Should Minnesota pass Wisconsin in the polls?

fmlizard

Reaction score
I expect Wisconsin to still outrank Minnesota on Sunday. Even though the Michigan win is rapidly fading and Minnesota did far better against the only common opponent. Give me your best argument on why Minnesota (or Wisconsin) should be ranked higher.

Wisconsin will fall but not far enough for us to pass them. They will probably be somewhere in the 10-12 range and we will be somewhere in the 17-19 range....now should they lose to Ohio State next week and assuming we take care of Maryland then I absolutely think we would pass them.

I'm not going to go to the mat for Wisconsin to be ranked ahead of us, and I'm just about as big a homer as you'll find, but I don't blame the polls for holding close early season victories against SDSU and GSouthern against the Gophers until they beat a team that folks can actually agree is any good. It takes a good team to go 7-0 in the Big 10 on any schedule, but we've faced about as easy a conference slate as can be imagined.

While I think the Gophers definitely COULD be better than Wisconsin, I don't blame outsiders for not being sold on the Gophers as being better than Wisconsin. Wisconsin has annihilated almost everyone they played, including dismantling a ranked Michigan team and putting up 38 on a well-respected Michigan State defense. While you can argue that Michigan and Mich St. aren't any good, the voters certainly think Michigan is better than we are (for now).

Last edited:

In short, the answer is no.

What OP said and the fact that we dominated them on their field less than a year ago. If anyone just looked at these teams from when we last played them up until now I don't know how you could rank Wisconsin as anything but a distant second. That said, unfortunately I think we will still be ranked behind them.

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota has looked good against bad teams, while Wisconsin has proved to be good against generally better competition. Wisconsin will drop 5-10 spots. I don't think the Gophers will get a big bump for walking all over a 1-6 team that's been shut out three times and thrashed by both Indiana and Maryland.

Expect Wiscy to stay higher-ranked than the Gophers this week.

Minnesota has looked good against bad teams, while Wisconsin has proved to be good against generally better competition. Wisconsin will drop 5-10 spots. I don't think the Gophers will get a big bump for walking all over a 1-6 team that's been shut out three times and thrashed by both Indiana and Maryland.

Expect Wiscy to stay higher-ranked than the Gophers this week.

Wisconsin proved to be not as good as the gophers both when we last played them and against the only common opponent since we played them, Illinois.

I expect Wisconsin to still outrank Minnesota on Sunday. Even though the Michigan win is rapidly fading and Minnesota did far better against the only common opponent. Give me your best argument on why Minnesota (or Wisconsin) should be ranked higher.

I only care that we’re ranked ahead of them on 12/1.

Wisconsin is far superior.

/thread

BowlingGophers-1280x636.jpg

/nonsense

Last edited:

Interestingly, today was WI’s first road game since August. People talk about MN’s favorable schedule but forget WI has also had a favorable schedule up until now. I’m looking forward to them getting blasted by OSU next week.

In short, the answer is no.

Long answer is no too. Wisconsin will drop to like #11 and we'll maybe move up a spot or two. Not a lot of losses ahead of us for us to move up.

Not yet.

Need to beat Maryland.

Then need to beat Penn St.

Do that, then we'll have a higher ranking.

In the common opponent debate, it’s not completely apples to apples:

Minnesota, at home, beat Illinois.
Wisconsin, on the road, lost to Illinois.

No. I do think Minnesota should be a few spots ahead of where they are, but Wisconsin is still a very good team.

No

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/b]

But not good enough to beat Illinois.

Illinois was tired of hearing how good Wisconsin is.
9 times out of 10 WI beats Illinois. But not today. Today was Illinois day.

I don't know if we will be ranked higher than them but no way they only drop to 11th like some of you predicting, Georgia dropped to 10th from the 3rd spot after losing too much better team in South Carolina. Also we will be ranked high than them for sure if we beat Maryland and they lose to Ohio State which they will, we won't need to wait til after penn state game to be ranked higher.

I don't know if we will be ranked higher than them but no way they only drop to 11th like some of you predicting, Georgia dropped to 10th from the 3rd spot after losing too much better team in South Carolina. Also we will be ranked high than them for sure if we beat Maryland and they lose to Ohio State which they will, we won't need to wait til after penn state game to be ranked higher.

Agree with all of this. You drop five spots by losing to another good team. Losing to Illinois is going to drop Wisconsin more than five spots. Again....probably not enough for us to jump them....but I bet they drop to the mid-teens (#14/#15/#16). And after they lose to OSU and we beat Maryland, we will jump them.

How much did Clemson drop the year they lost to a 4-8 Syracuse or Pitt Team?

Answer: Dropped from #2 to #7.

When they lost to 5-4 Pitt team they dropped from #3 to #5.

Last edited:

No, Gophers still have some Improving to do to be ranked higher then Wisconsin. Hope that’s the case at the end of the regular season though.

We haven’t lost a game since we beat Wisconsin nearly 11 months ago.

Their win against Michigan is better than any of our wins, but they now have a bad loss against a team we destroyed, and Michigan was/is? in a funk. Wisconsin’s defense may be slightly overrated, due to the fact that haven’t faced a good offense yet. And...their previous 5 games, leading up to the Illinois game were at home.

Of course, Wisconsin will still poll higher this week, but due to all of the above, they should not.

Last edited:

We haven’t lost a game since we beat Wisconsin nearly 11 months ago.

Their win against Michigan is better than any of our wins, but they now have a bad loss against a team we destroyed, and Michigan was/is? in a funk. Wisconsin’s defense may be slightly overrated, due to the fact that haven’t faced a good offense yet. And...their previous 5 games, leading up to the Illinois game were at home.

Of course, Wisconsin will still poll higher this week, but due to all of the above, they should not.

Michigan is within 7 of PSU and controlling the second half so far.

In the common opponent debate, it’s not completely apples to apples:

Minnesota, at home, beat Illinois.
Wisconsin, on the road, lost to Illinois.

And Minnesota got to play against their second string QB.

And Minnesota got to play against their second string QB.

With our 2nd string QB.

But, it shouldn’t matter whether it was at home or on the road, or which mediocre QB Illinois threw out there. Wisconsin has no business losing to Illinois

Last edited:

Top Bottom