Kamal Martin injury watch thread

The way he grabbed his knee as he was falling made me think it's his knee.
I'm guessing a partial tear of ACL.

I would be surprised if he's back this year. I doubt Fleck will say anything this week however.

Oliver (#14) seems to move pretty well and puts some hits on people, but the other two back ups do not look real strong yet.

We are two deep on the DL and at some DB spots, but LB is pretty thin.

This is not good at all - #55 looks sort of stiff, and I am not sure on Rush yet, maybe he is ready (#8)

Oliver (#14) seems to move pretty well and puts some hits on people, but the other two back ups do not look real strong yet.

This is not good at all - #55 looks sort of stiff, and I am not sure on Rush yet, maybe he is ready (#8)

Yeh, physically Oliver is the next most similar to Martin.
Sori-Marin needs some growing. Needs to get comfortable.

Rush got playing time early in the year. Seems promising but haven't seen him lately.

In The post game press conference, Fleck said it was a lower leg injury.

#55 looks like a Gopher starting LB from 1983

The schedule, some of the wins early, and the lack of injuries up to this point have all felt magical. Kamal to me is similar to what Blake was last year. Hoping for a sprain. He has a rare combination of size, speed, and the mental side seemed to really start clicking for him this year.

When this news eventually breaks someone please start a new thread with the news in the title!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a GTD per Fleck for Saturday. Not sure I buy it.

I’m skeptical of the “GTD” too, but that must mean it’s not a season ending knee injury. If we can get him back for PSU, it would be huge.

I love the job Fleck has been doing here but one thing that frustrates me is all the cloak and dagger misinformation about injuries. I also realize he isn't the only coach that does this and it might even be described as "commonplace" now - but it still bugs me. I have a need to worry about these things, or in this case, know if this is or is NOT an ACL. This is all about me.

We have seen several instances now where guys are referred to as "ready" and "okay" where they haven't played at all. Guys on the depth chart that aren't even dressed, etc. etc.

There is NO WAY a guy with an ACL can be a GTD so if it weren't for all the other misinformation, I would take this as a fantastic sign Martin's knee is ACL-tear-free and he would be back easily after the bye week for Penn State. But given all the fibbing on this subject, I literally don't know what to think until someone says there is no ligament tear, or I actually see him in uniform.

He's a GTD per Fleck for Saturday. Not sure I buy it.

Not sure what would really be gained by lying about his status. But regardless of whether he plays against Maryland, the fact that they are talking GTD now, makes me think he should be good to go by the Penn State game considering there is an extra week in there to rest and rehab whatever the injury is.

I am a bit concerned if he can't go. When he wasn't playing early in the season, that was when our D struggled the most. Some could be chalked up to rust and inexperience, but it could also be seen as him being the glue.

I love the job Fleck has been doing here but one thing that frustrates me is all the cloak and dagger misinformation about injuries. I also realize he isn't the only coach that does this and it might even be described as "commonplace" now - but it still bugs me. I have a need to worry about these things, or in this case, know if this is or is NOT an ACL. This is all about me.

We have seen several instances now where guys are referred to as "ready" and "okay" where they haven't played at all. Guys on the depth chart that aren't even dressed, etc. etc.

There is NO WAY a guy with an ACL can be a GTD so if it weren't for all the other misinformation, I would take this as a fantastic sign Martin's knee is ACL-tear-free and he would be back easily after the bye week for Penn State. But given all the fibbing on this subject, I literally don't know what to think until someone says there is no ligament tear, or I actually see him in uniform.

If it was an ACL and he was done for the year they would come out and say it. There is plenty of misinformation out there about injuries on a game by game basis but I don't think teams hide season ending injuries. What would be the point?

Not sure what would really be gained by lying about his status. But regardless of whether he plays against Maryland, the fact that they are talking GTD now, makes me think he should be good to go by the Penn State game considering there is an extra week in there to rest and rehab whatever the injury is.

PJ probably assumes that Martin In vs Martin Out changes the game plan for Maryland so he wants the terps to have to plan for both. Probably not as extreme as planning for a starting QB vs a back up QB etc but I get why PJ does it.

Fleck reiterated on KFAN with PA. Said Martin doesn’t need to practice to play.

fleck just said game time decision on the fan

I don't think there's any blatant lying with Fleck and injuries. When Dunlap, Coughlin, CAB and Williamson all went down against SDSU, he said they were all fine and that ended up being true. He told us Shannon would be back for Purdue and that was true. He told us that Ko Kieft didn't practice this week and Paulson was limited in practice this week and they not surprisingly didn't play.

Now PJ did say that Mo was good to go for Illinois which ended up not being the case. In the post game press conference he however later clarified that he really thought that at the time and something came up later in the week and wasn't trying to throw the media off. He told us Faalele was good going into Nebraska which ended up not being the case but i tend to believe it was the same situation, he thought he was good but then ended up not.

Now Fleck has simply omitted information from the media when they never asked. He knew Kamal wasn't going to play against SDSU and he knew Kamal and Mo weren't going to play against GSU and Terrell Smith wouldn't travel vs Rutgers. But in those situations, the media never knew about it and thus never asked him about it.

So while Fleck has omitted information from the media that he knew when they didn't have any idea, I don't believe he has blatantly lied to us either. He may have been wrong about saying a player was good to go but again, I believe he really thought they would be at the time when he said those things and wasn't simply lying to the media.

Top Bottom