Sid: Gophers 7-0 start is historic

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers 7-0 start is historic

The Gophers’ 42-7 victory over Rutgers on Saturday was no surprise. The oddsmakers had made the 20th-ranked Gophers 28-point favorites in a road conference game. But it still was impressive to see just how dominant this team can be when playing a weaker opponent.

They had 443 yards of offense to Rutgers’ 189 and held the Scarlet Knights to an incredible 48 passing yards. Once again the Gophers got a little bit of everything from a number of contributors. Tyler Johnson had 130 yards receiving; Rodney Smith rushed for 116 yards and two scores; and Antoine Winfield Jr. had two interceptions and returned one for a touchdown.

The victory moved P.J. Fleck’s squad to 7-0, and 4-0 in conference play. But the bigger news is that the Big Ten West now runs through the Gophers as Wisconsin had an unbelievable 24-23 loss at Illinois, a game the Badgers were favored to win by more than 30 points. The Gophers beat Illinois 40-17 on Oct. 5.

So not only are the Gophers ahead of Wisconsin by a game, but the Badgers have to play at No. 4 Ohio State next week. Both the Gophers and Badgers still have Iowa on the schedule as well, and the teams meet at TCF Bank Stadium to end the regular season Nov. 30.

Only five Gophers teams have started 7-0 since 1930 and all five won the national championship. Those clubs were the 1934, 1935, 1940 and 1941 clubs, all coached by Bernie Bierman, and the 1960 team coached by Murray Warmath.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-have-a-tradition-of-success-against-lions/563469972/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

Sid is ALSO historic.

Which two of these are not like the other...

8BE85B2A-9311-43AE-8A99-1ADE060E3A54.jpg

Are you predicting a meeting in Indy?

Now that Wisconsin looks beatable, I’m feeling confident about our chances. Need to take care of business next Saturday. I predict we win one of PSU and Iowa, and then it comes down to a matchup with Wisconsin.

I don’t care what anyone says, or how superstitious anyone is, this Gopher squad can beat any team in college football with MAYBE the exception of maybe Bama, Clemson, LSU, and OSU. I think the Gophers have enough weapons and a solid enough defense, and the drive to do it. They’re hungry to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Go Gophers!!
Sid is hanging on for one last Big 10 Championship by the Gophers. He loves Gopher football, ran in to him at Airport and Ann Arbor once, he is definitely a huge Gopher football fan.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I don’t care what anyone says, or how superstitious anyone is, this Gopher squad can beat any team in college football with MAYBE the exception of maybe Bama, Clemson, LSU, and OSU. I think the Gophers have enough weapons and a solid enough defense, and the drive to do it. They’re hungry to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might add Oklahoma to the list as well, but even still, I think we'd make a game of it with almost anyone

First we have to beat Maryland which has won the last two, blowing the Gophers out last year. IF the Gophers win that one, the bye week will be a perfect preparation for a heroic November, with four really tough opponents (including Northwestern which we play on their turf at a time when they will be hungry to win a big one). If we can win one of the four, preferably Wisconsin, we'll finish 9-3, with a bowl victory also possible - a record almost no one in the media expected. Anything beyond that is nirvana.

I expect at least 2-2 in November. I would be more surprised if we went 1-3 than if we went 3-1

Top Bottom