STrib: Four-man freshman class excites Gophers men's basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Richard Pitino decided to stack one of his squads with freshmen in Friday’s scrimmage at the end of practice, but they weren’t backing down against the starters.

Tre’ Williams saw a defender in front of him on the baseline early but that didn’t stop him from taking off.

Instead of getting his shot blocked, the bouncy 6-5 guard from Dallas just hung in the air and tossed the ball in off the glass.

Williams let out a scream to ignite his younger teammates on the Gold squad. Freshmen competing with upperclassmen has become a common sight from Richard Pitino’s under-the-radar incoming recruiting class, which includes 6-9 forward Isaiah Ihnen, 6-10 center Sam Freeman and point guard Bryan Greenlee.

“All of us are tough, all of us can do different things on the court,” Williams said. “I think we’re one of the best classes in the Big Ten, if I’m being honest. I feel like this year will show that.”

Pitino said he wasn’t surprised by that or how his recruiting class turned out.

“All of a sudden all the scouts saw Tre’ Williams and all of a sudden he’s a top-100 kid,” Pitino said at Gophers media day Friday. “I wasn’t surprised because he was really, really under the radar. I wasn’t surprised when Isaiah Ihnen was a four-star kid because if you look at him and you watch him play, he’s really, really talented, and he’s got big-time potential. And Sam and [Greenlee] may be a bit more under the radar, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be effective players.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-man-freshman-class-excites-gophers-men-s-basketball/563415982/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom