[TICKETS REMAINING TRACKING THREAD] - How many seats are unsold vs MD, PSU and WIS?

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Howdy folks. In the past I've posted some updates about tickets available by game. As a Gopher fan and software engineer, I was curious if there would be any data available in the Chrome DevTools "Network" tab... and there's a gold mine of data. You've probably never paused to think "how does the browser know which color to mark each section?", because you have no reason to. And the answer to that question is: the backend of the ticketing platform we use sends a huge JSON object back to the browser detailing how many seats are available in each section.

Here's an example for the game vs. Maryland:

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 11.18.57 AM.jpg

I verified the above data tied to what is shown on the seating chart, then wrote some Python to tally the total seats available by zone. Here's the data as of 10/21:

Disclaimer** -- The athletic department sometimes holds back a few hundred seats for pending group sales or season tickets. But this data should be mostly accurate, within a few hundred tickets at least. And these numbers as stated could only be too low -- not too high.

vs Maryland:

Date: 10/21 5AM
Zone 1 remaining: 247
Zone 2 remaining: 1014
Zone 3 remaining: 817
Zone 4 remaining: 1463
Zone 5 remaining: 400
Zone 6 remaining: 1287
Zone 7 remaining: 162
Zone 8 remaining: 170
Zone 9 remaining: 1055
Zone 10 remaining: 355
Zone 21 remaining: 7
total: 6977

vs. Penn State:

Zone 1 remaining: 231
Zone 2 remaining: 1006
Zone 3 remaining: 2187
Zone 4 remaining: 1873
Zone 5 remaining: 458
Zone 6 remaining: 3576
Zone 7 remaining: 10
Zone 8 remaining: 342
Zone 9 remaining: 1542
Zone 10 remaining: 261
Zone 21 remaining: 504
total: 11990

vs. Wisconsin

Zone 1 remaining: 259
Zone 2 remaining: 1052
Zone 3 remaining: 1809
Zone 4 remaining: 1595
Zone 5 remaining: 405
Zone 6 remaining: 844
Zone 7 remaining: 0
Zone 8 remaining: 0
Zone 9 remaining: 1152
Zone 10 remaining: 221
Zone 21 remaining: 398
total: 7735

12K remaining for the PSU game. I guess deer hunting trumps Gopher football.

Thanks Hollinsanity! I've never had a reason to ask, "how does the browser know which color to mark each section?", and now I never will. Cool.

None of these games will sell out unless there are big sales from the ticket office. The reason is purely economic and interestingly enough tied back to the grinch of Scholarship Seating. If single game tickets were priced market-appropriately from the start, the remainder of the schedule would already be sold out.

Initially, donations were required in 9,550 of TCF's seats. That number jumped to 28,050 and we saw season ticket holders jump ship by the thousands. While that was happening, the pricing structure of single game tickets also was restructured to reflect the new seating zones applied to season tickets. They basically baked in the Scholarship Seating cost into single game tickets with many locations doubling of tripling.

To the Gopher curious, the face value is astronomical and it is not a coincidence that Fleck hasn't been able to fill the place. I've had trouble giving tickets away and Stubhub is always a better deal than the ticket office.

Compared to what the ticket office wants for Penn State and Wisconsin, Maryland is a huge bargain.

Maryland
Outdoor Club$190.00
Zone 1 - Stadium Seats$145.00
Zone 2 - Stadium Seats$125.00
Zone 3 - Stadium Seats$85.00
Zone 4 - Stadium Seats$70.00
Zone 4 - Bench Seats$65.00
Zone 5 - Stadium Seats$65.00
Zone 5 - Bench Seats$60.00
Zone 6 - Bench Seats$50.00
Zone 7 - Bench Seats$40.00
Zone 7 - Bench Seats (SS)$40.00

Penn State
Outdoor Club$335.00
Zone 1 - Stadium Seats$255.00
Zone 2 - Stadium Seats$215.00
Zone 3 - Stadium Seats$150.00
Zone 4 - Stadium Seats$120.00
Zone 4 - Bench Seats$115.00
Zone 5 - Stadium Seats$110.00
Zone 5 - Bench Seats$105.00
Zone 6 - Bench Seats$85.00
Zone 7 - Bench Seats$65.00
Student Section - BAND$65.00

Wisconsin
Outdoor Club$335.00

None of these games will sell out unless there are big sales from the ticket office. The reason is purely economic and interestingly enough tied back to the grinch of Scholarship Seating. If single game tickets were priced market-appropriately from the start, the remainder of the schedule would already be sold out.

Initially, donations were required in 9,550 of TCF's seats. That number jumped to 28,050 and we saw season ticket holders jump ship by the thousands. While that was happening, the pricing structure of single game tickets also was restructured to reflect the new seating zones applied to season tickets. They basically baked in the Scholarship Seating cost into single game tickets with many locations doubling of tripling.

To the Gopher curious, the face value is astronomical and it is not a coincidence that Fleck hasn't been able to fill the place. I've had trouble giving tickets away and Stubhub is always a better deal than the ticket office.

Well said across the board, agree with everything mentioned.

To add a different angle though, the Gophers are far from the only school struggling to sell tickets. Go look at the number of tickets available for 7-0 Baylor vs West Virginia this week, or even worse vs Oklahoma in two weeks... hint: it’s a lot.

Of course, the matter is made much worse because the ticket office is so incompetent in the way they price the tickets. Will be interesting to see what they do in coming years to address the issue, if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree that our pricing is a mess and way too expensive based on demand. For example, I just went to the Iowa board and every ticket (single game) for their Illinois game is $65 (found 2 near the 50, 27 rows up if I remember right) and all tickets for Minnesota are $80 with youth tickets less than that. Now, they aren't sold out either so it's not a total panacea, but I have to believe we would be sold out if the U got a clue.

I'll be making my pitch to the half dozen or so "strong interest in the Gophers" folks at work to get tickets and jump on board.

If they do it, for several this will be their first time to TCF. I'll be pitching the ease of parking at the Fairgrounds and/or taking the train to the stadium.

I'm thinking the product is now close to selling itself...just need to get them to make that first purchase to become a customer forever.

Compared to what the ticket office wants for Penn State and Wisconsin, Maryland is a huge bargain.

Maryland
Outdoor Club$190.00

Penn State
Outdoor Club$335.00

Wisconsin
Outdoor Club$335.00

Thanks. Great info presentation. One note, $10 service fee on top of these prices.

Howdy folks. In the past I've posted some updates about tickets available by game. As a Gopher fan and software engineer, I was curious if there would be any data available in the Chrome DevTools "Network" tab... and there's a gold mine of data. You've probably never paused to think "how does the browser know which color to mark each section?", because you have no reason to. And the answer to that question is: the backend of the ticketing platform we use sends a huge JSON object back to the browser detailing how many seats are available in each section.

Here's an example for the game vs. Maryland:

View attachment 6383

I verified the above data tied to what is shown on the seating chart, then wrote some Python to tally the total seats available by zone. Here's the data as of 10/21:

Disclaimer** -- The athletic department sometimes holds back a few hundred seats for pending group sales or season tickets. But this data should be mostly accurate, within a few hundred tickets at least. And these numbers as stated could only be too low -- not too high.

vs Maryland:

Zone 1 remaining: 247
Zone 2 remaining: 1014
Zone 3 remaining: 817
Zone 4 remaining: 1463
Zone 5 remaining: 400
Zone 6 remaining: 1287
Zone 7 remaining: 162
Zone 8 remaining: 170
Zone 9 remaining: 1055
Zone 10 remaining: 355
Zone 21 remaining: 7
total: 6977

vs. Penn State:

Zone 1 remaining: 231
Zone 2 remaining: 1006
Zone 3 remaining: 2187
Zone 4 remaining: 1873
Zone 5 remaining: 458
Zone 6 remaining: 3576
Zone 7 remaining: 10
Zone 8 remaining: 342
Zone 9 remaining: 1542
Zone 10 remaining: 261
Zone 21 remaining: 504
total: 11990

vs. Wisconsin

Zone 1 remaining: 259
Zone 2 remaining: 1052
Zone 3 remaining: 1809
Zone 4 remaining: 1595
Zone 5 remaining: 405
Zone 6 remaining: 844
Zone 7 remaining: 0
Zone 8 remaining: 0
Zone 9 remaining: 1152
Zone 10 remaining: 221
Zone 21 remaining: 398
total: 7735

Thanks. This is fabulous information and presentation. The other note is some of the Wisconsin and Nebraska fans (and scalpers) probably bought some of the various packages, where buying a group of games got a discount. I would guess Maryland game seems more sold in this data than it will have butts in seats.

Agree about the ticket prices.

I have a great group of U of MN college friends. One guy is pitching that we buy tickets for Penn State. He prefers seat backs and is floating the $130 seats ($120 + $10 fees). I'm struggling to justify paying that much.

Maryland
Outdoor Club$190.00

Penn State
Outdoor Club$335.00

Wisconsin
Outdoor Club$335.00

attendance comes up over and over and is a major topic of conversation on Gopherhole. This post should be pinned to every one of them. Excellent points and well said. It is horrible the way the scholarship seating gutted the ticket base and it is interesting to see that it continues to haunt attendance going forward. To make a long story short, the U apparently likes empty seats because the obvious fix to this remains something they won't do.

The sad part is if the Gophers are fortunate enough to be 8-0 for the Penn State game and even with a bye week leading up to it there will still likely be open seats all over the place. People won't be talking how inflated the ticket prices are and how the U is basically daring people to come to football games. They will be talking about how an 8-0, ranked Gopher team still can't draw a full house even if they are playing a top 10 conference opponent. So frustrating.

attendance comes up over and over and is a major topic of conversation on Gopherhole. This post should be pinned to every one of them. Excellent points and well said. It is horrible the way the scholarship seating gutted the ticket base and it is interesting to see that it continues to haunt attendance going forward. To make a long story short, the U apparently likes empty seats because the obvious fix to this remains something they won't do.

The sad part is if the Gophers are fortunate enough to be 8-0 for the Penn State game and even with a bye week leading up to it there will still likely be open seats all over the place. People won't be talking how inflated the ticket prices are and how the U is basically daring people to come to football games. They will be talking about how an 8-0, ranked Gopher team still can't draw a full house even if they are playing a top 10 conference opponent. So frustrating.

revenue matters. My season ticket basically doubled due to donation cost. If that section is more than half full, revenue is up.

revenue matters. My season ticket basically doubled due to donation cost. If that section is more than half full, revenue is up.

Ticket revenue yes, however, more people means more concession and swag revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maryland
Outdoor Club$190.00

Penn State
Outdoor Club$335.00

Wisconsin
Outdoor Club$335.00

I've been thinking about it and I'm curious if the ticket office can even do any kind of flash sale or discounts since these premium games have already been selling at this price for awhile now. I guess you either deal with a number of pissed off early ticket buyers and the negative reaction and hope it blows over with more wins OR you figure out a way to compensate the people who bought early with a $30-40 credit towards a future football ticket purchase to soften the blow.

The latter actually seems quite doable and helps bring back repeat business. Maybe I should email the ticket office or athletic department?

Revenue does matter but why are our revenue requirements so much higher than Iowa, Nebraska or Illinois, for example. Doesn't make sense. And, as Spoofin said, more buts in seat mean higher concession, swag and parking revenue. Plus the overall buzz. They have a chance, if the team comes through the last 5 games, to get season tickets back to the 40k level if they do this right. I know the chance of that is negligible, unfortunately, as ticket office rarely gets it. Just my opinion.

You get an A in micro economics.

I can remember sitting in a micro-economics lecture in late October of 1985. Lou's second year, Gophs were 5-1 (3-0 in Big) and ranked with top ten Ohio State coming to the Dome for Homecoming. Only loss had been to Oklahoma by 6. I was looking at the standings in the Strib, trying to guess various outcomes going forward, not paying attention to curves!

The Ohio State game was fabulous. Electric and loud atmosphere in a dome packed to the bubble. Foggie was driving us for a winning score but got injured and the drive stalled.

Revenue does matter but why are our revenue requirements so much higher than Iowa, Nebraska or Illinois, for example. Doesn't make sense. And, as Spoofin said, more buts in seat mean higher concession, swag and parking revenue. Plus the overall buzz. They have a chance, if the team comes through the last 5 games, to get season tickets back to the 40k level if they do this right. I know the chance of that is negligible, unfortunately, as ticket office rarely gets it. Just my opinion.

Athletics FY 20 Revenue projection is $123 M with 46% conference/NCAA, 17% Tickets, 13% Fundraising, 10% Sponsors, 3% Licensing/Concessions/Parking... 5% O&E/6% Other.

B10 Budgets FY 19
OSU $221 M
Michigan $185 M
UW $144 M
Nebraska $138 M
PSU $135 M
MSU $ 133 M
Iowa $122 M
Minnesota $122 M
Illinois $111 M
Northwestern $106 M
Indiana $105 M
Purdue $96 M
Maryland $94 M
Rutgers $93 M

I have 6 friends coming into town for PSU weekend, I looked into buying some seats near my own, and they were $130 each. They'll watch from the bar. $60-$70 would probably sell.

The ticket office knows there is a problem with single-game prices. Football season ticket prices will be adjusted after this season like they did for Hockey and Basketball so they will have better flexibility for single game pricing. I can't remember how all of that played out, but I think some prices went down and no prices went up?

Iowa and Wisconsin have bigger stadiums so they can afford to charge less.

Do some of you really think that $120 for a mid-november game between two undefeated, top 15 teams is really that bad? We have been waiting for a game like this for a long time, show up and be loud.

I have 6 friends coming into town for PSU weekend, I looked into buying some seats near my own, and they were $130 each. They'll watch from the bar. $60-$70 would probably sell.

buy the cheap upper deck corners for 60-80 and they can move wherever they want...the plaza is fun to watch game...the upper deck concourse is nice...ushers probably won't care if they fill in some of the empty nice seats

The ticket office knows there is a problem with single-game prices. Football season ticket prices will be adjusted after this season like they did for Hockey and Basketball so they will have better flexibility for single game pricing. I can't remember how all of that played out, but I think some prices went down and no prices went up?

Do some of you really think that $120 for a mid-november game between two undefeated, top 15 teams is really that bad? We have been waiting for a game like this for a long time, show up and be loud.

Maybe not for a big time game but the casual fan is not going to pay $120 per ticket for a whole season of games (understand there is a sliding scale based on quality of opponent). Let's get the stadium filled up then the after market prices will reflect actual demand. Right now, our supply exceeds demand and I believe part of it is pricing. Done with my rant. Go Gophers!!!

For the recording, parking revenue goes to parking services, not to the athletics department

But your overall point is good and I agree with

Just being that guy for no good reason.

Correct.

Two weeks before the Nebraska game there were several sections that were "singles only" or even full. However at the start of game week, all those sections went back to being "medium" full. Against GSU, there were tons of sections that were full or singles only. Than on day of game I checked again and most of the singles only or full sections were no longer that way and there were tons of available seats.

So I wouldn't put too much stock into these numbers.

Some of you may have listened to this but for those who haven’t here is a link for a Gopher Gridiron Podcast concerning ticket sales and attendance from the bye week. The group goes pretty in-depth about what the Athletic Dept is doing and how it has worked so far to get people in the seats.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gopher-gridiron-radio/id1019213476?i=1000450980896

Seems like a ton of the single game ticket sales occur a day or two before the game as people firm up their weekend plans and get a better idea of what the forecast will be.

when your ticket prices decreases the quality of the atmosphere because it keeps fans away (particularly those with younger kids or families), then yes its a problem. That said, I'll be in the stands after getting someone's seasons tickets (they picked deer hunting over the game) for cost.

I realize that price can be an issue for some people, but......If we are 8-0 the PSU game become our Super Bowl.

How much are Vikings, Wolves and Wild tickets?

Spending $130 on a ticket will be, as they say, priceless if we win that game.

If PSU game is not sold out there is literally no chance of ever selling out TCF stadium (unless ticket prices are drastically reduced)

I am making a plea to those of you that are on the fence about attending the PSU game. Now is the time to step up and support Gopher Football.

Seems so strange. Things have apparently switched from pricing a product at a level that increases demand until quantities are gone, at which point the price can be raised, to instead raise the prices first and if the product doesn't sell, be satisfied with the increase in revenue.

Play this out to its final destination: Charge $800 dollars for each seat and although many more seats will go unsold it still might be more revenue so that is a "win"? Instead of adding footings to expand the stadium, they should have built it for 30,000 high paying fans instead of its current 50,805 size that leaves thousands of seats unused.

After all is said and done, I feel like the current prices are what they would be after several years of sustained success with packed house after packed house and a vibrant lucrative secondary ticket market.

It just seems so wrong to be having a historic season, interest is growing, but we've got families out there telling themselves it is finally time to check out the Gophers - to be met with triple digit per-ticket prices.

Top Bottom