Marcus Carr and Payton Willis Are Ready to Take Charge in Gophers' Backcourt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sam:

The Minnesota Golden Gophers surprised their fans last March with a trip to the Big Ten Tournament semi-finals and an NCAA Tournament victory over favored Louisville.

And they had two of their better players watching from the sideline.

Transfers Marcus Carr and Payton Willis looked on as the Gophers battled throughout 2018-19 with a shallow bench, forced to sit out for a year due to the NCAA’s transfer rules. Carr had hoped to receive a waiver to play immediately due to a “toxic environment,” he claimed, at his former program, Pittsburgh, but was denied.

After a trying year away from playing competitive games, Carr and Willis are projected to be a starters in Minnesota’s new-look lineup that is missing three-year starters Jordan Murphy and Dupree McBrayer, who graduated, and Amir Coffey, who left for the NBA. They’ll join returning shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur to form the Gophers’ backcourt.

“Payton and Marcus are two very, very important guys for us,” said head coach Richard Pitino Friday at Gophers media day. “We’ve got a lot of new guys, but they’re not young. They can’t act young. New guys are going to do some things some days that are going to make you go crazy, but they just can’t do it too much. That’s the key with young guys. Marcus and Payton, I don’t look at them like young guys. I look at them like veterans.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/gophe...re-ready-to-take-charge-in-gophers-backcourt/

Go Gophers!!

Very true. They need to step up and be what they were brought in for. Leaders and experienced players. From what I've heard they are every bit of that and more. Good luck guys. This team looks exciting with a completely different style. I'm looking for big things this year. 13 BIG wins minimum.

That would really go against the narrative that this team is nothing now that Murph and Coffey are gone :p with a lot of people thinking this team has 7 or less B1G wins in them

Top Bottom