MN vs ISU Closed Scrimmage

Fantastic rebounding numbers from our backcourt players

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was pretty surprised when I saw this result on Saturday. There are certainly things to be concerned about in the box score (and in Coach Pitino's comments where it sure sounds like they didn't execute down the stretch which allowed ISU to force overtime...we've seen way too many late game meltdowns) but overall getting a road win at a Big 12 school is a really good sign. I am pretty skeptical about this years team, so this result was really encouraging for me as I obviously want to be wrong.

The most encouraging comments from Pitino were about Michael Hurt. I've seen marginal players have pretty productive senior seasons before although, off the top of my head, I think they showed a little more than Hurt before their senior seasons. If the team can get 17 minutes a game from Michael with production similar to this game, that should give the team a big boost.

I'll reserve judgment on the freshmen and Alihan until they get a little time to find their sea legs.

We have freshman sure, but Tre Williams will be 20 this year. He's the same age as Gabe basically and he's extremely mature. I expect him to contribute right away. Ihnen and Freeman are going to require some patience. Greenlee I haven't seen enough, but I listed to Ryan James and Marcus Fullers podcast and they said he has a 44 in vertical and is extremely athletic. He may be able to give us spot minutes already too.

Top Bottom