[TICKETS REMAINING TRACKING THREAD] - How many seats are unsold vs MD, PSU and WIS?

I legitimately see zero reason to include this in what you're trying to say and it makes everything else you try say seem petty. Particularly when you start with "I bring facts. You bring name-calling and anger". Come on man

Why are you posting this to me? Perhaps you should be directing your comments at the person who called me an asshole, says that, quote, "everything I say is wrong," says my "worldview is ****ed," that I don't know anything about raising kids, that what I post is "BS," and so on. Did I miss anything?

It is interesting, though, that you posted this to me and not him.

Predicted high of 27 degrees and we're imploring the U to lower ticket prices for children? OK, then.

It's Minnesota, and unless you are planning on not letting the children leave the house all winter I'm assuming most people can bundle them up sufficiently for the cold.

$78 for a family of four is $312 to attend this game. That's a month worth of groceries for some people.
If you don't think people are priced out at that level then you're crazy.

I don’t see this type of game as one you’d generally bring your kids to. If it’s me, I’m bringing them to a cheap non conference game because, unless they’re older, they don’t know the difference between a game against Penn St and Georgia Southern.

Penn St is a type of game I’m going with my buddies.

I don't think the issue is with the die hards its with the casual fans. Someone who is a die hard Viking fan and casual gopher fan may look at $100 a ticket as a joke but fine paying $200 for a Viking game.

A die hard gopher fan is fine paying $100 a ticket but would completely say no to paying $50 a ticket for a St. Thomas game or some other team they are a casual fan of even if it was the biggest game in a while for them.

It's easy for us to rip people for not paying to go to this game because we're the die hards

This is true. Many of the people on this board and in this thread advocating for less expensive tickets, called "whiners" by some, are already season ticket holders. Most of us are not saying WE won't go because of higher prices -- we're just being realistic about attracting new ticket holders.

The seats right in front of our group of seven are available for the Penn State game at $115 each. I told my friend, who has Wolves season tickets and has had Twins season tickets in the past. He attends Gopher football with me on occasion when I have an extra ticket, and he enjoys it. But he had no interest in paying $250 (with fees) for he and his wife to attend. He said he had already thought about it, but he'll watch it on TV. He has the money, he's a Minnesota sports fan and a Gopher fan -- but it's more than he wants to pay, for whatever reason. Money? Weather? Morning game? Who knows?

The cost is higher than this market will bear.

My daughter and neighborhood friends spent most freetime winter daylight hours outside ice skating, sledding, digging snow tunnels and such in much colder weather than 27 degrees. No biggie.

I also have three kids if I count the one who died, so I'm also aware of the expenses of raising kids, and in this market, I do take my kids to MNUFC games instead of U of M football games.
I'm a bigger Gopher football fan than I am a MNUFC fan, but my kids the opposite is true. (Perhaps because they go to more MNUFC games).

$4,500 for season tickets! Are you crazy? A family of four can't attend for that! Can you point me to the nearest MNUFC message board so I can start a thread daily for each of the next 10 years telling them how their ticket prices are out of whack? I also would like to know who you think deserves to be called an asshole on the board you direct me to visit. I'm going to find that poster and give him/her a piece of my mind.

(I wouldn't go to a Minnesota United game if it was across the street from my house and you paid me to attend. That's the point that seems to be lost on many - it's not the price, it's just that most don't care about Gophers football as much as they do, at any price.)

$4,500 for season tickets! Are you crazy? A family of four can't attend for that! Can you point me to the nearest MNUFC message board so I can start a thread daily for each of the next 10 years telling them how their ticket prices are out of whack? I also would like to know who you think deserves to be called an asshole on the board you direct me to visit. I'm going to find that poster and give him/her a piece of my mind.

(I wouldn't go to a Minnesota United game if it was across the street from my house and you paid me to attend. That's the point that seems to be lost on many - it's not the price, it's just that most don't care about Gophers football as much as they do, at any price.)

So, you are citing literally the most expensive club level season ticket as your argument?

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/04/23/2019-season-ticket-pricing

I don’t see this type of game as one you’d generally bring your kids to. If it’s me, I’m bringing them to a cheap non conference game because, unless they’re older, they don’t know the difference between a game against Penn St and Georgia Southern.

Penn St is a type of game I’m going with my buddies.

I saw my first Vikings game when I was about 7-8 years old and it happened to be a very big game - a very memorable game. It was the Drew Pearson push off Vikings/Cowboys game - in frigid temps at Metropolitan Stadium. It turned out to be one of the sharpest sports memories of my life. I remember it like it was yesterday.

So, I agree with you to a point and it depends on your definition of "older". I probably don't see value in bringing a toddler to a big time sporting event. A Miami Ohio game would be of the same value for them.

But I see a lot of value in bringing a kid to a big sporting event that he will never forget. That grows memories and it grows fans. I took my son to his first Gopher game when he was 5 - when the Gophers beat Wisconsin in 2003. He says he doesn't remember all of it but overall it has served as a Gopher anchor for him. He went to the game in Madison last year and is one of the few that can say he saw the bookend axe victories with the abyss of the horrible losing streak to Wisconsin in between.

So, if a kid is going to remember a big game - bring them. They won't forget. They get it.

I saw my first Vikings game when I was about 7-8 years old and it happened to be a very big game - a very memorable game. It was the Drew Pearson push off Vikings/Cowboys game - in frigid temps at Metropolitan Stadium. It turned out to be one of the sharpest sports memories of my life. I remember it like it was yesterday.

So, I agree with you to a point and it depends on your definition of "older". I probably don't see value in bringing a toddler to a big time sporting event. A Miami Ohio game would be of the same value for them.

But I see a lot of value in bringing a kid to a big sporting event that he will never forget. That grows memories and it grows fans. I took my son to his first Gopher game when he was 5 - when the Gophers beat Wisconsin in 2003. He says he doesn't remember all of it but overall it has served as a Gopher anchor for him. He went to the game in Madison last year and is one of the few that can say he saw the bookend axe victories with the abyss of the horrible losing streak to Wisconsin in between.

So, if a kid is going to remember a big game - bring them. They won't forget. They get it.

I'm too selfish to bring them when they're young...I won't miss a play of a big game to bring them to the bathroom, clean up crap they spill, listen to them whine etc.

I still have fond memories of seeing the Gophers get in shootouts when Wacker was the coach. They didn't win a lot but when they did it was a blast and I'm glad my dad took me even if I thought it was a bit of a pain at the time.

Definitely wouldn't be on this board if it wasn't for all those games.

Each kid is different. I have 4 kids ages 15, 13, 9, 7.
My 9 year old is the biggest Gopher fan of all of them. He will watch every moment that he can and he records every game so he can re-watch it during the week. I'm bringing him to the PSU game and I bet he'll be more into it than many of the adults in section 211.
The 15 and 13 year old like going to the games and but they won't watch it on TV with me.
The 7 year old doesn't care yet so I have yet to bring him to a home game. But I brought all his siblings to games as early as 5 and they had a great time.

Is it time to point out that the digital ticket plan came to $28/game and other season ticket plans come to $35/game? State fair sale was $10/ticket. There are cheaper ticket options for families of many income levels to attend. Demanding every ticket be cheap for the biggest game in many, many years seems odd to me.

I have a 4 year old who started coming to games at 11 months and loves it. She'll be at home 11/9.

Individual game tickets. Take advantage of promotions and you can get in for about $80-$120 a family. Still $50-$80 for food. Free parking on the streets a few blocks away. Fun outing for the family for about $50 a head.

I didn't call you any names and I won't defend name calling.

My point is of course that of a couple plausible options, they are losing out on some possible fans just because of price.
I know at least one person who is thinking about going to the game but is shocked by the ticket prices.

Last edited:

upper deck shady side:

246 sold out
245 95 @$85, 25 @$105
244 140@$150, 375@$120
243 60@$150, 150@$120
242 170@$215, 180@$335
241 80@$215, 100@335
240 100@$215, 70@$335
239 200@$215, 140@$335
238 17@$150, 100@$110-120
237 125@$150, 240@$110-120
236 5@$105, 18@$85
235 11@105, 90@$85
234 160@$85, 10@$105
233 65@$85
232 20@$105, 190@$85
231 10@$105, 90@$85
230 10@$105, 240@$85
229 $65 seats

?? You have lost me.

This doesn't strike me as the type of game where you want to market it as "Hey, let's make this a nice day out for the entire family." It's one thing if your kids are into and really want to go. If my kids were generally interested, I'd find a way to take them. I don't think you're going to sell many tickets specifically lowering the prices for children.

How do you know the remaining number of seats? I'm constantly searching for that info before games, other teams as well. I just like to follow attendance data

Is it time to point out that the digital ticket plan came to $28/game and other season ticket plans come to $35/game? State fair sale was $10/ticket. There are cheaper ticket options for families of many income levels to attend. Demanding every ticket be cheap for the biggest game in many, many years seems odd to me.

I hear you and have a quick two-part response:
- These tickets are more expensive than our other games this year; they changed the price because of the marquee nature of the match-up
- If this game in particular is not sold out, then it's going to look bad because there is going to be national attention on this one; every recruit is going to be tuned in, every media analyst is going to be watching, and every news outlet is going to show highlights

I would be happy paying $100 more than the person next to me if it means that we're not showing an empty stadium on national TV. PJ Fleck is out there advocating for game day, but we're not even sure if we're going to have butts in the seats.

Last edited:

upper deck shady side:

246 sold out
245 95 @$85, 25 @$105
244 140@$150, 375@$120
243 60@$150, 150@$120
242 170@$215, 180@$335
241 80@$215, 100@335
240 100@$215, 70@$335
239 200@$215, 140@$335
238 17@$150, 100@$110-120
237 125@$150, 240@$110-120
236 5@$105, 18@$85
235 11@105, 90@$85
234 160@$85, 10@$105
233 65@$85
232 20@$105, 190@$85
231 10@$105, 90@$85
230 10@$105, 240@$85
229 $65 seats

246 sold out? I wonder if that's where the Military appreciation tickets are?

How do you know the remaining number of seats? I'm constantly searching for that info before games, other teams as well. I just like to follow attendance data

You can look at each section and count all the green dots, but that's way more effort than I'd be interested in putting forth.

This doesn't strike me as the type of game where you want to market it as "Hey, let's make this a nice day out for the entire family." It's one thing if your kids are into and really want to go. If my kids were generally interested, I'd find a way to take them. I don't think you're going to sell many tickets specifically lowering the prices for children.

Yeah it's looking to be ultra cold.

Like my kids probabbly aren't going, and we HAVE tickets.

Your kid sounds a lot like me, I was 12 at that 2003 game against the Badgers. I’ve been at just about every game since I was 6 or so, with the exception of maybe 4 games in 21 years. I went out to Madison last year alone (wife was sick) to witness history, and I touched the axe. Went to the welcome home rally at Athlete’s Village. Possibly the best sports moment of my life. My wife loves going to the games too, she comes with to every game. I owe my love for Gopher Football to my Dad, RIP. I’ll never stop supporting, never stop owning season tickets, and if my kids don’t end up loving them too then it’s gonna be extremely disappointing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the issue is with the die hards its with the casual fans. Someone who is a die hard Viking fan and casual gopher fan may look at $100 a ticket as a joke but fine paying $200 for a Viking game.

A die hard gopher fan is fine paying $100 a ticket but would completely say no to paying $50 a ticket for a St. Thomas game or some other team they are a casual fan of even if it was the biggest game in a while for them.

It's easy for us to rip people for not paying to go to this game because we're the die hards
This. 100% this. I have friends who don't have two nickels to rub together who will think nothing of paying $200 for Vikings tickets, but wouldn't come to a Gopher game if I gave them tickets for free.

The real problem here is perception. Gopher football hasn't been the "in" thing for a long, long time. There was a time when the Vikings didn't sell out regularly in the 1990s, then Randy Moss and the '98 team happened, and perception did too.

Our hopes shouldn't be wrapped around the attendance of this game...our hopes should be winning this game, and follow it up with a few more this year, change perception, and then sell out games next year.

One other thing to note...Gopher athletics changed the ticket protocol for basketball and hockey after the football season last year. My guess is changes are coming to football during this off-season as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

We can argue all day about what a family of four can afford, but the bottom line is the ticket prices are too high for the current demand.
As the the demand increases the prices can too. Most competent sports organizations realize this. The U is not one of them.

Bingo. Supply and Demand is not a complicated concept. It shouldn’t be for a University - that is for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

246 sold out? I wonder if that's where the Military appreciation tickets are?

I chalk it up to people just liking to sit near me (246 row 1). ;)

It is a really fun section in the first few rows. We are yelling on third downs even when the play is 90 yards away.

This. 100% this. I have friends who don't have two nickels to rub together who will think nothing of paying $200 for Vikings tickets, but wouldn't come to a Gopher game if I gave them tickets for free.

The real problem here is perception. Gopher football hasn't been the "in" thing for a long, long time. There was a time when the Vikings didn't sell out regularly in the 1990s, then Randy Moss and the '98 team happened, and perception did too.

Our hopes shouldn't be wrapped around the attendance of this game...our hopes should be winning this game, and follow it up with a few more this year, change perception, and then sell out games next year.

One other thing to note...Gopher athletics changed the ticket protocol for basketball and hockey after the football season last year. My guess is changes are coming to football during this off-season as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Michigan 2003 gets brought up a lot. Huge game and sold out. Gophers lost and the next week the crowd was gone. Our own history has shown that building a fan base takes more than just getting people in the door.

Michigan 2003 gets brought up a lot. Huge game and sold out. Gophers lost and the next week the crowd was gone. Our own history has shown that building a fan base takes more than just getting people in the door.

This! Yep...the lack of big home wins has hurt. Most recent big home wins vs Wisconsin and Michigan are from too long ago.

Michigan was before many were born. 1977!

If PJ stays the base (I sure hope he does) will be rebuilt and those big home wins will come more often.

GM

sunny side lower deck tickets left:

101: 90@$115
103: 96@$115
105: 95@$115
107: 37@$150
108: sold out@$150
109: 8@$150
110: 30@$255
111: 50@$255; 10@$215
112: 13@$215
113: sold out