[TICKETS REMAINING TRACKING THREAD] - How many seats are unsold vs MD, PSU and WIS?

And that's my point. You set the prices at the start of the year to match demand should the team be in the best possible scenario. They are in the best possible scenario, but the prices were set too high.

And that's my point. You set the prices at the start of the year to match demand should the team be in the best possible scenario. They are in the best possible scenario, but the prices were set too high.

Think of it as a go fund me to keep PJ Fleck.

Right, I'm a fairly well-off die-hard Gopher fan, and even I'm balking at those single-game prices.
Those are supposed to be targeted at the casual fan. I just don't see how there are that many people willing to buy them at that price.

I'm super excited for this game, and I'm going to be pretty bummed out of there are rows full of empty seats for the biggest Gopher game in a generation.

The Athletic Department backed themselves into this problem. Hockey is an even more obvious example.

They set the season ticket prices way too high relative to the product on the ice/field. By doing that, their hands are tied from lowering single game ticket prices too much as you will piss off your season ticket holders (your best customers) that realize they could "build" a season ticket package for cheaper.

The Athletic Department backed themselves into this problem. Hockey is an even more obvious example.

They set the season ticket prices way too high relative to the product on the ice/field. By doing that, their hands are tied from lowering single game ticket prices too much as you will piss off your season ticket holders (your best customers) that realize they could "build" a season ticket package for cheaper.

I just don't care about protecting my ticket value for this game. Once prices are double what I paid, you can put a cap on it. My seats average out to about $90 per game. Sell the ones around me for that price until the game is nearly sold out, and then we can worry about jacking up the single-game prices.

Right now they are charging a 66% to 140% premium for single game tickets in my section. That's excessive. Especially because the unsold seats are 5-10 rows behind me.

Basically half of my section is unsold right now. I don't understand it.

Last edited:

Right, I'm a fairly well-off die-hard Gopher fan, and even I'm balking at those single-game prices.
Those are supposed to be targeted at the casual fan. I just don't see how there are that many people willing to buy them at that price.

I'm super excited for this game, and I'm going to be pretty bummed out of there are rows full of empty seats for the biggest Gopher game in a generation.

I'm with you.
I was thinking I was going to buy tickets for sure if both teams were 8-0.
Checked with a friend. He was in. Looked at ticket prices and wow. Just to get in an not be in the corners (Upper deck field side) it's over $100 a piece.
I found that surprising. Then I looked at Vikings tickets and on seatgeek, tickets prices are $450-$1500 for lower level tickets. Who pays that much for a home Vikings game. It seems insane to me.
I appear to be out of touch.

Last sporting event I paid to see was the town-ball playoffs in Dassell. $7 I think to get in the door.
When a ticket for a 3-5 hour events eclipse the cost for a flat screen TV, it gets hard to justify.

I upgraded my seats for that game and paid about $100 per seat to sit in the first 10 rows at the 50 on the home side.

The same tickets today are retailing for $255.

More importantly, TCU was:
- A night game
- The first game of the season
- About 80 degrees and sunny at kickoff

People looked at me like I was nuts for paying $100 for that game.
Now the all-in price is 2.5x, the game starts at 11:00am, and it's going to be below freezing.

The ticket office is currently charging more for bench seats in the corner than I paid for chair-backs seats at the 50.

Interesting comparison. That was Yr 1 of scholarship seating, which I think if that had been the extent of the program would have been much better received, even perhaps accepted by the fanbase at large. It was the Yr 2 & 3 increases which prompted fans to abandon ship in droves. Yr 3 was eventually dropped.

It's unfortunate that the Gophers haven't moved to the world of dynamic pricing, which is what the Twins have done. Essentially, depending on demand, the price of the ticket ebbs and flows to meet the demand of the buyer, but never drops below the price of the season ticket. That way, you're protecting the investment of the season ticket holder, while at the same time, making sure more tickets are sold at a reasonable price point.

It's unfortunate that the Gophers haven't moved to the world of dynamic pricing, which is what the Twins have done. Essentially, depending on demand, the price of the ticket ebbs and flows to meet the demand of the buyer, but never drops below the price of the season ticket. That way, you're protecting the investment of the season ticket holder, while at the same time, making sure more tickets are sold at a reasonable price point.
Don't the twins just have set prices for different tiers? The price doesn't change as the season progresses, does it? The gophers have done the same thing but they just don't have as many tiers as the twins.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Don't the twins just have set prices for different tiers? The price doesn't change as the season progresses, does it? The gophers have done the same thing but they just don't have as many tiers as the twins.

No, dynamic pricing is more next level than just that. They use an algorithm to judge how popular a game will be based on a number of variable factors (weather, team play, day of the week, secondary market prices, etc) to determine the popularity of the ticket. They have done it for several years now, which is why a game on a Monday night in May vs. the Tigers in a particular section may be much cheaper than a Friday night vs. the Yankees in August. It's a real-time process, so technically depending on when you buy your ticket, you may pay several dollars more or less than someone sitting next to you on any given night. In this case, the algorithm would look at the weather and the ticket buying trends, and most likely lower the price as the weeks turn into days. Would help to alleviate the very issue we're all talking about here.

No, dynamic pricing is more next level than just that. They use an algorithm to judge how popular a game will be based on a number of variable factors (weather, team play, day of the week, secondary market prices, etc) to determine the popularity of the ticket. They have done it for several years now, which is why a game on a Monday night in May vs. the Tigers in a particular section may be much cheaper than a Friday night vs. the Yankees in August. It's a real-time process, so technically depending on when you buy your ticket, you may pay several dollars more or less than someone sitting next to you on any given night. In this case, the algorithm would look at the weather and the ticket buying trends, and most likely lower the price as the weeks turn into days. Would help to alleviate the very issue we're all talking about here.

Given the level of revenue the Athletics Department pulls in each year, I'm surprised they haven't moved to implement something like this for all sports. Would be a good way to maximize ticket sales and revenue while making sure prices reflected actual demand.

IIRC,Woody Teague was bullish and almost cocky arrogant in getting the Gophers in line with the rest of D1 programs like the SEC in ticket pricing. It was done without careful consideration of the ramifications. The scholarship seating fee cost the U several season ticket holders.

I can understand the point to raise the revenue stream. But, the manner in which it was done without careful analysis and fan empathy resulted in empty seats in several sports. Men's Hockey is one of them.

IIRC,Woody Teague was bullish and almost cocky arrogant in getting the Gophers in line with the rest of D1 programs like the SEC in ticket pricing. It was done without careful consideration of the ramifications. The scholarship seating fee cost the U several season ticket holders.

I can understand the point to raise the revenue stream. But, the manner in which it was done without careful analysis and fan empathy resulted in empty seats in several sports. Men's Hockey is one of them.

Wasn't hockey and basketball done while Maturi was AD? Football blame seems completely get put on Teague, but it was going to happen in some fashion regardless who was in charge. The wheels had to be in motion long before his regime.

I am pretty sure it was delayed in order to show off the new stadium and get it full as possible during the first few years.

Well I guess it's good I have season tickets! Haven't been buying any extra seats (or when I need to I do it by adding seats through the season ticket portal so I think I pay the base prices that way). I had no idea they were doing dynamic pricing.

I know people will say these are apples and oranges situations, but tonight there are two undefeated, ranked teams hosting football games. And both (smallish) stadiums have lots of empty seats.

I know people will say these are apples and oranges situations, but tonight there are two undefeated, ranked teams hosting football games. And both (smallish) stadiums have lots of empty seats.

They are maximizing revenue.

You’re right - not filling a stadium in a city with a population of ~150k bears no comparison to an urban area of >3.1 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Men’s hockey took a hit when they decided to leave the WCHA and join the Big Ten. Horrible move for attendance.

I looked around noon today, and you could get lower deck seats to the Baylor game for $5 on the secondary market. There were hundreds available for $7 or under. Some people (especially those with kids) probably don’t want to miss Halloween, so that could hurt demand, but still was pretty surprising.

Men’s hockey took a hit when they decided to leave the WCHA and join the Big Ten. Horrible move for attendance.

That and the weird game times that came with it and hell if I know when/ where they are on TV.

Just looking on stubhub it appears the university is selling blocks of tickets on there? There are large blocks in the upper corners. I've seen professional franchises do it. I'm wondering if they aren't included in the available tickets on the university site. I'm looking for a couple for my friend and I so thought your thread was interesting.

Just looking on stubhub it appears the university is selling blocks of tickets on there? There are large blocks in the upper corners. I've seen professional franchises do it. I'm wondering if they aren't included in the available tickets on the university site. I'm looking for a couple for my friend and I so thought your thread was interesting.

This is a really interesting point. The actual number of seats remaining may actually be higher than what's seen on the seating chart because the University could very well be listing hundreds of seats on Stubhub.

I think that will bounce back over time. People were pretty bitter about it, but I think the new crop of fans who never knew the old WCHA don't feel that way.

I looked at the Wisconsin game and was surprised so many good seats were not season tickets.

The good seats at $225 might keep me out though, so there is a bonus for the Athletic Department.

If I was a Gophers fan that hadn't been to a game in awhile and wanted to check it out, those prices would seem to be a huge deterrent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Purchased tickets. 3 additional seats will be filled...in the nosebleeds. That's ok though, beer should have more effect that high up.

I think that will bounce back over time. People were pretty bitter about it, but I think the new crop of fans who never knew the old WCHA don't feel that way.

The new crop of Big 10 hockey fans all carpool together.

Purchased tickets. 3 additional seats will be filled...in the nosebleeds. That's ok though, beer should have more effect that high up.

That is fantastic. See you there right?! The radiant heat from the heating Coyles might just make it up there but dress for cold weather anyway so you can last the entire game.

Hand warmers from Kwik Trip should be high on everyone's list.

I went to the Maryland game and drove 200 miles to get here. Time for the 3.2 million in the cities to get their asses in gear.

Gopher hockey didn't DECIDE to move to the Big Ten. Their hand was forced. Lucia didn't want to. Unrelated but just getting that out there.

Playing in B1G in hockey is not going to change. I for one, think it’s good - long term possibly very good. You’re either in a conference - or you’re not. We’re not NDSU for chrissakes.

Top Bottom