Gophers open as 17 point favorites over Maryland.

Wow. That's high. Wouldn't touch this line at all. Especially with KM21's status in limbo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Every week, it’s been “too high.”

I think you guys are overrating Maryland based on what they did to Robb Smith’s defense. They are not a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you guys are overrating Maryland based on what they did to Robb Smith’s defense. They are not a good team.

Agree.

Except for SDSU. Most thought it wasn't high enough. And Purdue.

I think this line is spot on. I would even lean Gophers here, but I wouldn't touch this bet.

The really crazy thing that happened with implied lines this week:
They are now favored @Iowa.
Minnesota has worked their way up to 3-point dogs against PSU and UW.

If Fleck can clean up this week's offensive performance, the Gophers might walk into PSU with a damn good chance to win (~40%).

Last edited:

Maryland has been really tough against the Gophers the last two times Gophers played them. Maryland has a lot of speed and I expect a tough physical game. Go Gophers beat the Terps.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Maryland has been really tough against the Gophers the last two times Gophers played them. Maryland has a lot of speed and I expect a tough physical game. Go Gophers beat the Terps.

Illinois also has a lot of speed.

I don't like touching big lines like this because there are too many variables (when do they go with the backups? do they score a late meaningless TD against prevent defense protecting a 21 lead), but we should thump them. Maryland is bad. They were bad the last two years too, but we are better this year.

I don't like touching big lines like this because there are too many variables (when do they go with the backups? do they score a late meaningless TD against prevent defense protecting a 21 lead), but we should thump them. Maryland is bad. They were bad the last two years too, but we are better this year.
Agree about the line, and to back up your other point, I think this year's Gophers' coaches will scheme a lot better than Maryland's coaches. I feel Minnesota has better talent and knows how to mold that talent together better than Maryland. I don't think PJ will allow any let down (it's a cultural thing now). As you said, we should thump them.

I'm sorry but both the last two meetings were absolutely winnable. Last year was the Robb Smith experiment on defense.

I keep hearing all this talk about Maryland's offense and how we might have trouble with it.....anyone bothering to consider that they will probably have a much much tougher time stopping ours?

I keep hearing all this talk about Maryland's offense and how we might have trouble with it.....anyone bothering to consider that they will probably have a much much tougher time stopping ours?

Agree. MD is 110th in TOP; Gophs are 13th.

Sounds way too high...

Guess I'm not used to being favorited in conference games.

I feel like we’re due for a close game.

42-30 Gophers.

If Purdue and Indiana can hold Maryland to 28 points or less I'm confident the gophers can as well. Meanwhile our offense has score 28 or more in 13 of our last 14 games.

I’d lay my money on the Terps with that line, particularly with Kamal being out. I think this is going to be a close one.

No Martin. Gophers have not faced a 1st string Big10 QB for more than a quarter. Everyone talking about PSU game. Lay the points with Terps.

No Martin. Gophers have not faced a 1st string Big10 QB for more than a quarter. Everyone talking about PSU game. Lay the points with Terps.

To be fair we might not be facing Maryland's starting QB either as Jackson has been out the last two games.

Crazy we might go our first 5 Big Ten games without playing a starting QB.

Why do people use outcomes from prior years as a way to predict current season outcomes? Illinois kicked our asses last year, we kicked theirs this year. You can’t judge these games off of last year or the last two years. New players, players gone, new coaches, different momentum, etc.

I wonder what the Gophers win pct is as a ranked team in the last 20 years. My gut tells me it's below .500. That might go a long way toward explaining why people are wary.

I think the Gophers will win, but every game still makes me nervous.

Last edited:

I wonder what the Gophers win pct is as a ranked team in the last 20 years. My gut tells me it's below .500. That might go a long way toward explaining why people are wary.

I think the Gophers will win, but every game still makes me nervous.

I believe I saw a stat that said that Minnesota is 2-7 as a ranked team since 2004.

Why do people use outcomes from prior years as a way to predict current season outcomes? Illinois kicked our asses last year, we kicked theirs this year. You can’t judge these games off of last year or the last two years. New players, players gone, new coaches, different momentum, etc.

Exactly. Especially the outcomes prior to Rossi. I've yet to see an offense roll against our defense under Rossi.

Remains to be seen if you are correct, but one thing is for sure. Maryland will have the best athletes we’ve seen so far this season, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense better be ready to play, especially the DB’s.

I’d lay my money on the Terps with that line, particularly with Kamal being out. I think this is going to be a close one.

Good news with 17 points is they can cover and we can still win comfortably.

Sounds way too high...

Guess I'm not used to being favorited in conference games.

Remains to be seen if you are correct, but one thing is for sure. Maryland will have the best athletes we’ve seen so far this season, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense better be ready to play, especially the DB’s.

If Purdue and Indiana both found a way to beat them, I expect a top 20 team should be able to figure it out too. We might lose, but if we do, it's because we choked like Wisconsin did this week. I predict we roll.

Top Bottom