Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Arizona State

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

mep3017

Reaction score
'Cause it's never too early to speculate, IF, and I know it's the biggest of IFs, the Gophers managed somehow managed to make it to the Rose Bowl, I believe it would be against one of three teams:
Oregon, Utah, Arizona State.

Which of these three do you think we would give us the best game?

The Fiesta bowl is the closest we are getting to the Rose Bowl this year!

It could be Utah and then it would be on tape delay on Oprah's channel...

Herm and ASU! The matching unis!

Plus Herm is sort of a mature version of Fleck.

Does anyone know the Rose Bowl rules for selecting a team or have a link?

Oregon. Helmet school. Honestly.....the Rose Bowl is a big deal and if not a trip to the CFP......the Rose Bowl is the goal. However......I still feel like a matchup against a top SEC team would be far more intriguing.

well...I've always been an old-school traditionalist who thinks even the Arizona schools are newcomers to that league (lol).

We've played Oregon in a couple bowls already, and Utah....a buddy of mine has his sons playing for the Utes now. So....

I'm happy just letting the chips fall where they may

University of Washington, main because I live in Seattle and it would be fun to wear my Gopher gear if we won.

University of Washington, main because I live in Seattle and it would be fun to wear my Gopher gear if we won.

I'd prefer not to play Washington. They are one of my other two (distant) rooting interests along with, go figure, Georgia Tech who we played in last year's bowl game.

i really hope this is a thread on sunday.

I’d also like Washington. My son’s a Husky and it would be fun to go together decked out in our respective colors.

Just looked at the all time records and The U is 0-1 against ASU. This would give an opportunity to even the series. One more team not holding an advantage.

I would just prefer to play a team who is clearly at the top of their conference, now a 5-way tie team that gets in off tie-breaker.
A pedigree school would be cool as well, but USC is unlikely at this point.

Washington would be a grudge match. They lead our Rose Bowl series 1-0.

As an aside my avatar is the original Rose Bowl Game insert for that game in the Minneapolis Star. One of my prize pieces of memorabilia.

Last edited:

Oregon would be fun and my pick to play. Kind of a glamour opponent, and the rubber match from a couple great Sun Bowls of the past.

My understanding is the Rose Bowl is free to take a non-champion team from the same conference in years that conference has a CFP selectee. So job 1 is defeating Wisconsin. And at least a couple others to get to Indianapolis. It would be very helpful to defeat PSU or play a close game to mitigate the possibility of the Rose Bowl selecting PSU as the second best team in the conference even if MN were conference runner up...

Looks like it’s Oregon’s year but ultimately pretty sure comes down to whomever wins the pac 12 championship. Could be Utah. I’d be happy with either but Sweatshop U is a bigger national brand right now.

'Cause it's never too early to speculate, IF, and I know it's the biggest of IFs, the Gophers managed somehow managed to make it to the Rose Bowl, I believe it would be against one of three teams:
Oregon, Utah, Arizona State.

Which of these three do you think we would give us the best game?
I started seeing Roses when we defeated Ohio State on the road back in the Mason days. Then we dumped 3 out of our last 5 or something like that and it faded pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Honestly, the last Rose Bowl that was truly the Rose Bowl was when Ryan Leaf and Wazzou, took on Charles Woodson and Brian Griese and Michigan in 97. Once the BCS and now the CFP, the Rise Bowl has lost it's luster, I'd prefer it to other NY6 games, but it's no longer the reward for winning the Big Ten.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I picked Other because, growing up in the '70s, I always figured we would be playing USC if we ever got to the Rose Bowl. It was a thrill to watch the Gophers play SC at the Bank in 2010.

Honestly, the last Rose Bowl that was truly the Rose Bowl was when Ryan Leaf and Wazzou, took on Charles Woodson and Brian Griese and Michigan in 97. Once the BCS and now the CFP, the Rise Bowl has lost it's luster, I'd prefer it to other NY6 games, but it's no longer the reward for winning the Big Ten.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mods, can we please ban him?! :cool:

Seriously though, come on...a UW or OSU fan can say that, but it's still the f'n Rose Bowl for us!

Beat Maryland.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom