ESPN: Lane Kiffin fined $5,000 for blind-refs tweet

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Conference USA fined Florida Atlantic coach Lane Kiffin $5,000 and publicly reprimanded him on Sunday for violating the league's sportsmanship policy one day after he tweeted a photograph that depicted on-field officials as being blind.

Kiffin was upset about the officiating in the Owls' 36-31 loss to Marshall on Saturday, which dropped FAU's record to 4-3, 2-1 in Conference USA. The lead changed four times in the final 10:09, with the Thundering Herd taking the lead for good on Brenden Knox's 17-yard run with 36 seconds to go.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...coach-lane-kiffin-fined-5000-blind-refs-tweet

Go Gophers!!

This is amazing. Also, I'm surprised a college head coach can do this and only be fined $5,000 for it

Other than the Packers, I think most officials do an ok job except when they call the Gophs for holding by the defensive line. Probably has not been called anywhere in college football in recorded history but for the 3 times the U had it called against them this year.

I could be wrong I think we’ve been called 4 times - twice vs SDSU, once vs FSU, then the one the day.

Overall the officials do an incredible job, particularly on close calls on foot in/out of bounds, spots, etc which makes it all the more a mystery when fouls, eg offensive holding, are not picked up when they occur right in front of the official, at the point of attack where at least one or more officials have a clear view of what’s happening. And, ticky tack fouls are sometimes called where virtually nothing happens. This is perplexing and frustrating for players, coaches, fans.

I think that discrepancy is why many fans and some coaches call out the officials out because it sure looks suspicious with a variety of motives, or at minimum as incompetence. Again, overall the officiating seems pretty good but at times it doesn’t see above board which affects the integrity and interest in the game.

Other than the Packers, I think most officials do an ok job except when they call the Gophs for holding by the defensive line. Probably has not been called anywhere in college football in recorded history but for the 3 times the U had it called against them this year.

I actually saw it in another game this week.

It is a 'point of emphasis' this year.

I could be wrong I think we’ve been called 4 times - twice vs SDSU, once vs FSU, then the one the day.

Overall the officials do an incredible job, particularly on close calls on foot in/out of bounds, spots, etc which makes it all the more a mystery when fouls, eg offensive holding, are not picked up when they occur right in front of the official, at the point of attack where at least one or more officials have a clear view of what’s happening. And, ticky tack fouls are sometimes called where virtually nothing happens. This is perplexing and frustrating for players, coaches, fans.

I think that discrepancy is why many fans and some coaches call out the officials out because it sure looks suspicious with a variety of motives, or at minimum as incompetence. Again, overall the officiating seems pretty good but at times it doesn’t see above board which affects the integrity and interest in the game.

I think the ticky tack calls that have no bearing on the actual play, but huge bearing on the results of the play after the flag thrown, are by far the most frustrating. These erode confidence in the whole game. It seems especially bad in the NFL to the extent it's unwatchable at times. I hear the new XFL is promoting that officials will have less impact on the game and violations away from the play (unless egregious) will not be enforced. That sounds promising.

per ESPN:

Conference USA fined Florida Atlantic coach Lane Kiffin $5,000 and publicly reprimanded him on Sunday for violating the league's sportsmanship policy one day after he tweeted a photograph that depicted on-field officials as being blind.

Kiffin was upset about the officiating in the Owls' 36-31 loss to Marshall on Saturday, which dropped FAU's record to 4-3, 2-1 in Conference USA. The lead changed four times in the final 10:09, with the Thundering Herd taking the lead for good on Brenden Knox's 17-yard run with 36 seconds to go.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...coach-lane-kiffin-fined-5000-blind-refs-tweet

Go Gophers!!

LOL! It's worth $5,000 to Kiffin.

Top Bottom