Kamal Martin injury watch thread

For what its worth, Ryan Burns sounded more pessimistic about Martin's injury on his podcast. Not sure if he has any more info on it that what's already out there, but he talked about it possibly being Martin's last snap as a Gopher.

Interesting as Martin would qualify for a redshirt if it was a season-ending injury. He only played 4 games this season. Is what he has shown this year enough to get him drafted coming off an injury? That's an honest question and I'd be interested to hear peoples' takes.

(That said, I don't think he has a season-ending injury at all)

Interesting as Martin would qualify for a redshirt if it was a season-ending injury. He only played 4 games this season. Is what he has shown this year enough to get him drafted coming off an injury? That's an honest question and I'd be interested to hear peoples' takes.

(That said, I don't think he has a season-ending injury at all)

He has played in 5 games. He missed SDSU for disciplinary reasons, and missed Georgia Southern due to illness, but played in the rest of the games thus far.

He has played in 5 games. He missed SDSU for disciplinary reasons, and missed Georgia Southern due to illness, but played in the rest of the games thus far.

Ah damnit, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. Was thinking 4 during the Rutgers game but obviously not counting that one.

I wonder what the rules would be with personal health information and colleges being required to disclose it ... seems like there could be some conflicts.

How are NFL teams able to disclose injuries, with patient doctor privilege between a player and the team doctor?

Obviously there is some way. Maybe you just give very generic descriptions like “leg injury”. But the key thing is probable/questionable/out status for the game that week.

How are NFL teams able to disclose injuries, with patient doctor privilege between a player and the team doctor?

Obviously there is some way. Maybe you just give very generic descriptions like “leg injury”. But the key thing is probable/questionable/out status for the game that week.

It's probably in the collective bargaining agreement.

I'd guess with pros it's been negotiated between the players' union and the league.

Seems like PJ has given the status. They don't know for sure and will decide Saturday. Pretty "questionable" to me.

Fleck reiterated today that they “got some good news” as it relates to Kamal, and that he’s a game time decision. I take that mean no ligament tears. Beyond that, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to injuries, whatever PJ says can be pretty much disregarded. He said Faalele was ok and then he didn’t even suit up for next game. Mo had a minor thing and didn’t see the field for 3 weeks. He’ll need to suit up and play for me to believe the injury wasn’t serious.

IMO Kamal will not play this week but will be back for PSU, which is great news.

"Kamal being a game time decision, if there's one person I don't worry about practicing, knows the defense just as good as us, it's Kamal Martin. So as we keep going forward we'll make a decision on that, but we had some really good news, which I know all of you reported on, which was really good for us and really excited for him as well, because that can be scary for a young man, that's had the career he's had and the success he's having this year. But the other guys have to be able to step in, step up, if he doesn't play, which we feel they're capable of doing." -The Fleckster 10/22

I'm sure there is a disclaimer you sign as a player. You want an NFL salary, your injury information is public. You think Lew Ford wanted people to know he burned himself ironing a shirt while wearing it?

As professionals who are compensated directly / employees with contracts I think it is a bit different than for most college players who are also students, often part of a public educational institution.

Didn’t Engel tear his ACL and was questionable for the next game a few years ago?

I respect the players privacy but I wish if they were doing that they wouldn’t lead people on. I also understand there is gamesmanship to it, so I just ignore it at this point. If he’s healthy he’ll play. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Didn’t Engel tear his ACL and was questionable for the next game a few years ago?

I respect the players privacy but I wish if they were doing that they wouldn’t lead people on. I also understand there is gamesmanship to it, so I just ignore it at this point. If he’s healthy he’ll play. I’ll believe it when I see it.

All signs suggest Martin avoided a bad injury. I feel like people think the only injury possible to the knee is a ACL tear. There are other injuries, from really minor contusions to some sprains and more serious ligament damage. Just because Martin doesn’t play this week doesn’t mean Fleck misled us on the seriousness of the injury. I think it would be wise to sit Martin Saturday, even if he is feeling 90%

All signs suggest Martin avoided a bad injury. I feel like people think the only injury possible to the knee is a ACL tear. There are other injuries, from really minor contusions to some sprains and more serious ligament damage. Just because Martin doesn’t play this week doesn’t mean Fleck misled us on the seriousness of the injury. I think it would be wise to sit Martin Saturday, even if he is feeling 90%

Well said, I really don't understand why some are having so much difficulty with this one. It is 100% possible that he was hurt but it wasn't season ending yet some are so sure it has to be a torn ACL. If his season was done Fleck would have said so, he very well may not play this weekend but that doesn't mean the coaches are lying about his status long term.

I get that coaches are deceptive with injury information at the college level and don't always tell the whole story but I can't think of a situation where Fleck has lied or mislead people in regards to a season ending injury. But if I am wrong on that I am sure someone will let me know :)

Yup, there are other injuries. Fleck is also choosing his words to make Maryland think he is playing on Saturday.

I don’t think he has a torn ACL. Just pointing out that coaches, especially at the college level, aren’t very transparent about injuries. And that’s ok. I choose to ignore whatever a coach or depth chart says until I see them them warming up.

Most sign releases, as do college players.

Well said, I really don't understand why some are having so much difficulty with this one. It is 100% possible that he was hurt but it wasn't season ending yet some are so sure it has to be a torn ACL. If his season was done Fleck would have said so, he very well may not play this weekend but that doesn't mean the coaches are lying about his status long term.

I get that coaches are deceptive with injury information at the college level and don't always tell the whole story but I can't think of a situation where Fleck has lied or mislead people in regards to a season ending injury. But if I am wrong on that I am sure someone will let me know :)

Did we disclose last year that SB4 was out for the season?

It’s fair for folks to speculate. We weren’t really forthcoming with Mo or Big Dan’s injuries this year. It’s fine, many teams don’t want to disclose this, depth charts are 100% worthless, it is what the college game is now. For that reason, fair to speculate.

Shell game. You make teams guess.

Didn’t Engel tear his ACL and was questionable for the next game a few years ago? To

Who would that be? Bookies or gamblers?

Fair enough, but people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the injury is season ending if he doesn't play this weekend.

Who would that be? Bookies or gamblers?

Yeah we get it, your sister’s goldfish had a gambling addiction, or something. Sorry to hear it.

No one cares about your childish vendetta against sports gambling.

Put the speculation to bed. Martin has a grade 2 MCL sprain; typically full recovery time is 3-6 weeks. Just stop with all the other nonsense inc. gambling addiction.

Put the speculation to bed. Martin has a grade 2 MCL sprain; typically full recovery time is 3-6 weeks. Just stop with all the other nonsense inc. gambling addiction.

Source?

Fair enough, but people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the injury is season ending if he doesn't play this weekend.

This +10000

He can miss a game and not be out for the season. I doubt Fleck would have said multiple times that they got "good news" if he had a torn ACL unless he hates Kamal and wanted him hurt

Just from what PJ said, I think he won't play.

Based on comments from the coaching staff, general recovery time for knee injuries, and having a bye after the Maryland game points to him likely missing this week and him being questionable heading into Penn State following the bye.

Based on comments from the coaching staff, general recovery time for knee injuries, and having a bye after the Maryland game points to him likely missing this week and him being questionable heading into Penn State following the bye.

Fleck said he would be a game time decision for Maryland. I know the amateur medical professionals in this thread don't want to believe him and have their own diagnosis but if he is in fact a game time decision for this week then it would seem highly unlikely that he would still be questionable a full 2 weeks later against Penn State.

To be clear - I won't be surprised if he does not play this weekend but based on what has been said to this point I will be surprised if he is not ready to go for Penn State after the bye week.

Top Bottom