So we can talk Maryland now right?

Maryland was the 3rd team last year that seemed to house the Gopher D on about every 3rd play. Minnesota beat Ill and Neb (the other 2) to show they have the D this year. Kamal maybe not being on the field hurts with his side to side athleticism and nose for the ball. When Maryland is on, they are a damn good offense.
That being said, Rossi will scheme a way to help the LBs cover and slow the Maryland offense, the Gopher offense will put up close to 40, and I will agree with the OP and not get too worried. Trust the coaches to scheme better than Maryland's coaches. Gophers win by 2 scores.

Long range weather forecast for Maryland game looks ridiculously perfect for late October football in MN. If it holds, it will be partly cloudy with temps in the mid 50’s. That might even sell a few seats if people could take a brief break from shutting down their cabins to check out a 7-0 Gopher team.

Win or lose, the “they haven’t played anyone yet” narrative will continue. They literally have to beat Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa to avoid the “same old Gophers” label. A very tall order. Yet anyone that closely follows college football knows Maryland has been particularly hard on Fleck-coached Gopher teams and the outcome of this game is not predetermined. All the makings of a trap game prior to a potential undefeated showdown with Penn State.

Stats going into the game:

Longest Active Winning Streaks
1Clemson22
2Ohio State13
3Appalachian State12
4Minnesota, Baylor9

Career Passing TD's
1Adam Weber72
2-7......
8Billy Cockerham29
9Tanner Morgan, Tony Dungy25

Single Season Passing TD's
1Adam Weber24
2-6......
7Cory Sauter18
8Asad Abdul-Khaliq17
9Tanner Morgan16

Career Rushing Yards
1Darrell Thompson4,518
2Laurence Maroney3,933
3Thomas Hamner3,810
4Rodney Smith3,745

Career Rushing TD's
1Darrell Thompson40
2-4......
5Laurence Maroney32
6Rodney Smith27

Career Receptions
1Eric Decker227
2Ron Johnson196
3Tutu Atwell171
4Tyler Johnson166

Career Receiving Yards
1Eric Decker3,119
2Ron Johnson2,931
3Tutu Atwell2,640
4Tyler Johnson2,576

Career Receiving TD's
1Ron Johnson31
2Tyler Johnson, Ernie Wheelwright26

Last edited:

My biggest concern is their running game and our defense not having Kamal Martin. Run fits will be very very important. Quickness and sure tackling as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just went back and rewatched our terrible 2018 loss to Maryland on YouTube. I am now not as worried about next Sat for our rematch and here are my comforting reasons:

1) We now have TM at the helm instead of that horrible Zach Annexsted! ZA looked horrible last year. So this year will be a completely different game because TM is more experienced with a better OL squad and has more supporting weapons

2) McFarland and their running attacks killed us last year! Next week McFarland won’t be playing (I think)

3) We’ll be at home

4) Maryland QB will still with their back up

If our D (even without #21) can just get 50% of their possessions to be 3 and outs, I believe our O will win this game for us!

Didn’t realize both Rodney and TJ have chances to break the career rushing and receiving marks. Both look close enough to pass or also fall short. Maybe get them an extra game or 2 in December :)

Long range weather forecast for Maryland game looks ridiculously perfect for late October football in MN. If it holds, it will be partly cloudy with temps in the mid 50’s. That might even sell a few seats if people could take a brief break from shutting down their cabins to check out a 7-0 Gopher team.

Win or lose, the “they haven’t played anyone yet” narrative will continue. They literally have to beat Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa to avoid the “same old Gophers” label. A very tall order. Yet anyone that closely follows college football knows Maryland has been particularly hard on Fleck-coached Gopher teams and the outcome of this game is not predetermined. All the makings of a trap game prior to a potential undefeated showdown with Penn State.

We need a whole other thread for weather watch.

My biggest concern is their running game and our defense not having Kamal Martin. Run fits will be very very important. Quickness and sure tackling as well.

Yeah I'm concerned. Kamal really seemed to help turn that defense around. ... I'm concerned.

I want to see a demolition of this team, this program, this school for what happened last year. If this comes to pass (and I predict the team will be amped again) the hype machine going into PSU will be rolling.

Last 5 games played

Minnesota

Rutgers 42-7 W
Nebraska 34-7 W
Illinois 40-17 W
Purdue 38-31 W
GaSo 35-32 W

Maryland

Indiana 34-28 L
Purdue 40-14 L
Rutgers 48-7 W
Penn State 59-0 L
Temple 20-17 L

ESPN Matchup Predictor: Minnesota 82.8% Win Probability

Last edited:

How is that not a fair narrative now but it was for 2016 season, right here, from many GHers?

Maryland might not have McFarland but they still have Leake. Not sure how the junior Leake has only 80 run attempts in his career. He has a career average of over 9 ypc. Seems criminal how little they’ve involved him, maybe there is more to it than I know, maybe injuries or something? The good thing if Martin is out is that the backups have actually gotten a fair amount of play time now. I think Sori Marin has definitely improved since SDSU and Oliver has had flashes.

Maryland will be a challenge. No pushover.

I’ m thnking we better beat Maryland now before they start picking up the leftovers from Alabama. That’s why he was hired. Not coaching abilities but recruiting abilities. Good athletes make poor coaches look good.

How is that not a fair narrative now but it was for 2016 season, right here, from many GHers?

I am actually a little surprised that you and a few others have not been bringing up 2016 more often to this point.

There are some definite parallels in what this team has done compared to what the team in 2016 did. We haven't beaten a truly good team yet in conference play and only Nebraska has a record above .500 on the season right now. In 2016 only one of the 5 wins in the conference came against a team that would finish above .500 on the season (7-6 Northwestern).

The key difference between 2016 and this season is that 2016 was the apex for that team and the collapse of 2017 was easy to see coming from a mile away regardless of who the coach would have been. On the flip side 2019 is a building year with the vast majority of the team coming back in 2020 meaning that what we are seeing right now is hopefully just the beginning of a long run of sustained success.

The other thing is that we are dominating Big Ten teams in a way that hasn't been seen around here in a long time......

The 2016 team started off 0-2 in the B1G, they didn’t have a chance to build the competitor narrative.

At the end of the season they may look similar, but right now, the 2019 gophers haven’t lost.

The 2016 team started off 0-2 in the B1G, they didn’t have a chance to build the competitor narrative.

At the end of the season they may look similar, but right now, the 2019 gophers haven’t lost.

Who you play when matters...close losses to Iowa and then Penn State on the road in OT.

If Minnesota only beats Maryland and NU the rest of the way, then this team will end up being pretty similar to that 8-4 team (beat everyone but the ranked teams), but our schedule gave us the weaker Big Ten teams first. No shame in beating who’s on the schedule and enjoying 7-0 and #17.

If Minnesota only beats Maryland and NU the rest of the way, then this team will end up being pretty similar to that 8-4 team (beat everyone but the ranked teams), but our schedule gave us the weaker Big Ten teams first. No shame in beating who’s on the schedule and enjoying 7-0 and #17.

Agreed, exciting and enjoyable start.

Who you play when matters...close losses to Iowa and then Penn State on the road in OT.

I was answering your original question. That narrative doesn’t fit the 2019 gophers because they haven’t lost yet. You’re anticipating a drop off.

I was answering your original question. That narrative doesn’t fit the 2019 gophers because they haven’t lost yet. You’re anticipating a drop off.

That's fair...part of my point is the schedule. I have been pointing to 2019 for three years as a real opportunity for Gophs to do something special with a favorable schedule.

Anyone find a Maryland message board where they actually have posters? There must be one...

Week 9 Preview: Maryland at No. 17 Minnesota | B1G Football

This game is scary. Maryland has speed. McFarland and Leake are both playing.

Last edited:

We have speed too. Don’t forget what we have

Are you going to post this on every thread?

Last edited:

So who’s still scared of Maryland...? Haha I hate to say it, well no I don’t, I told you so

Top Bottom