How many B1G wins will the Gophers have this season?

How many B1G wins will the Gophers have this year?

• 12+

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • 10-11

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • 8-9

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • 7 or Less

Votes: 38 41.8%

• Total voters

I don’t think we have anyone that can score inside or rebound other than Oturu, so my guess is less than 7. If we win more than 10 this year and make the tournament, Pitino will deserve a nice extension.

Very different team. After Cleveland State, We go Oklahoma, @Butler, @Utah, Central Michigan, DePaul, Clemson. Were gonna learn alot early. Lot of ??? But so does Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, IU, Michigan and Nebraska. I'm gonna crank it up to elevan and a sixth place finish. Another year with Jester running the D, more shooters

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wow, I’m surprised by your optimism. Care to share what leads you to this prediction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More versatility, better spacing, better shooting and most importantly, better defense. After all these years they are going to have a identity.

More versatility, better spacing, better shooting and most importantly, better defense. After all these years they are going to have a identity.

Built,
I always like your insight. I'm not close to the program but follow when I can. You're a lot closer and I hope your right about 13. That would be special and increase trajectory for the future.
That being said, the versatility is something that stuck out to me also. They don't seem so one dimensional. More ball handlers and more movement.

Built,
I always like your insight. I'm not close to the program but follow when I can. You're a lot closer and I hope your right about 13. That would be special and increase trajectory for the future.
That being said, the versatility is something that stuck out to me also. They don't seem so one dimensional. More ball handlers and more movement.

I like built- he's a smart guy. But that feels like a set up post by builtbadgers. No one thinks that they will or should have 13 wins this season in the Big Ten. Late in the year, if the Gophers have 10 wins, Built gets to say that they should have had 13, so that he can once again say that Pitino underperformed as a coach.

I will be disappointed if we don't have thirteen or more Big Ten wins next season. This season, anything 10 or more is a big and pleasant surprise. 13 is possible, but it is in the 10 percent probability range based on what we currently know.

If we have 13 or more this season - built is poster of the year here on the GH in my opinion.

I think we’re going to get off to a rough start but the B1G season will be solid.

I like built- he's a smart guy. But that feels like a set up post by builtbadgers. No one thinks that they will or should have 13 wins this season in the Big Ten. Late in the year, if the Gophers have 10 wins, Built gets to say that they should have had 13, so that he can once again say that Pitino underperformed as a coach.

I will be disappointed if we don't have thirteen or more Big Ten wins next season. This season, anything 10 or more is a big and pleasant surprise. 13 is possible, but it is in the 10 percent probability range based on what we currently know.

If we have 13 or more this season - built is poster of the year here on the GH in my opinion.

Not true. Simply call me out for being wrong about 13. Hell yes i would be disappointed with 10, that would mean another non winning conference record. Why would i be happy about one winning conference record in 7 years, especially since i picked 13 wins. Damn, i would be hated on if i predicted 6 wins as a hater ! I simply state what i think or post facts. Yes, i have high standards for success. That applies to every team i support, every coach and every aspect of my life.

Looks like Pitino has listened to your stump speech...lol He talks about needing an identity!

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?90725-Video-Interviews-Gopher-Basketball-Media-Day&p=1814092&fbclid=IwAR3xCWrJoDvZHuHNmKxIvmDYsJ0QQ5A04rsRrtD5NvI8vjPVrVFXUrIkj2g#post1814092

The 9th clip, 3rd Pitino clip with the heading that talks about 4-5 shooters...

Last edited:

I got them at 10-11 and would not be surprised to see them at 12. I love Amir and Murph and fully respect their talent, but they also had limitations that hampered our offense and defense (Positioning mainly) too. This team is built well and will get better as our freshman get more time and maturity to create a lot of depth. Oturo will love all these shooters and we have the length and size to be a good pack line defensive team. We have less "high end" talent imo, but we have a group that really fits together well.

Bingo.

BADGERbuilt strikes again.

Voted for 7 or less. Too many uncertainties and the loss of Curry just adds to that uncertainty. Hopefully they are competitive and improve during the season as the new faces start to gel.

I'm going with 17-13 overall with an 8-2 record in nonconference and a 9-11 record in conference.

Given the strength of our nonconference schedule, 8 wins might be optimistic but, if we get fewer than that, we might get to 10 conference wins. After the top 5 or 6 conference teams, there appear to be a lot of question marks about the remaining teams.

If Pitino gets as many wins as some you think he will, he should get a 10 year extension.

If the shooters can really shoot, 15 wins. This team might have the best big/small player mix balance we have had in awhile. No more Coffey and Murphy but theoretically more shooters balance the loss of those two. Who the hell knows though what we will see with two somewhat seasoned transfers and the rest?

If Pitino gets as many wins as some you think he will, he should get a 10 year extension.

I support that if he can do 17-3, win the conference and get to the final 4. 13-7 will not get him a 10 year. Coyle is smarter than that. Those deals go to guys that have done really special things.

We have only one known very good 3 pt shooter in Gabe.

We have a few possible respectable 3pt shooters in: Willis, Demir as a stretch 4, Greenlee, Ihnen, and Carr.

We lost some serious terrible 3 pt shooters: McBrayer, Coffey, Murphy.

I am somewhat confident we will be an improved 3pt shooting team compared to last year.

But I will wait and see if we are even an average 3pt shooting team compared to the rest of the big ten.

There is sure a lot of confidence here, wow. I hope they can win 9-10 B10 games, but I am betting 6-7 B10 wins this year. Next year should be better, but RP will be on the hot seat with one winning season in the B10 in what, 7 or 8 years?

There is sure a lot of confidence here, wow. I hope they can win 9-10 B10 games, but I am betting 6-7 B10 wins this year. Next year should be better, but RP will be on the hot seat with one winning season in the B10 in what, 7 or 8 years?

Be careful, I've heard it suggested in here that objective statements if the coach's record amount to an attack on the coach.

I wanted to wait until I had as much information as possible to make a prediction and I have come back around to that this will be the end of the Pitino era as I think the Gophers will finish with 7 or fewer B1G wins. I am pretty shocked that 6 in 10 posters also have the Gophers with yet another losing record in year 7 given what I have perceived as a pretty favorable opinion of Pitino and his tenure on this board in recent months.

I keep going back to the fact that he was only 9-11 in conference play last year with Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy and added exactly zero top line talent to his team in the form of elite recruits or transfers. Marcus Carr profiles as solid, Payton Willis does not (but it appears he could be a nice surprise from early returns), and nobody else moves the needle. This was a team last year that lost at Rutgers, lost at a horribly undermanned Nebraska (in worse shape than the Gophers the year before), and needed a great effort from Jordan Murphy to squeak by Penn State at home. Yes there were some solid wins (at Wisconsin, Purdue, Purdue again in the Big Ten tournament) but not enough of them. This years team seems significantly less talented with major questions at the 4 postion as well as with depth at literally every position on the floor.

If you want to be optimistic, you point to big sophomore year jumps from Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kalscheur and the fact that the B1G looks really wide open behind Michigan State, Maryland, and Ohio State. Then you point to a potentially better offense with more of a true (allegedly?) point guard in Marcus Carr and better perimeter shooting at the 4 spot while losing the ineffecient long two's of Dupree McBrayer and the ineffective minutes of Isaiah Washington. Maybe Daniel or Gabe takes a leap to 2nd All B1G and Marcus Carr gives them top half of the B1G point guard play while the offense improves enough to negate what will be a big hole on the boards without Murphy?

Unfortunately, I go back to just a lack of faith in Pitino going in to year 7. Outside of a fantastic 8 game conference winning streak in his 4th year, his teams have been pretty consistently poor to mediocre. How about this for a stat: outside of his first season, Richard Pitino has had a conference losing streak of at least 4 games in every season. With a 40-70 conference record, I just can't bet on this being the season that things turn around especially with so many question marks on the roster. I don't want to get to deep in to recruiting until things are official, but if you can't land kids coming off your only NCAA tournament win, with brand new facilites, and a new contract in hand...when exactly can you do it?

I hope to be wrong, Pitino certainly seems like a nice guy, but he's fallen drastically short of even minimum expectations to date. I was much higher on his team going in to year 4 than the majority of posters and I feel like I am lower on his team going in to year 7 than the majority of posters.

Between 9 and 11, definitely a better shooting team, fun team to watch.

I wanted to wait until I had as much information as possible to make a prediction and I have come back around to that this will be the end of the Pitino era as I think the Gophers will finish with 7 or fewer B1G wins. I am pretty shocked that 6 in 10 posters also have the Gophers with yet another losing record in year 7 given what I have perceived as a pretty favorable opinion of Pitino and his tenure on this board in recent months.

I keep going back to the fact that he was only 9-11 in conference play last year with Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy and added exactly zero top line talent to his team in the form of elite recruits or transfers. Marcus Carr profiles as solid, Payton Willis does not (but it appears he could be a nice surprise from early returns), and nobody else moves the needle. This was a team last year that lost at Rutgers, lost at a horribly undermanned Nebraska (in worse shape than the Gophers the year before), and needed a great effort from Jordan Murphy to squeak by Penn State at home. Yes there were some solid wins (at Wisconsin, Purdue, Purdue again in the Big Ten tournament) but not enough of them. This years team seems significantly less talented with major questions at the 4 postion as well as with depth at literally every position on the floor.

If you want to be optimistic, you point to big sophomore year jumps from Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kalscheur and the fact that the B1G looks really wide open behind Michigan State, Maryland, and Ohio State. Then you point to a potentially better offense with more of a true (allegedly?) point guard in Marcus Carr and better perimeter shooting at the 4 spot while losing the ineffecient long two's of Dupree McBrayer and the ineffective minutes of Isaiah Washington. Maybe Daniel or Gabe takes a leap to 2nd All B1G and Marcus Carr gives them top half of the B1G point guard play while the offense improves enough to negate what will be a big hole on the boards without Murphy?

Unfortunately, I go back to just a lack of faith in Pitino going in to year 7. Outside of a fantastic 8 game conference winning streak in his 4th year, his teams have been pretty consistently poor to mediocre. How about this for a stat: outside of his first season, Richard Pitino has had a conference losing streak of at least 4 games in every season. With a 40-70 conference record, I just can't bet on this being the season that things turn around especially with so many question marks on the roster. I don't want to get to deep in to recruiting until things are official, but if you can't land kids coming off your only NCAA tournament win, with brand new facilites, and a new contract in hand...when exactly can you do it?

I hope to be wrong, Pitino certainly seems like a nice guy, but he's fallen drastically short of even minimum expectations to date. I was much higher on his team going in to year 4 than the majority of posters and I feel like I am lower on his team going in to year 7 than the majority of posters.

Man thats some cynical stuff. Gophers will probably be a bit down this year but if its an exceptional 3-pt shooting team and they dont suffer any more critical injuries, they could surprise.

Voted for 7 or less. Too many uncertainties and the loss of Curry just adds to that uncertainty. Hopefully they are competitive and improve during the season as the new faces start to gel.

Yep. I didn't see anything tonight that made me feel any differently.

Let's try looking at it this way...

Last year our three guards were Kalscheur, Coffey, and McBrayer. I will argue that our three guards- Kalscheur, Carr and Willis- will be better than last year's three, despite the fact that Coffey was a great player.

Our front court was Murphy and Oturu. Oturu will be improved (maybe a lot improved) and Demir will be nowhere near as good as Murphy. So last year's front court was better.

Depth- last year we really didn't have anyone Pitino trusted. I think our bench will be much better.

Defense- I think this will overall be a better defensive team than last year- the big question mark is the boards.

I could see where this team - depending on the development of the young guys- Williams, Ihnen and Greenlee could end up doing as well as last year. I don't think that we have to assume that we are in for a bad year here. What if better shooting replaces that brute force of Murphy and athleticism of Coffey?

Top Bottom