Kamal Martin injury watch thread

Here's a transcript of the tweet for the people who don't want look at a tweet, don't want to click a link AND don't want to search for the tweet:

Andy Greder
@andygreder

Good News: #Gophers linebacker Kamal Martin will be a game-time decision vs. Maryland, Coach PJ Fleck said.

9:26 AM - 21 Oct 2019

8 Retweets 124 Likes

Do you have an audio file where I can have Siri read it to me?

I want to be overjoyed that it’s not an ACL, but given this staff’s history with injuries and depth charts I am skeptical. Is this going to be like when Mo was good to go for 3 straight weeks but didn’t see a snap?

Mo did play 2 snaps against Purdue. After Illinois PJ clarified that they really did expect he would be good to go but something later came up in the week and he wasn't just trying to fool the media and I believe him.

I want to be overjoyed that it’s not an ACL, but given this staff’s history with injuries and depth charts I am skeptical. Is this going to be like when Mo was good to go for 3 straight weeks but didn’t see a snap?

Fair to be skeptical about the game day decision part sure. But I think it is clear this isn't a season ending injury as many feared after it happened. The staff has no reason to lie and pretend like he might play if they know he is going to miss the rest of the year. That would just be stupid.

Wow, I am happy to be 100% wrong on this one. If there’s any doubt this season has divine intervention written all over it with the miracle endings, opposing team injuries, Casey O’ Brien story, 7-0 start, Sconnie losing to IL now a key starter avoiding what looked like season ending injury then I don’t know what to say. Connelly this week even giving us a 43% chance to defeat PSU and WI which looked more like 10% chances 4 weeks ago...

Uhuh! You said it. Are you suggesting a "parting of the Red Sea" to the CFP?

I said in the game thread I'd be shocked if it weren't an ACL. Color me surprised and ecstatic! I'm here to take my medicine. I believe somebody called me "Dr. Oz" after that post...so yeah...

a1581f9c17c2e3ffdcb71e3b7ece42f397bd263aa6c94c816c72beb634c0c480.jpg

Good on you ! I was shocked to see how many orthopedic surgeon posters we had on GH. Ultimately, we are all thrilled with this less serious outcome. This could truly be our year.

Good on you ! I was shocked to see how many orthopedic surgeon posters we had on GH. Ultimately, we are all thrilled with this less serious outcome. This could truly be our year.

To be clear I was very upfront that my license was revoked.

So, is it an an ACL or MCL tear? Or is it just a strain?

So, is it an an ACL or MCL tear? Or is it just a strain?

If pj only gives us “it’s a lower leg injury” there’s no way to tell if it’s a ligamentous injury (sprain) or muscular (strain)- let alone which structure is involved nor how severe it is. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more severe than letting on for that matter- hope not but we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If pj only gives us “it’s a lower leg injury” there’s no way to tell if it’s a ligamentous injury (sprain) or muscular (strain)- let alone which structure is involved nor how severe it is. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more severe than letting on for that matter- hope not but we’ll see.

"Ligamentous"? Now your just using big words...……….

I have an incessant need to look for silver linings, so for this one i'm going with:

if Kamal Martin sits out the bowl game for NFL draft preparations at the end of the year, this Maryland game could be an invaluable start for Braelen Oliver to get a full game of experience before he's gonna have to try to fill that void.

I have an incessant need to look for silver linings, so for this one i'm going with:

if Kamal Martin sits out the bowl game for NFL draft preparations at the end of the year, this Maryland game could be an invaluable start for Braelen Oliver to get a full game of experience before he's gonna have to try to fill that void.

I was thinking the same thing. We didn't have Blake Cashman, our leading tackler, against GA Tech and we did just fine.

I was thinking the same thing. We didn't have Blake Cashman, our leading tackler, against GA Tech and we did just fine.

Big difference between going into a game knowing you won't have a key player vs. losing that key player during the game itself. In the case of Martin, the backups are getting all the first team reps this week most likely so they should be ready to go against Maryland which will help cut down some of the dropoff that will happen in going from the starter to the backup.

P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers announced their depth chart for the Gophers conference game as they take on the Maryland Terrapins this weekend.

Here is a look at Gophers depth chart that was released by the school on Tuesday morning ahead the Maryland game.

Left Tackle - 70 Sam Schlueter - 79 Jason Dickson

Left Guard - 64 Blaise Andries - 67 Nate Umlor

Center - 64 Conner Olson OR 60 John Michael Schmitz

Right Guard - 51 Curtis Dunlap Jr. - 65 Axel Ruschmeyer

Right Tackle - 78 Daniel Faalele - 74 Kyle Sassack

Quarterback - 2 Tanner Morgan - 14 Cole Kramer OR 15 Jacob Clark

Tailback - 1 Rodney Smith OR 24 Mohamed Ibrahim OR 4 Shannon Brooks - 21 Bryce Williams OR 3 Cam Wiley

Tight End - 80 Jake Paulson - 42 Ko Kieft OR 85 Bryce Witham OR 88 Brevyn Spann-Ford

Wide Receiver - 13 Rashod Bateman - 17 Seth Green

Wide Receiver - 7 Chris Autman-Bell OR 82 Demetrius Douglas - 83 Harry Van Dyne

Wide Receiver - 6 Tyler Johnson - 18 Clay Geary

Defense

D-End - 46 Winston DeLattiboudere - 9 Esezi Otomewo

Tackle - 90 Sam Renner - 19 Keonte Schad

Tackle - 18 Micah Dew-Treadway - 52 Jamaal Teague OR 91 Noah Hickcox

R-End - 45 Carter Coughlin - 12 Tai'yon Devers OR 34 Boye Mafe

Linebacker - 41 Thomas Barber - 55 Mariano Sori-Marin

Linebacker - 21 Kamal Martin - 8 Thomas Rush OR 14 Braelen Oliver

Defensive Back - 25 Benjamin St-Juste OR 31 Kiondre Thomas

Defensive Back - 11 Antoine Winfield Jr. - 1 Calvin Swenson

Defensive Back - 23 Jordan Howden - 27 Tyler Nubin OR 22 Benny Sapp III

Defensive Back - 16 Coney Durr OR 4 Terell Smith OR 2 Phillip Howard

Defensive Back - 6 Chris Williamson - 26 Justus Harris

Special Teams

Kicker - 38 Michael Lantz - 34 Brock Walker

Punter - 47 Jacob Herbers - 46 Alex Melvin

Long Snapper - 37 Brady Weeks - 39 Michael Vojvodich

Kick Return - 1 Rodney Smith OR 24 Mo Ibrahim

Punt Return - 82 Demetrius Douglas OR 11 Antoine Winfield Jr.

Holder - 47 Jacob Herbers - 46 Alex Melvin - 14 Casey O’Brien

Kamal Martin still listed as a starter for the depth chart, but I realize the depth chart hasn't always been what happens for the game.

Last edited:

Terell Smith is listed on the two deeps even though he was most recently spotted walking around in a boot.

Nice to see and hear KM is fine and will start

KM will be listed as day to day until his surgically repaired knee heals

I kid

Its all part of what I was complaining about several pages ago. I realize most (maybe every) team does this and keeping injuries a mystery is now part of the game. But as a fan it is hard to hear things like Faalele is fine but then sits out the following week, Brooks is fine but sits out for extended time, etc. etc.

In this case, yesterday seemed like great news as it was widely reported after Fleck said they got "good news" about Martin's knee and he is "day to day" but by the end of the day there was the throw in: "still has a few tests" . I sure would feel better if there could be a legit "all clear" or something pointedly saying "no ligament tears"

I sort of cringe and start counting and confirming starters at the beginning of every game.

Players are still "students" at the university and there is that confidentiality agreement regarding there health status and letting others know what it is. This is to remain confidential unless or until the student or guardian (if under a certain age) gives permission to disclose such information. I do believe this is the case and remains the main reason why there is no disclosure, along with not letting the up and coming opponent know what the status is also

Its all part of what I was complaining about several pages ago. I realize most (maybe every) team does this and keeping injuries a mystery is now part of the game. But as a fan it is hard to hear things like Faalele is fine but then sits out the following week, Brooks is fine but sits out for extended time, etc. etc.

In this case, yesterday seemed like great news as it was widely reported after Fleck said they got "good news" about Martin's knee and he is "day to day" but by the end of the day there was the throw in: "still has a few tests" . I sure would feel better if there could be a legit "all clear" or something pointedly saying "no ligament tears"

I sort of cringe and start counting and confirming starters at the beginning of every game.

I think part of the issue some of us have is that we are in a pro sports town so we are used to the pro teams being a lot more specific when it comes to injuries. For instance in the NFL you will see players declared as out days in advance, you don't get that same thing in college.

While it would be great if coaches came out and were 100% honest and straightforward about a players status, I don't fault them for not doing it as long as it is not something that is required by the NCAA.

There also is the simple fact that they honestly might not know for sure on a player until much later in the week. Some guys heal more quickly then others.

As it pertains to Martin it seems pretty clear that the injury he has isn't season ending which is all any of us should truly be concerned with. He may very well miss the next game but seems likely that he will be back in time for Penn State based on how they are treating the injury news to this point.

I think part of the issue some of us have is that we are in a pro sports town so we are used to the pro teams being a lot more specific when it comes to injuries. For instance in the NFL you will see players declared as out days in advance, you don't get that same thing in college.

While it would be great if coaches came out and were 100% honest and straightforward about a players status, I don't fault them for not doing it as long as it is not something that is required by the NCAA.

There also is the simple fact that they honestly might not know for sure on a player until much later in the week. Some guys heal more quickly then others.

As it pertains to Martin it seems pretty clear that the injury he has isn't season ending which is all any of us should truly be concerned with. He may very well miss the next game but seems likely that he will be back in time for Penn State based on how they are treating the injury news to this point.

Agreed.

Would be great, and correct IMO, if the NCAA forced FBS teams to issue NFL style injury reports across the board, every week.

Complain all you want about gamesmanship and so on, but it would be level across teams and conferences.

Agreed.

Would be great, and correct IMO, if the NCAA forced FBS teams to issue NFL style injury reports across the board, every week.

Complain all you want about gamesmanship and so on, but it would be level across teams and conferences.

I wonder what the rules would be with personal health information and colleges being required to disclose it ... seems like there could be some conflicts.

For what its worth, Ryan Burns sounded more pessimistic about Martin's injury on his podcast. Not sure if he has any more info on it that what's already out there, but he talked about it possibly being Martin's last snap as a Gopher.

For what its worth, Ryan Burns sounded more pessimistic about Martin's injury on his podcast. Not sure if he has any more info on it that what's already out there, but he talked about it possibly being Martin's last snap as a Gopher.

I mean I'm hopeful but it's hardly like it is in PJ's best interest to tell us everything .... god knows he keeps telling me to stop calling.

Fleck reiterated today that they “got some good news” as it relates to Kamal, and that he’s a game time decision. I take that mean no ligament tears. Beyond that, who knows.

Agreed.

I don’t think injury reports or depth charts should be required or posted. Let’s face it, it all about gambling and sports betting. The rest is just pablum.

No use worrying about something you can not control. Assuming you are not betting on the game, let it be.

Top Bottom