Snide remark about Gophers in Omaha World-Herald Rutgers game summary

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
In a small summary of the game (the MN summaries are always small), the unidentified writer, after citing the usual facts and stats, added: "Morgan, who went 15 for 28 for 245 yards, threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Johnson that could have been viewed as rubbing it in against a beaten foe." In decades of reading this newspaper's sports game summaries, I've never seen such a remark in what should have been a straight news story (he also, perhaps doesn't know of Dr. Tom's 84-13 beatdown of Minnesota in 1983; in fact, Tom regularly ran up the score in many games). This remark may derive from a conviction here that MN has no right to be successful in football or to garner honors because it has been out of the limelight most of the time since the 1960s, while Nebraska does deserve success because it has been in the limelight much of the time since the '60s. This is a widely held outlook, especially from people who don't know Minnesota's football success from the 1890s to the 1960s, a period when Doc Williams and Bernie Bierman regularly beat Nebraska's good teams, which is why MN still has an edge in the series. Interestingly, the Gophers have now won 4 of the last 7 games.

I thought being from Omaha itself is a snide remark...

I'm beginning to lose respect for the Children of the Corn almost daily. Or maybe just their media because I don't know any actual fans. I hear the people are great, so maybe it is only the media.

I literally couldn't care less about something like this...

All I know is all of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will be tuned into our game against PSU

There is a little bit of fear going on. None of them can admit it, but a great amount of fear.

I'm beginning to lose respect for the Children of the Corn almost daily. Or maybe just their media because I don't know any actual fans. I hear the people are great, so maybe it is only the media.

It’s actually a snippet from the AP story. It’s in the recap on ESPN.com as well. Just picking up what was written by the stringer. There was more to the article but it was all the news that fits to print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems pretty clear than when it comes to the CFP rankings, at least one of the factors is how big your blowout wins are. In light of that, it is tough for me to fault any team (especially one with 0 or 1 losses) for running up the score.

It’s actually a snippet from the AP story. It’s in the recap on ESPN.com as well. Just picking up what was written by the stringer. There was more to the article but it was all the news that fits to print.

Yeah, that was straight from the AP. You can blame the paper for choosing that piece of the story to include, but they didn't originate that content.

Yeah, that was straight from the AP. You can blame the paper for choosing that piece of the story to include, but they didn't originate that content.

Point taken, apologies. Just seems to be a lot of negative originating from Nebraska lately. Rant over.

Who cares Nebraska football is irrelevant

Point taken, apologies. Just seems to be a lot of negative originating from Nebraska lately. Rant over.

True but we kicked their ass, so they can whine all they want. We still kicked their asses.

Ummm...... Shouldn't Huskers "Fans" be complaining about what they do on the field before they complain what others are doing? The Gophers are winning.... I get it.... It's been awhile since Nebraska has won...

I’m just glad we’re in a position where we could do something that could be considered running it up.

True Dat. We've been on the other side so many times its sad.

When I saw it real time I was surprised. Then I read a post from someone else who called it bush league. Then other people said wasn't running up the score. The defenders tripped over themselves and made it look worse than it was. It really was only a standard play. Nothing tricky or devious about it.

Thanks for that, so they're off the hook except for repeating that sentence from the AP original. The rest of it hold true, though: they resent the rise of uppity Minnesota.

This remark may derive from a conviction here that MN has no right to be successful in football or to garner honors because it has been out of the limelight most of the time since the 1960s

Regardless of whether this particular language was lifted or not, there's a lot of truth to your comment and this attitude isn't limited to Nebraska fans. Read various fan forums of teams who have been more successful than us in recent decades and you'll hear the same attitudes.

We even have had similar reactions on this page when we've lost to a less regarded foe. I remember when the 2014 Citrus Bowl team lost to Illinois. Some people were apoplectic in their rage. I was actually OK with it because I figured they owed us one but I remember one poster angrily asserting that he would rather lose 10 games to Michigan than one game to Illinois. That seemed absolutely absurd to me.

This psychology isn't limited to sports. Many people hate the idea of someone below them on the totem pole getting ahead far more than they hate the idea of of being perennially below an acknowledged superior.

All I know is all of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will be tuned into our game against PSU

There is a little bit of fear going on. None of them can admit it, but a great amount of fear.

I'm not so sure. I read an Iowa blog occasionally and when the subject of our team comes up, I'd say at least 2/3rds of posters are pretty confident they will win our future game. Perhaps the attitude has a bit to do with age. Those of us who are old enough to remember when Northwestern was terrible (like Rutgers terrible) and Wisconsin wasn't very good understand that things can change.

In a small summary of the game (the MN summaries are always small), the unidentified writer, after citing the usual facts and stats, added: "Morgan, who went 15 for 28 for 245 yards, threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Johnson that could have been viewed as rubbing it in against a beaten foe." In decades of reading this newspaper's sports game summaries, I've never seen such a remark in what should have been a straight news story (he also, perhaps doesn't know of Dr. Tom's 84-13 beatdown of Minnesota in 1983; in fact, Tom regularly ran up the score in many games). This remark may derive from a conviction here that MN has no right to be successful in football or to garner honors because it has been out of the limelight most of the time since the 1960s, while Nebraska does deserve success because it has been in the limelight much of the time since the '60s. This is a widely held outlook, especially from people who don't know Minnesota's football success from the 1890s to the 1960s, a period when Doc Williams and Bernie Bierman regularly beat Nebraska's good teams, which is why MN still has an edge in the series. Interestingly, the Gophers have now won 4 of the last 7 games.

A snide remark from Nebraska about the Gophers? In other words, keeping in line with what you consistently post here? I think you're just mad because someone is copying your schtick.

LOL. I'm quite sure the Gophers would have been content to run the ball every play during the drive but when the defense packs the box with 9 guys they really leave you no choice but to teach them a lesson.

LOL. I'm quite sure the Gophers would have been content to run the ball every play during the drive but when the defense packs the box with 9 guys they really leave you no choice but to teach them a lesson.

Another way to look at it is we could have chewed up clock on the ground, but by putting the ball in the air we gave them a chance to pick one off and put some more points on the board. That they failed to capitalize is their problem.

Another way to look at it is we could have chewed up clock on the ground, but by putting the ball in the air we gave them a chance to pick one off and put some more points on the board. That they failed to capitalize is their problem.
Speaking of failure, did Nerdbraska lose their bye week? I forgot they even existed.

I agree, if you put 9 in the box, you can't really complain if your opponent throws the ball.

MN certainly has the attention of teams in the West. Seems to me it's a little too early to use the f-word.

I'm of the opinion that we threw that long pass so we could safely pull the starters.

I'm of the opinion that we threw that long pass so we could safely pull the starters.

There is a lot of truth to that. Coaches want the backups to play, but they really hate having to put the starters back in after they think they’re done for the day. So they wait until they feel the win is assured before making the substitions.

Agree. Though Fleck seemed a little disappointed they did it in the post game interview (said something about maybe not being the right place to run the play).

I think Nebby fans are in shock that Scott Frost hasn't delivered them a National Championship yet. They expected he'd waltz in there and win instantly. Like what Michigan expected of Harbaugh but with worse results. He caused a lot of the angst by saying it wasn't a rebuild, etc. Now they've had a year and a half of disappointing results, and I think fans are getting impatient. It'll be interesting to see what they think next year if there isn't dramatic improvement.

Always remember that, but for professional sports, the Twin Cities would be a cold Omaha.

Nebraska media needs to STFU until next October. They did get this from the AP. I read the exact line in question on other outlets.

Top Bottom