Winfield makes PFF Mid-Season All-American team.

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Benjamin St-Juste earned Honorable Mention.

SAFETY

First-Team S: Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota

Winfield is powering a Gopher secondary that is far exceeding expectations this year as he’s put up dominant numbers wherever he lines up. In a true testament to his all-around ability, Winfield has recorded six QB pressures, 11 total defensive stops and has elite grades in coverage as the primary coverage defender. In fact, he’s allowed just six catches his way to go to just 14 yards after the catch and has intercepted two balls of his own. He’s putting up plus-numbers across the board and is one of the nation’s elite at the position.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-midseason-all-american-team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's amazing. Simply amazing. To think we almost lost him because of... ugh. Don't even want to say it. Don't want to think about it.

Hey: he's still a redshirt sophomore, folks! Unless the NFL calls, we get to watch him for a good long time to come.

Whats weird is how quietly he has done this. Absolute stud

He's amazing. Simply amazing. To think we almost lost him because of... ugh. Don't even want to say it. Don't want to think about it.

Hey: he's still a redshirt sophomore, folks! Unless the NFL calls, we get to watch him for a good long time to come.

I suppose he could go pro after this year. Will be interesting to see what he decides to do. He seems to like Fleck, but the injury bug may entice him to go...

I suppose he could go pro after this year. Will be interesting to see what he decides to do. He seems to like Fleck, but the injury bug may entice him to go...

Gut tells me he stays another year, gets his degree, and Jim Thorpe award like his father.

Gut tells me he stays another year, gets his degree, and Jim Thorpe award like his father.

This will be his 4th year so he should graduate this year. I'm not expecting him to come back but we'll see. Would be a massive boost to our D, otherwise we are only returning 4 starters on D.

This will be his 4th year so he should graduate this year. I'm not expecting him to come back but we'll see. Would be a massive boost to our D, otherwise we are only returning 4 starters on D.

That's correct, my bad.Late first round/early second possibility if he continues this level of performance. Would look great in Purple.

That's correct, my bad.Late first round/early second possibility if he continues this level of performance. Would look great in Purple.

He is a great player but I think it is unlikely he will be picked before the 3rd round mostly due to his size. NFL teams for some stupid reason are all about finding players that fit their prototypes and this commonly results in players like Winfield falling in the draft.

He is a great player but I think it is unlikely he will be picked before the 3rd round mostly due to his size. NFL teams for some stupid reason are all about finding players that fit their prototypes and this commonly results in players like Winfield falling in the draft.

I don't think his size will hold him back. Literally exact same size as WVU's Karl Joseph, both 5-10, 205, who went 14th overall to the Raiders in 2016. Jonathan Abram was a first rounder safety last year measured 5-11, 205. Maryland's Darnell Savage measured 5-11, 198 at went 21st overall

I think he is just big enough to still be a high round pick when you couple that with his elite closing speed and production. IMO I think he has a good chance to run in the 4.3's at the combine.

While normally true, he's similar in stature to his father and NFL teams know how good SR. was. So I don't think that will be as much of an impediment here, especially for a strong safety.

I don't think his size will hold him back. Literally exact same size as WVU's Karl Joseph, both 5-10, 205, who went 14th overall to the Raiders in 2016. Jonathan Abram was a first rounder safety last year measured 5-11, 205. Maryland's Darnell Savage measured 5-11, 198 at went 21st overall

I think he is just big enough to still be a high round pick when you couple that with his elite closing speed and production. IMO I think he has a good chance to run in the 4.3's at the combine.

Aint no way in hell he is 5-10, closer to 5-8. Other posters correct in how much he will be overlooked by the NFL. I wonder if we are going to see him return punts before the year is through?

If he graduates this year he will be off to the NFL. Staying around is not going to make him taller.

5th - 6th round is my guess for Antoine.

Martin’s name is being thrown around as likely 1st Gopher off the board, but I don’t think anyone really knows at this point. Unlike Winfield, Martin passes the eye test.

I’m thinking 3rd - 4th round for Tyler. 5th - 6th round for Coughlin.

Top Bottom