Lindsey Whalen -10

Wildcards -
Hayden Fox - Craig T. Nelson 2a.
Lizzo
George Clooney as Ernie Nevers
Adam Young
Alan Page
Joe Mauer

If anyone major was missed, let me know.

Marc Trestman
AJ’s mom
Jim Carter
Tracy Claeys

Russ Archambault
Justin Conzemius

Likely choice:
Meatsauce

A Norwegian Bachelor Farmer.

That's funny.

If the farmer is not available I'd love to see Brock sit next to Lee Corso and Lee tell him "Not so fast my friend". Brock's WWE acting response could be funny as hell.

Alan Page

That's some good gameday picker resume right there.

Alan Page is a great person but I would take Carl Eller over him since Carl is a U alum and also a Hall of Famer. My guess is Lindsey Whalen though.

A triumphant Bob Dylan returns to Dinkytown.

The sun would explode before this happens.

Alan Page is a great person but I would take Carl Eller over him since Carl is a U alum and also a Hall of Famer. My guess is Lindsey Whalen though.

Don't think it has to be an Alum. Maybe both Eller and Page?

Alan Page is incredibly boring to listen to.

Brock Lesnar all the way. That's genius. Kids love him because of the WWE stuff. Gophers fans love him because of his NCAA wrestling accolades (especially big wins against Iowa). He would also be incredibly entertaining.

Tom Lehman
any Alum from Miracle on Ice team

Wildcard:
Uncle John Legend

Last edited:

Would never happen - but how about Lou Holtz!

(Bobby Bell would be wonderful. Saw him speak several years ago - extremely well spoken and very proud to be a gopher alum)

Bob Dylan - this would be interesting for sure. Probably imaginative. Possibly lyrical. But it would mostly appeal to the over-50 crowd.
Ric Flair - limited Minnesota connection, very old. Exciting to a certain limited segment of the population.
Pete Najarian - Sort of famous in Minnesota, pretty obscure elsewhere. Najarian does have a certain charisma, though. Should be about our fifth or sixth option.
Tony Dungy - His star might not burn as brightly as it used to, but Dungy is an awesome individual and a would be a great get. He might be busy elsewhere.
Eric Decker - Should be high on our list. Young, good looking, pop-culture relevant, and a successful former Gopher and NFL-er.
Bud Grant - Legendary Gopher and multi-sport athlete, pro football HOFer. Not a TV personality, but Grant could surprise.
Ron Perlman - I had to Google this guy. A not-quite-famous celebrity with a tenuous connection to Minnesota. Does he have a sports background?
Kevin McHale - A Minnesota sports legend, but not football related. Probably a second-tier candidate.
Dave Winfield - Winfield is old, but he doesn't seem old. And he's a legendary Gopher with great credibility. Winfield would be a great candidate.
Paul Molitor - ditto Winfield in terms of his resume, but Molitor isn't as physically impressive or as personally charismatic. But still a credible candidate.
Tom Friedman - I had only a vague idea of who Friedman was. Wikipedia suggests that he has left Minnesota behind.
Lindsey Whalen - A thoughtful suggestion, but being a current employee of the U of M probably works against her. Not a big personality, but undoubtedly a great athletic persona. Second-tier candidate.
Craig T Nelson - A fun choice, but a minor celebrity who starred in a long-ago sitcom set in Minnesota. Not enough connection.
Lizzo - This is actually somebody. I had no idea. But her connection to Minnesota isn't strong. Is she a football fan? Where does she live today? Weak case.
George Clooney - Get out of here with your George Clooney.
Adam Young - The Fireflies performer is an interesting pick, but I find little aside from his Owatonna nativity to recommend him for this prestigious duty.
Alan Page - As someone else noted, Page is a virtuous and noble man, but very, very boring.
Joe Mauer - I love Joe Mauer. He was a great baseball player and would have been a great football player. But he spurned and scorned the U of M in favor of Florida State. He's also a bit of a cold fish. I cannot endorse this pick.
Yanni - Ugh, barf.
Carl Eller - Not a Minnesotan, but a Minnesota sports legend and a U alum. HOWEVER, Eller belongs to an earlier generation and has had some trouble with the law. A mid-second tier pick.
Bobby Bell - Ditto Carl Eller without the legal trouble. A high-second tier pick.
Sid Hartman - Sid would make Lee Corso look young and vital. Naw, this is a bad idea.
Marc Trestman - I wanted the U to hire Trestman back when we got Tim Brewster instead. But an obscure figure on the US football landscape. Not a figurehead for Minnesota.
Tom Lehman - Very exciting pick for the over-60, golf playing crowd. Everybody else would say, "Who?"
John Legend - Unless he's going to perform, no. A nice thought, though.
Miracle on Ice - Unfortunately there isn't a single individual on this team who would excite the audience, though I was a big Neal Broten fan during his North Stars days.
Lou Holtz - I don't hate Lou, but I would hate having him on the Gameday set in Minnesota. He hurt the U when he skipped town.
Brock Lesnar - A WWE and MMA star who was a national champion at Minnesota. An impressive figure and a big personality. This is our winner.

Bottom line: I would favor Brock Lesnar, Eric Decker, and Dave Winfield, in that order.

Last edited:

We already had another thread on this topic. Of the names I'd like:

(1) Brock
(2) Bob Dylan
(3) Jessie Diggins

Tony Dungy
Brock Lesnar
Rick Flair
Eric Decker
Prince Hologram

All at the same time

Bob Dylan - this would be interesting for sure. Probably imaginative. Possibly lyrical. But it would mostly appeal to the over-50 crowd.
Ric Flair - limited Minnesota connection, very old. Exciting to a certain limited segment of the population.
Pete Najarian - Sort of famous in Minnesota, pretty obscure elsewhere. Najarian does have a certain charisma, though. Should be about our fifth or sixth option.
Tony Dungy - His star might not burn as brightly as it used to, but Dungy is an awesome individual and a would be a great get. He might be busy elsewhere.
Eric Decker - Should be high on our list. Young, good looking, pop-culture relevant, and a successful former Gopher and NFL-er.
Bud Grant - Legendary Gopher and multi-sport athlete, pro football HOFer. Not a TV personality, but Grant could surprise.
Ron Perlman - I had to Google this guy. A not-quite-famous celebrity with a tenuous connection to Minnesota. Does he have a sports background?
Kevin McHale - A Minnesota sports legend, but not football related. Probably a second-tier candidate.
Dave Winfield - Winfield is old, but he doesn't seem old. And he's a legendary Gopher with great credibility. Winfield would be a great candidate.
Paul Molitor - ditto Winfield in terms of his resume, but Molitor isn't as physically impressive or as personally charismatic. But still a credible candidate.
Tom Friedman - I had only a vague idea of who Friedman was. Wikipedia suggests that he has left Minnesota behind.
Lindsey Whalen - A thoughtful suggestion, but being a current employee of the U of M probably works against her. Not a big personality, but undoubtedly a great athletic persona. Second-tier candidate.
Craig T Nelson - A fun choice, but a minor celebrity who starred in a long-ago sitcom set in Minnesota. Not enough connection.
Lizzo - This is actually somebody. I had no idea. But her connection to Minnesota isn't strong. Is she a football fan? Where does she live today? Weak case.
George Clooney - Get out of here with your George Clooney.
Adam Young - The Fireflies performer is an interesting pick, but I find little aside from his Owatonna nativity to recommend him for this prestigious duty.
Alan Page - As someone else noted, Page is a virtuous and noble man, but very, very boring.
Joe Mauer - I love Joe Mauer. He was a great baseball player and would have been a great football player. But he spurned and scorned the U of M in favor of Florida State. He's also a bit of a cold fish. I cannot endorse this pick.
Yanni - Ugh, barf.
Carl Eller - Not a Minnesotan, but a Minnesota sports legend and a U alum. HOWEVER, Eller belongs to an earlier generation and has had some trouble with the law. A mid-second tier pick.
Bobby Bell - Ditto Carl Eller without the legal trouble. A high-second tier pick.
Sid Hartman - Sid would make Lee Corso look young and vital. Naw, this is a bad idea.
Marc Trestman - I wanted the U to hire Trestman back when we got Tim Brewster instead. But an obscure figure on the US football landscape. Not a figurehead for Minnesota.
Tom Lehman - Very exciting pick for the over-60, golf playing crowd. Everybody else would say, "Who?"
John Legend - Unless he's going to perform, no. A nice thought, though.
Miracle on Ice - Unfortunately there isn't a single individual on this team who would excite the audience, though I was a big Neal Broten fan during his North Stars days.
Lou Holtz - I don't hate Lou, but I would hate having him on the Gameday set in Minnesota. He hurt the U when he skipped town.
Brock Lesnar - A WWE and MMA star who was a national champion at Minnesota. An impressive figure and a big personality. This is our winner.

Bottom line: I would favor Brock Lesnar, Eric Decker, and Dave Winfield, in that order.
Jesse (the Body) Ventura! Go controversial!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lesnar is probably the choice, assuming there aren't issues with his current employers TV contracts and stuff (same question I'd have about Dungy)

John Shuster, gold medal curler at 2018 Winter Olympics.

Lizzo would be HUUUUUUUUUUUGE for getting the attention of young people and their possible crossover interest. She grew up, essentially, on the First Avenue mainroom stage in front of the entire city of Minneapolis (sound like any legendary purple-clad ICONs you may be able to think of??) and she is currently larger than life itself.

Lizzo would be HUUUUUUUUUUUGE for getting the attention of young people and their possible crossover interest. She grew up, essentially, on the First Avenue mainroom stage in front of the entire city of Minneapolis (sound like any legendary purple-clad ICONs you may be able to think of??) and she is currently larger than life itself.

Agree. Someone asked if she's a football fan; "Minnesota Vikings" are lyrics in her big hit.

For me, Lesnar, Lizzo, and Legend are my first calls in terms of publicity for the U!

Top Bottom