Bowl Projection Thread Through Week 8

BleedGopher

Reaction score
247 is first out of the gate:

Outback Bowl

Where: Tampa, Fla.

Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Auburn

Quick bite: Tampa gets a great matchup if the Outback Bowl is able to secure a pair of Top 20 teams (projected) at season's end. Both the Gophers and Tigers have some challenging games ahead against nationally-ranked competition, but matching 9-3 records likely puts both in prime position to land in the Outback.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ide-LSU-Tigers-Playoff-137255759/#137255759_4

Go Gophers!!

ESPN also says Outback:

Outback Bowl
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Bonagura: Auburn vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Auburn vs. Minnesota

The 1st is a Wednesday. Wife wants to go to the bowl game, regardless of location.

Outback is not my #1 but better than motor city

I’m not sure I see 9-3 getting us the Outback. I’d put us in San Diego if we finish 9-3.

Ohio State - CFP
Penn State - Rose Bowl
Michigan or Wisconsin - Citrus or Outback
Minnesota or Iowa - Holiday or Music City

10-11 (Lose Penn State) wins for us. Outback/Citrus coin toss.
11 (Beat Penn State) - 12 wins. Rose.
13 wins. CFP.

Last edited:

The 1st is a Wednesday. Wife wants to go to the bowl game, regardless of location.

Outback is not my #1 but better than motor city

We could do worse than some beaches around St. Pete for New Year's for sure

I’m not sure I see 9-3 getting us the Outback. I’d put us in San Diego if we finish 9-3.

Ohio State - CFP
Penn State - Rose Bowl

13 wins. CFP.

Based on selection rules, I don't think Gophs would be picked for Holiday so soon again. I think that is why the Outback is coming up more often...Gophs have not been to it.

Correct.

If we can't pull off a Rose Bowl run (which needs the cards to fall right, in addition to us probably winning the West and then losing to Ohio St in Indy), then the Outback I think is the ceiling bowl for the season.

Sporting News also has Outback vs. Auburn.

I'm gonna start looking into tickets to Tampa in case the whole CFP thing doesn't work out. Might watch an Auburn game or two :)

Correct.

If we can't pull off a Rose Bowl run (which needs the cards to fall right, in addition to us probably winning the West and then losing to Ohio St in Indy), then the Outback I think is the ceiling bowl for the season.

For the Rose bowl scenario, I think beating Penn State would be needed, as they could go 11-1 with their only loss being OSU.

I live in Tampa so if we’re not smelling the roses, would love to see them in the Outback Bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

247 is first out of the gate:

Outback Bowl

Where: Tampa, Fla.

Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Auburn

Quick bite: Tampa gets a great matchup if the Outback Bowl is able to secure a pair of Top 20 teams (projected) at season's end. Both the Gophers and Tigers have some challenging games ahead against nationally-ranked competition, but matching 9-3 records likely puts both in prime position to land in the Outback.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ide-LSU-Tigers-Playoff-137255759/#137255759_4

Go Gophers!!

24/7 also has Ohio State in both of the semi-final games. That’s going to be tough, but if they can pull off victories in both games the final will be a snoozer.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the Rose bowl scenario, I think beating Penn State would be needed, as they could go 11-1 with their only loss being OSU.

It would be up to the Rose Bowl, to decide who they wanted. Actually aren’t you the one who pointed that out to me??

I would think if we beat Maryland we will play a New Years Day game some where? Seems highly unlikely we lose all four and not unimaginable that we could prevail in all four. Gotta beat Maryland and the matchups force us to compete.

Ohio State - CFP
Penn State - Rose Bowl

13 wins. CFP.

I have to admit I'm kind of hoping for a loss in the Big Ten Championship game and trip to the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl is still my dream bowl for the Gophers.

I have to admit I'm kind of hoping for a loss in the Big Ten Championship game and trip to the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl is still my dream bowl for the Gophers.

I understand what you're saying. Obviously I would absolutely love being in the CFP but the Rose Bowl would be unbelievable. Is the Rose Bowl part of the playoffs this year?

No. Rose Bowl isn't part of this year's playoff.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom