Would 8-0 Minnesota Sell Out Against Penn State?

Well, you better check your math. Under your scenario total revenue is greater with 30,000 tickets sold for an average price of $40.

To sign Fleck will probably take $5.5 million times at least seven years. Revenue matters.

It won't be a night game according to this mornings paper. The Athletic Dept has requested that we have 11:00 or 2:30 starts for our last 2 home games.

Well, you better check your math. Under your scenario total revenue is greater with 30,000 tickets sold for an average price of $40.

Just took my kid to a college visit at Wake Forest, where students don’t pay anything extra for football tickets. The price is embedded in tuition/fees etc, but this method removes the obstacle of deciding to get tickets. If you want student participation, this seems like an approach that might work.

Just took my kid to a college visit at Wake Forest, where students don’t pay anything extra for football tickets. The price is embedded in tuition/fees etc, but this method removes the obstacle of deciding to get tickets. If you want student participation, this seems like an approach that might work.

But Wake only had like 3000 students? It’s the smallest P5 I believe?

With 50k students, not sure if it would work as well here. Plus, how do you justify charging 50k students the extra fee when it’s impossible that they could all fit in the stadium?

That was their point... Think beyond short term profit

Have you looked at their home attendance?

There's still an alarming number of tickets that appear to be available for what would be the biggest Gopher game in the TCF era, and maybe in the modern history of the program. Forget Gameday coming to Minneapolis...can the Gophers even sell out without a big boost from opposing fans? Seeing a bunch of empty seats for that one would be depressing.

Easily will sellout. If not us Penn State fans.

Where is the best place to buy tickets for the best price the's days? Craigslist? Fb marketplace?

It won't be a night game according to this mornings paper. The Athletic Dept has requested that we have 11:00 or 2:30 starts for our last 2 home games.

Can't blame them... 7pm game in November has potential to be brutal weather in Minneapolis.
At least with day games the sun helps.

I was ready to buy tickets and head to the Cities for the game and checked my calendar and realized that the basketball game in Sioux Falls was that day and already have tickets for that.

Same here.

From a record perspective, I definitely think an 8-0 team can sell out the Bank. It's happened before with primetime games like Syracuse in 2012 or TCU in 2015. It especially helps to have the bye week for hype building and allows people more time to plan.

Main factor I can think of weather being bad.

Easily will sellout. If not us Penn State fans.

It is doubtful. Just read the comments from various Trip articles. Several feel that our 8 - 0 is not legitimate because of a soft schedule. Really ridiculous since PJ and his players had nothing to do with the schedule.

It is doubtful. Just read the comments from various Trip articles. Several feel that our 8 - 0 is not legitimate because of a soft schedule. Really ridiculous since PJ and his players had nothing to do with the schedule.

Gophs are 8-0?

You lost me after "read the star Tribune".

It will sellout if we are 8-0 Id bet money on it.

I really hope more fans show up. Having too many PSU fans will be annoying. We live in MN. so not coming because of the weather is a mystery to me. There's so much @ stake for the Gophers.

Forget about Penn State, you have an undefeated team. The Maryland game should be sold out.

I could never sell out for Penn State. Never. Inconceivable.

I really think the U has to take a long, hard look at how it approaches the student ticket section.

It just looks bad when you have a fairly big chunk of seats left open. Yeah, I know it's second-deck end zone.

So, just go ahead and say that the lower deck is the student section, and re-price the upper-deck sets for discount deals, 'rush' seating, etc. Anybody who shows up 30 minutes before kickoff can get a seat in that section for $10, or something like that. And - offer group-price discounts to high school football teams. show up at the game wearing your HS jerseys, and get in for a discount. (I think they used to do that at the Dome.) Maybe a food-drive promotion - bring a non-perishable item to donate to a food shelf, and get in for a discount.

A body in a seat at any price is better than an empty seat. empty seats do not cheer, buy food, or go home and tell their buddies about the great time they had at the Gopher game.

I really think the U has to take a long, hard look at how it approaches the student ticket section.

It just looks bad when you have a fairly big chunk of seats left open. Yeah, I know it's second-deck end zone.

So, just go ahead and say that the lower deck is the student section, and re-price the upper-deck sets for discount deals, 'rush' seating, etc. Anybody who shows up 30 minutes before kickoff can get a seat in that section for $10, or something like that. And - offer group-price discounts to high school football teams. show up at the game wearing your HS jerseys, and get in for a discount. (I think they used to do that at the Dome.) Maybe a food-drive promotion - bring a non-perishable item to donate to a food shelf, and get in for a discount.

A body in a seat at any price is better than an empty seat. empty seats do not cheer, buy food, or go home and tell their buddies about the great time they had at the Gopher game.

Completely agree. Considering the student ticket price for Penn State and Wisconsin is $30 instead of $20 like the rest of the games, it's pretty clear the U is clueless as to how to get students to the game.

Add $30 a year to undergraduate tuition/fees,etc making attendance apparently free for all students on a first come, first served basis. This would boost attendance and likely create better long term affinity, including ticket sales to recent graduates.

Wake Forest's problem is that their stadium is off campus and far enough away to be inconvenient even if tickets are free. But their scheme, along with a little marketing, would likely fill the student section at TCF while allowing the cost to be spread out over an undergraduate population six times larger.

78% of the students live off campus. Some live nearby but it did not use to be the majority...so our commuter campus is a factor in attendance.

I would think $30 for a student ticket is pretty close to saying eff you. Certainly not helpful to building relationships.

Add $30 a year to undergraduate tuition/fees,etc making attendance apparently free for all students on a first come, first served basis. This would boost attendance and likely create better long term affinity, including ticket sales to recent graduates.

Wake Forest's problem is that their stadium is off campus and far enough away to be inconvenient even if tickets are free. But their scheme, along with a little marketing, would likely fill the student section at TCF while allowing the cost to be spread out over an undergraduate population six times larger.

It wouldn't even need to be $30. I'm not sure what the U makes off of student tickets alone, but adding $10 would be $500,000 total. At $100 per season ticket (not including packages with other sports) I'd be surprised if there were many more than 5,000 season tickets sold to match that.

$30 fee increase would create a season ticket, not a per game ticket. Students would swipe into the stadium like they do the library.

Slightly off topic, but when I was freshman at the University of Arizona in 1990, with a student ID it was either free admission or maybe $5 (I know inflation now isn't the same). A couple guys and girls went. The girls snuck the booze in their bags, while security made sure the guys' drink mugs were empty. Bought some cokes, mixed with the booze, got sh!t faced, had a blast. Along with a lot of other students doing the same thing. Student section was loud as was the whole stadium.
That seemed like a college atmosphere. Just mentioning because it was fun and that's what students at a college football game need to have-fun. Maybe not everyone get drunk, but have fun in their own way. Students need to feel like students, not tax payers.

Slightly off topic, but when I was freshman at the University of Arizona in 1990, with a student ID it was either free admission or maybe $5 (I know inflation now isn't the same). A couple guys and girls went. The girls snuck the booze in their bags, while security made sure the guys' drink mugs were empty. Bought some cokes, mixed with the booze, got sh!t faced, had a blast. Along with a lot of other students doing the same thing. Student section was loud as was the whole stadium.
That seemed like a college atmosphere. Just mentioning because it was fun and that's what students at a college football game need to have-fun. Maybe not everyone get drunk, but have fun in their own way. Students need to feel like students, not tax payers.

Don't worry, similar activities are still the norm today :)

Didn't the legislature mandate that we had to have 10,000 student seats or something when we build the stadium?

Does anyone know when the start time will be announced?

The problem with the student section as others have pointed out is that it is split in two. You need to reach a critical mass in the upper deck for it to be a good time. Students will continue to cram into the lower section until it is full and when that is full they will leave. No one wants to be the 10% that is exposed in the upper deck. Students want to be packed in by other students, they don't want to have emptiness around them. Yes, it sounds stupid but that is what is happening.

Top Bottom