Brewster 2.0?

Tully55

Reaction score
I guess we can finally put that one to rest. I understand that both PJ and TB are salesmen with a gift of gab (snake oil salesman to some)that irritates many people. PJ however is putting out results(at least so far) wheras TB never could. IMHO the comparison no longer is valid.

Brewster had a 7-1 team that lost the rest of their games. We have 3 upcoming ranked opponents, a MD team that has recently had our number, and a game at NU where we haven't scored a single point since 2013. This is exactly the point where TB choked. It's not "put to rest" yet, but it likely will be soon.

The comparison never was valid as PJ had a successful history as a head coach before coming here.

I never knew how to feel about Brewster. Always wanted him to succeed, but was he put in charge before he was ready and in over his head, or was he just never meant to be a head coach? Either way, he seems to have found his niche with Mack Brown (helped land the #2 recruit for next year).
PJ has a proven track record at WMU where TB had no history as a head coach. And as we are seeing it is a lot more than just calling plays to be a head coach. Coordinators do that most of the time. He is a CEO of a corporation basically. It seems PJ has 100% support from the U where I doubt Tim had much (Maybe he did - I was never that close to the situation).
PJ's history is showing signs here as well that his system is working, but TB I think just wasn't ready.

TB maybe was in over his head as a new HC! There is no denying as an Assistant Coach the guy can recruit!

The comparison never was valid as PJ had a successful history as a head coach before coming here.

Yeah their resumes were quite different.

Even had the results been the same it would have been an entirely different story as to why.

Brewster had a 7-1 team that lost the rest of their games. We have 3 upcoming ranked opponents, a MD team that has recently had our number, and a game at NU where we haven't scored a single point since 2013. This is exactly the point where TB choked. It's not "put to rest" yet, but it likely will be soon.

I’m very pro-PJF but I thought of this just from reading the thread title. We’re coming upon the failure point where even Tim Brewster got things to. So did John Gutekunst. So did Glen Mason. So did Jerry Kill. So did Tracy Claeys.

7-0 has been pretty swell, but lots of us saw this coming. Vegas saw this coming. Winning the ones we’re supposed to isn’t easy...ask the three 17+ point P5 favorites who lost yesterday. In spite of new heights in aggregate record we still haven’t seen the breakthrough yet.

Maryland is a decent team, but just lost at home to Indiana (which is another decent team), and they have to come here. That game will be somewhere between Illinois and Nebraska level of difficulty. It is solidly in the "expected win" column, this year.

NW is on the road, and they might be figuring some things out ... but also would say that this year that is an expected win. Granted, the Penn St and Iowa games could be a doozy on us, we'll have to see.

Looks like the Minnesota chapter of the Bitter End Club may be officially closed.

Probably the last meeting was the loss from the Michigan Halloween game back in 2015. Still that was nothing compared to the chapter's early years under TB.

Certainly there will be hard moments over the next couple of decades under Coach Fleck, but really can't expect it to reach TB levels of disdain.

Good riddance. Enjoy the moment. Beat Maryland!

Agreed. The comparison of Fleck and Brewster is so superficial that it's bothered me from day 1. Fleck has a strong background and made detailed plans about being a head coach from early in his career. In contrast, it seemed like Brewster somehow fell into the job based on recruiting well at TX. That's on Maturi.

Yeah, both are outgoing salesman types. I would argue, however, that Brewster seems more like an affable fellow who almost anyone would like personally, while PJ is so driven and detailed he can put some people off. I'll take the latter in a head coach.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Why the #$%@ is anyone even talking about Brewster???
Enjoy this ride!!
PJ has already proven himself not in wins and losses but in the character and spirit of "Team" these players demonstrate.
Go Gophers!!!

Stability. Fleck seems to have it. Brewster could sell it, but he could not deliver it. Seemed like good assistant coaches never committed to Brewster. The door to the coaches ' office never seemed to close.

Fleck strikes me as more deliberate in building a program through the details.

I’m very pro-PJF but I thought of this just from reading the thread title. We’re coming upon the failure point where even Tim Brewster got things to. So did John Gutekunst. So did Glen Mason. So did Jerry Kill. So did Tracy Claeys.

7-0 has been pretty swell, but lots of us saw this coming. Vegas saw this coming. Winning the ones we’re supposed to isn’t easy...ask the three 17+ point P5 favorites who lost yesterday. In spite of new heights in aggregate record we still haven’t seen the breakthrough yet.

Good point. Mason got us to a certain level that has more or less been maintained despite a few down years here and there. The sad thing is many people still wish Mason had never been fired. If Fleck can’t elevate the program further in the next few years I will be all for moving on from him as well.

Agreed. The comparison of Fleck and Brewster is so superficial that it's bothered me from day 1. Fleck has a strong background and made detailed plans about being a head coach from early in his career. In contrast, it seemed like Brewster somehow fell into the job based on recruiting well at TX. That's on Maturi.

Yeah, both are outgoing salesman types. I would argue, however, that Brewster seems more like an affable fellow who almost anyone would like personally, while PJ is so driven and detailed he can put some people off. I'll take the latter in a head coach.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Brewster/Fleck similarities start and end with them being outgoing and high energy.

The comparison between the two was dumb right from the beginning. Their backgrounds were totally different so trying to lump them together based on surface traits was just lazy and never sat well with me as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Vegas saw this coming why was I able to book the gophers at over 7.5 wins for the year?

I don't think this will happen, but if we lost our last four, this would feel a lot like 2007 (climbed into a ranked position beating the soft part of our schedule before collapsing when we got to the meat of it). Before anyone jumps down my throat, I want to remind you that I opened with "I don't think this will happen."

Edit: I said 2007, should have been 2008.

Last edited:

Lou Holtz is a better comparison for PJ, IMO. They’re both motivational, driven types, armed with slogans and hype, and they both actually had a head coaching resume before they came here. PJ has a much more challenging task ahead of him than Holtz had, as far as getting the public to buy in, because we’ve been burned a lot over the last 35 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom