ESPN: How Wisconsin's loss impacts the Big Ten's hopes for the CFP

Taji34

Reaction score
There is a little about us in this article:

The playoff perception of the Big Ten is Buckeyes or bust, and while Ohio State has clearly established itself as top-four material, Penn State and Minnesota are also still undefeated, allowing for several possible scenarios:

• Ohio State can wind up playing Minnesota in the Big Ten title game. Wisconsin has bigger problems than the gash that was seared into its playoff hopes. The Badgers are now looking up at undefeated Minnesota in the Big Ten's West Division.

The Golden Gophers will have home-field advantage against Wisconsin in the regular-season finale. A win against Minnesota probably wouldn't do too much to impress the selection committee, but it could become a factor if the Buckeyes lose a game and enter a debate. Oregon, for example, could punctuate its résumé with a Pac-12 title against a better, higher-ranked Utah team.

https://es.pn/2JliF79

This gives a good picture of the National perspective on us. Everyone is definitely waiting for us to lose to Penn State

Yeah, pretty disrespectful. Is this the same writer who started the DJ Durkins smear job?

This gives a good picture of the National perspective on us. Everyone is definitely waiting for us to lose to Penn State

Gophs have not yet had a win of consequence this year. Opportunity knocks Nov. 9. 7-0 is exciting and cool for us faithful, 9-0 will turn heads.

Yeah, pretty disrespectful. Is this the same writer who started the DJ Durkins smear job?

It kind of is what it is. I think it's clear everyone is all over Penn St and - if we are honest - we have not beaten a Michigan-level team yet. Lets just keep taking care of business. If we beat PSU, we will become a major part of the CFP convo

It’s ok to be the underdog. Shock the world.

Yeah, Dinich and several others are at the forefront of the hearsay pitchfork brigade. I feel a little used clicking on the link. At least we’re not paying for similar tripe at The ahletic.

It was always going to be an undefeated team, meaning most likely Ohio St.

Let’s say we lose to PSU but beat WI, have to imagine an 11-1 gopher team with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin is still going to have some steam behind it for OSU (and would still make a legit case for the playoff if we won that game). Would be better than anyone other then the perception on the runner up in the SEC championship (though if you look at the east right now, it ain’t great)

Let’s say we lose to PSU but beat WI, have to imagine an 11-1 gopher team with wins over Iowa and Wisconsin is still going to have some steam behind it for OSU (and would still make a legit case for the playoff if we won that game). Would be better than anyone other then the perception on the runner up in the SEC championship (though if you look at the east right now, it ain’t great)

The only way the CFP happens for the Gophers is being undefeated. Period.

We should not be aiming for the CFP.

That is for Ohio St this year, and they are just on another level than anyone else in the Big Ten.

But this can still be an incredible year for the Gophers!

The perception is that any team we beat is crap.

Part of the reason Purdue was a big dog vs Iowa.
Illinois of course isn't great, but the line against WI appeared to be too much.

Teams we haven't played = Perceived as good.
Teams we have beat = Perceived as really crappy.

The only way the CFP happens for the Gophers is being undefeated. Period.

Disagree.
A one loss big ten champion gopher team would definitely have a chance.

Gophs have not yet had a win of consequence this year. Opportunity knocks Nov. 9. 7-0 is exciting and cool for us faithful, 9-0 will turn heads.

Who has Boise State beat this year? FSU is comparable to Nebraska. Otherwise the other teams are worse than our schedule. And now they lost to a sub 500 team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we won out going into the BT Championship game, the strength of schedule piece, when compared to other teams and other conferences is going to come back to bite us. They will need a Wisconsin-level win and beat down of a quality team to get the notice they are looking for. "Yes" there are bowl tie-ins, but we all know how we have been the victims before of the tie-ins.

That is for Ohio St this year, and they are just on another level than anyone else in the Big Ten.

Geezus.

If we won out going into the BT Championship game, the strength of schedule piece, when compared to other teams and other conferences is going to come back to bite us. They will need a Wisconsin-level win and beat down of a quality team to get the notice they are looking for. "Yes" there are bowl tie-ins, but we all know how we have been the victims before of the tie-ins.
The SOS should rise considerably the next 5 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Who has Boise State beat this year? FSU is comparable to Nebraska. Otherwise the other teams are worse than our schedule. And now they lost to a sub 500 team.

Based on SOS so far, better teams than the Gophs.

The Gophers haven't been nationally relevant in over a decade. They have solidly moved the needle into the discussion for the Rose Bowl by winning every game they're supposed to win.
If they want to be in the playoff discussion then they need to win games that they aren't supposed to win.

The impact of Wisconsin's loss? I want them to lose every game.

Who ever believes that is the destiny of Ohio State to rule the roost just because they have been there before is in need of some social re-engineering. Our destiny is to destroy Ohio State. It was written at the beginning of time, before the beginning of thought, before the beginning of the beginning.

The CFP scenario is simple for us.

Go undefeated and win the B1G —> playoffs. Lose one game to any team on our schedule or the B1G championship —> no playoffs.

A one-loss Gopher team will never get in over a one-loss SEC team, Clemson, ND, etc. Not unless we reach that level one day.

Illinois of course isn't great, but the line against WI appeared to be too much.

Our four conference wins have come against teams that are a combined 4-13 in B1G play. I don't think that perception is unfair. When we are unbeaten after PSU, then we will be in business.

Yeah I never understood how Boise was ranked so high. They didn't even win their conference last year and didn't beat anyone of note this year.

The CFP scenario is simple for us.

Go undefeated and win the B1G —> playoffs. Lose one game to any team on our schedule or the B1G championship —> no playoffs.

A one-loss Gopher team will never get in over a one-loss SEC team, Clemson, ND, etc. Not unless we reach that level one day.

That's not true. If we go undefeated and lose in the B1G championship to an undefeated OSU we should get in over a 1 loss Clemson.

That's not true. If we go undefeated and lose in the B1G championship to an undefeated OSU we should get in over a 1 loss Clemson.

Other way around.
If gophers lost to penn state or Iowa or Wisconsin, but were 11-1 and then beat Ohio State...

A 12-1 big ten champ that just beat Ohio state would go before a second SEC team. Before a 1 loss pac 12 champ. And before any big 12 team not named Oklahoma.

Other way around.
If gophers lost to penn state or Iowa or Wisconsin, but were 11-1 and then beat Ohio State...

A 12-1 big ten champ that just beat Ohio state would go before a second SEC team. Before a 1 loss pac 12 champ. And before any big 12 team not named Oklahoma.

That would work too. But I think Clemson will be screwed with 1 loss given how weak their schedule is.

That’s not 100% accurate. We struggled with a mediocre non-con schedule and played 4 teams that for various reasons were not at their best (we haven’t faced a starter for a full game yet - two of which were knocked out of our game, one who had some time to prep, one who was the third option in a lost season. There isn’t a lot of reason to believe right now that we’re anything other than a decent team and we haven’t faced the best any team can throw at us in conference.

Outside of Illinois’ defeat of Wisconsin (which is huge for us) the teams we’ve beaten haven’t beaten anyone. That factors into the national conversation as well. The Illinois thing is new, and considered a fluke. Let’s face it, they’ve looked poor in the big ten prior to this weekend. You can’t really blame anyone thinking they aren’t very good.

Something else hurting us. We are the only Big Ten team that hasn’t played a ranked opponent, yet.

We have three ranked opponents in our last 5 games and face a living breathing defense in Northwestern. The way our schedule is set up, and the way the seasons played out, in order to get love we’ll have to win those games to get love on the national scene.

We keep winning, we’ll get love. We lose to ranked team, we’ll get I told you so.

The good news is it’s in the boys hands. We control our own destiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not 100% accurate. We struggled with a mediocre non-con schedule and played 4 teams that for various reasons were not at their best (we haven’t faced a starter for a full game yet - two of which were knocked out of our game, one who had some time to prep, one who was the third option in a lost season. There isn’t a lot of reason to believe right now that we’re anything other than a decent team and we haven’t faced the best any team can throw at us in conference.

Outside of Illinois’ defeat of Wisconsin (which is huge for us) the teams we’ve beaten haven’t beaten anyone. That factors into the national conversation as well. The Illinois thing is new, and considered a fluke. Let’s face it, they’ve looked poor in the big ten prior to this weekend. You can’t really blame anyone thinking they aren’t very good.

Something else hurting us. We are the only Big Ten team that hasn’t played a ranked opponent, yet.

We have three ranked opponents in our last 5 games and face a living breathing defense in Northwestern. The way our schedule is set up, and the way the seasons played out, in order to get love we’ll have to win those games to get love on the national scene.

We keep winning, we’ll get love. We lose to ranked team, we’ll get I told you so.

The good news is it’s in the boys hands. We control our own destiny.

I said as much in post #4.

Yeah I never understood how Boise was ranked so high. They didn't even win their conference last year and didn't beat anyone of note this year.

Sounds like Fresno State last year and UCF the past two years. Won a lot of games, didn’t exactly beat anyone.

Top Bottom