because I really enjoy Morgan's play at QB... but I wonder what his stats would look like if he had his set of receivers switched out for those that Leidner or other recent less accomplished QB's had to throw to?

I'm sure it has helped, but Morgan has done his part with a lot of accurate balls including the one I will never forget: that beauty he threw to CAB in the corner against Fresno State, when it mattered most. Better than his stats, he has proven to be a winner and the kind of guy that gets better instead of worse at the critical times. That means a lot in any football position but especially at QB.

I'm not saying this to be a wet blanket because I really enjoy Morgan's play at QB... but I wonder what his stats would look like if he had his set of receivers switched out for those that Leidner or other recent less accomplished QB's had to throw to?

I'm sure it has helped, but Morgan has done his part with a lot of accurate balls including the one I will never forget: that beauty he threw to CAB in the corner against Fresno State, when it mattered most. Better than his stats, he has proven to be a winner and the kind of guy that gets better instead of worse at the critical times. That means a lot in any football position but especially at QB.

or the scheme changed, or... it could go on and on. I think the thing you can see is Morgan reads the field better than Mitch (he's not perfect, but better) and that is what makes the biggest of differences. Well that and that he more consistently throws a spiral, which is the key to all things

Yes, but we can also wonder how Jalen Hurts or Tua wound look throwing to the previous Gopher receivers. It’s not a coincidence that the top 5 QBs in efficiency rating (Hurts, Burrow, Tua, Fields, Morgan) all have elite targets to throw to. Regardless of WR talent, the throws still need to be accurate, as this season’s version of Trevor Lawrence has shown.

That’s pretty legit.

If you extrapolate his numbers this year to 13 games then that gets you 3,014 yards, 29.7 TD's and 5.5 INT's along with his current 66% completion rate.

Very similar numbers to what Zach Terrell had at WMU most years.

Top Bottom