WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it slightly disrespectful to Jordan Murphy and his significant contributions to the program that his #3, which will most certainly be in the rafters at some point, has already been given to Bryan Greenlee without even a year's moratorium? As Clay Matthews quipped when the Packers gave #52 to first round pick Rashan Gary right after Matthews signed with the Rams, "Body's not even cold yet."

Half our fans believe we’ll be better this year without Murph because he won’t be clogging up the lane and we will replace him with someone that can shoot. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of ‘respect’ for him already. I predict this perception will change quickly when we get annihilated on the boards.

Half our fans believe we’ll be better this year without Murph because he won’t be clogging up the lane and we will replace him with someone that can shoot. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of ‘respect’ for him already. I predict this perception will change quickly when we get annihilated on the boards.

I think Oturu will average a double-double and make up a good portion of the lost production.

No doubt we will badly miss his rebounding. I think rebounding is 1/3 effort, 1/3 athletic ability (strength, agility, quickness, leaping) and 1/3 “intuition” (just sensing/knowing where to go to be in the best position to get the rebound).

Some physically gifted guys just don’t seem to rebound well. They lack effort and/or intuition-most likely the intuition, as I think most college players give good effort. Others lack the physical gifting, but rebound at a high level. Remember Dusty Rychart? Amazing rebounder, but at about 6’7”, I’m not sure he could dunk. Murphy I believe had all three traits working for him, and that is not common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Half our fans"

BS. Stupid post.

I agree, handing out #3 was nonsensical

Murphy is a huge loss, especially on the boards. Having a good shooter replace him will help with spacing and give Oturu and others more room to operate. Both of those things can be true. No one thinks the loss of Murphy in and of itself will make us a better team.

Does anyone else find it slightly disrespectful to Jordan Murphy and his significant contributions to the program that his #3, which will most certainly be in the rafters at some point, has already been given to Bryan Greenlee without even a year's moratorium? As Clay Matthews quipped when the Packers gave #52 to first round pick Rashan Gary right after Matthews signed with the Rams, "Body's not even cold yet."

Back to your original post and point. Yes. Someone must have been sleeping when they gave away Jordan's number that quickly. Probably not meant to be a slight, but sure comes off that way.

I think you are being too sensitive about it. Some players really want a specific number and Murphy's number is not "retired" so I don't see a problem. So are we supposed to "pre-retire" numbers now?

Hey, we all loved Jordan and his time at the U. He has gotten a lot of respect from the school, team, coaches and the fans. He will get even more when his number is retired, until then it is game on.

Murphy is respected. The point is you can find different ways to win. We need to move forward, he graduated. Hats off to Murphy!

First competition 2019...Gophers plus 11 on the boards.

I think you are being too sensitive about it. Some players really want a specific number and Murphy's number is not "retired" so I don't see a problem. So are we supposed to "pre-retire" numbers now?

Hey, we all loved Jordan and his time at the U. He has gotten a lot of respect from the school, team, coaches and the fans. He will get even more when his number is retired, until then it is game on.

It's a nuance, but we do not retire numbers, we retire jerseys. No numbers are out of circulation nor will they be.

Go Gophers!!

Shooter chimes in:

The University of Minnesota has to vote on whether ex-Gophers double-double record-setting Jordan Murphy deserves to have his No. 3 hanging before long in the Williams Arena rafters. That vote should be expedited.

“That would mean everything to me,” Murphy said.

The 6-foot-7 Murphy, who was waived by the Timberwolves last week, has added interesting tattoos to both legs. They represent characters from some of his favorite movies, including “Scream,” “Friday the 13th,” “Halloween” and “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”

Murphy doesn’t have a shoe contract and wears a pair of assorted pastel-colored hightops on the court.

“I just like unique shoes,” he said.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/19/charley-walters-could-twins-make-deal-to-get-gerrit-cole/

Go Gophers!!

I don’t think it should be expedited. Let’s play a few games without him, appreciate the gap he left, and then proceed with the retirement.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

(Also I feel like the Murphy quote was presented out of context. I bet simply having the jersey hanging would mean everything, not having it done expeditiously, but it’s Shooter, so...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, there's some of those takes circling around Ethan Happ as well. Wisconsin will certainly be worse this year without him, but they'll likely have a more open offense.

Shouldn’t these questions be reserved for All-Americans or 1st round picks?

People get replaced, off of every college team, in various ways. We will all miss Murphy, but that doesn't mean we are going to get "annihilated on the boards." That doesn't show a lot of respect for our current team.

It's a nuance, but we do not retire numbers, we retire jerseys. No numbers are out of circulation nor will they be.

Go Gophers!!

I didn't know this, that is really interesting. It does feel weird that someone else already has 3. Did this conversation come up when Hoffarber wore Bobby Jackson's #24?

Its a jersey number. I agree Murphy's contribution should be solidly on display at some point but give it a little time, its hardly the most significant University business.

Not a big deal. As Bleed said, jerseys are retired, not numbers.

My thought would be, I hope the number (read: Murph's production) rubs off on Greenlee.

Greenlee is listed as #3 on the official roster, but was wearing #12 when I saw practice the other day and then at the scrimmage also wore #12 if I read the box score correctly.

I loved Murphy's game and have a lot of respect for what he did here. That being said, I don't think he was close to being good enough to have a discussion about retiring his jersey/number. He was first team All Big Ten (media only, coaches 2nd team) for his senior year. Didn't make first team all conference any other years. While he had a very nice career for us, I don't think that deserves consideration for this type of honor.

I loved Murphy's game and have a lot of respect for what he did here. That being said, I don't think he was close to being good enough to have a discussion about retiring his jersey/number. He was first team All Big Ten (media only, coaches 2nd team) for his senior year. Didn't make first team all conference any other years. While he had a very nice career for us, I don't think that deserves consideration for this type of honor.

I think the 2nd all time leading rebounder in conference history, all time team leader in rebrounds, and second all time for team in points scored (right?) is why we are going to retire his jersey. His accomplishments over 4 years rank among highest in team history.

I think the 2nd all time leading rebounder in conference history, all time team leader in rebrounds, and second all time for team in points scored (right?) is why we are going to retire his jersey. His accomplishments over 4 years rank among highest in team history.

Yep, and that's why I think he deserves a one-year break to honor that productivity and contribution to the program (if indeed Greenlee is wearing #3). I'm not sure why that's such a big ask for some people.

Strange take

Maybe that's the number given to a player at the U that is considered underrated coming out of HS, but they think will be a star:cool:

So we're not going to retire his jersey because some morons didn't vote for him for all big ten first team every year? The guy is the second all-time leading rebounder in the BIG TEN! Am i missing something here?

Willie Burton's #34 was not "rested" after his Gopher career was completed. Randy Carter arrived and wore it well for the next four years.

Willie Burton's #34 was not "rested" after his Gopher career was completed. Randy Carter arrived and wore it well for the next four years.

It wasn't the respectful thing to do to Willie either, given his importance to the resurrection of the program in the late 80s, no matter the caliber of player Randy Carter was (and he was a hell of a player).

To be fair, there's some of those takes circling around Ethan Happ as well. Wisconsin will certainly be worse this year without him, but they'll likely have a more open offense.

Badger fans are going to learn just how much they miss Happ just like the Gopher fans with Murphy.

So if Dawson Garcia wants to wear number 3 in college all of you are gonna say no!!!

Shouldn’t these questions be reserved for All-Americans or 1st round picks?

No. You think Joel Pryzbilla or Kris Humphries were better representatives of the U than Murphy? Wth does NBA potential have to do with career college production and being a good student and ambassador?

Top Bottom