Memorial Stadium

Sports_Realist and WAGopher pretty much summed up Memorial Stadium's game experience issues and the associated renovation problems. I wish they'd given renovation a shot; but the money wasn't likely to be there and we simply design stadiums and renovation better today than we did in the 80's. A renovation in the 80's would likely led to another in the 90's, the 00's etc.

One nice thing about the distance between the seating and the field, is that post game you could walk down to the field level and walk out toward the west end zone. I can still remember that walk out with the old school scoreboard blazing a 35-31 Gopher victory over the Buckeyes. Still one of my all-time favorite Gopher games in any sport.

Thanks Ignatius for sharing the video. I too was at that game. It was my senior year at Minnesota (and last year of Memorial Stadium). If I remember correctly, the student section was not in the endzone. Our seats were around the 40 yard line(ish)? All of the fun shenanigans we did back then, like smuggle in a wine flask full of wine or booze. Then buy a Coke and mix your own up in the stadium. Also, we would always grab one of the cuter (and lighter) girls in our section and start passing her up over our heads all the way to the top of the stadium, with people yelling "throw her over, throw her over". Nobody ever got thrown out of the game, it was just good clean fun. Does anybody else remember those simpler times?

I remember going to a few games back in the late 1970's. I thought the stadium was awesome with all the brick. Saw the gophers play Michigan when Anthony Carter was playing for them. Needless to say, he had a pretty good game. Its too bad they didn't at least try to renovate it. A lot of history there.

The student section was, I believe, a student and staff section and yes it was near mid-field on the north side. At least that's where it was a couple of years before. By '81 we had regular season tickets on the south side.

One thing about Memorial Stadium: This was a November game and fans were dressed in normal clothes; not the triple layers of rain and cold gear required for even October games at TCF Bank :D.

Cigar smoke still brings me back to Memorial Stadium. Jules Perlt's voice was fantastic but todays voice is good too. We are good to go and if you want to see a Memorial era dump right in town go to UST's Stadium. That captures the dump feel just right, it is tiny but it is similar.

Yes to the cigar smell. My dad added to that for sure. Our seats were on the 40 yard line, 7th row. I can still smell the hot chocolate smell coming up from the cave like concession stand bellow us. I grew up there. From 5 years old on to the end of it.. Used to sneak in and play catch late nights in high school. The tunnels to Williams arena were always open. So many great memories despite the losses.

The student section was, I believe, a student and staff section and yes it was near mid-field on the north side. At least that's where it was a couple of years before. By '81 we had regular season tickets on the south side.

One thing about Memorial Stadium: This was a November game and fans were dressed in normal clothes; not the triple layers of rain and cold gear required for even October games at TCF Bank :D.

It's so funny to watch old footage from football games - lots of people dressed in plaid shirts and normal sweatshirts. There was not nearly the fan gear worn at games back then, like there is now. Now it's a sea of maroon and gold.

1981 versus Michigan. Jules doing his best every time he had to announce Ali Haji-Sheikh, which was probably a dozen times with the extra points, FGs and kick offs. Anthony Carter was on that Mich team. They had like a 6'9 TE too, who looked like a giant to me out there.

Most vivid memory was when the game was over and we were waiting to exit our row. A pretty drunk guy a few rows up missed a step and proceeded to sort of cart-wheel down the stairs right past us. He veered off the steps a couple rows down, tripped on the bench seats, and landed really, really hard.

Regarding people not being dressed in multiple layers and such for the 1981 Ohio State game, it wasn’t because of simpler times or people toughing it out. They didn’t need to bundle up. The game started at 1:00 PM and the high temp in the Twin Cities that day was 65.

I was a VERY poor college student, but splurged on student season tickets one year, can't remember but it was either 1977 or 78. I honestly don't remember a thing about bathrooms, concessions, etc., as a naive kid it seemed like a big time sports atmosphere to me. Students got great seats, we were around the 30 yard line, maybe 20 rows up. My main memories are body passing girls up to the top, C. Peter McGrath passing buckets to collect for a legal defense fund against the basketball team NCAA sanctions, the PA calling out completions as "Dungy to Ko-o-o-o-o-llas!!", the ease of smuggling alcohol past the students manning the gates (once watched a kid set up a 1/4 barrel keg a few rows above me). Also remember cutting through the stadium & walking across the artificial turf as a shortcut on class days.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Thanks to Ignatius for the reminder of that OSU game. I, too, was in the student section. There were no lights at Memorial and I think the game was right after the change back to standard time and with all the passing, the game was running long. I remember leaving the stadium as the sun was setting reveling in Carroll's last TD catch right in front of us and Art Schlichter having one last shot and losing the ball (I think on downs, but I would have blown about a .15 at the time so it's a bit foggy) and going back to the sidelines, slamming his helmet down, and proceeding to kick it.

I attended a lot of games at Memorial and always thought it could have been renovated, but I fear it would have been a nickel-and-dime operation which, like the Metrodome, would have adhered to the Minnescandihoovian definition of luxury (Hey! We've got running water here! Both hot and cold! Don't have this back on the home place.). The Dome was absolutely painful. For all its faults, the gameday experience at Memorial was pretty good, although I have to admit I spent most halftimes at Stub and Herb's.

I saw the Gophers play USC with O.J.Simpson. The grass was 7 inches tall - the backs all had lowcut shoes but you couldn’t see them. Warmth excuse, only had 1 lawnmower and it was broke. O.J. Had over 200 yards by halftime . Min.. forgot long grass will also slow down the defense. Type of stadium that we built a fire in the parking lot at halftime because it was so cold.

I thought the fire was in the tunnel inside the horseshoe, next to the Jackalope holding a Leinenkugel.

I was a VERY poor college student, but splurged on student season tickets one year, can't remember but it was either 1977 or 78. I honestly don't remember a thing about bathrooms, concessions, etc., as a naive kid it seemed like a big time sports atmosphere to me. Students got great seats, we were around the 30 yard line, maybe 20 rows up. My main memories are body passing girls up to the top, C. Peter McGrath passing buckets to collect for a legal defense fund against the basketball team NCAA sanctions, the PA calling out completions as "Dungy to Ko-o-o-o-o-llas!!", the ease of smuggling alcohol past the students manning the gates (once watched a kid set up a 1/4 barrel keg a few rows above me). Also remember cutting through the stadium & walking across the artificial turf as a shortcut on class days.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

A guy named Wally would select the girl, and some guy named Tim would grab the girl and up she would go.

I saw my 1st game with my father in 1962. I can still see the beautiful field with the grass alternating between light and dark green every 5 yards. I can still see the prop planes slowly flying over head pulling some sort of advertising banner. I can still hear Jules Pearlt's voice and quirky announcements. I can still see the people lined up along University Ave. to watch the band march by, and then double-timing onto the field through the tunnel. Old --yes. In need of repairs--yes. Bench seating a distance from the field--yes. BUT, 6 national championships, 2 Rose Bowl teams, 10 Big Ten championships, 11 Little Brown Jug victories, 16 Slab of Bacon/ P.B's Axe victories, 17 Floyd of Rosedale victories. Nagurski, Smith, Grant, Nomellini, Tonnemaker, Giel, Stephens, Eller, Bell, Dungy, Crisler, Bierman, Warmath. IMHO, it really doesn't get much better than that.

Attachments

• 235e0c5b47946b66ed1ec34b4748dc19.jpg
    235e0c5b47946b66ed1ec34b4748dc19.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 41

I saw my 1st game with my father in 1962. I can still see the beautiful field with the grass alternating between light and dark green every 5 yards. I can still see the prop planes slowly flying over head pulling some sort of advertising banner. I can still hear Jules Pearlt's voice and quirky announcements. I can still see the people lined up along University Ave. to watch the band march by, and then double-timing onto the field through the tunnel. Old --yes. In need of repairs--yes. Bench seating a distance from the field--yes. BUT, 6 national championships, 2 Rose Bowl teams, 10 Big Ten championships, 11 Little Brown Jug victories, 16 Slab of Bacon/ P.B's Axe victories, 17 Floyd of Rosedale victories. Nagurski, Smith, Grant, Nomellini, Tonnemaker, Giel, Stephens, Eller, Bell, Dungy, Crisler, Bierman, Warmath. IMHO, it really doesn't get much better than that.

True enough Tully55, true enough! Should be statues for at least one of them! I am proud as hell for each National Championship and all those studs!

Best football memories:
Yes, OJ beat us but the Gophers had a lead on a touchdown on a kickoff return. No idea of the players but the Gopher returner threw a lateral across the field and another Gopher caught and went down the sidelines for the TD. We went nuts.

Ed Duren who was a rather hefty nose guard caught a tipped pass when Iowa was going in for a touchdown close to our goal line and went the length of the field for a touchdown. Couldn't believe Duren never got tackled.

Sandy Stephens rolling out and bulling his way downfield and Bobby Bell running down backs from behind.

A Wisconsin game where the main pasttime was pelting the Badger cheerleaders and fans with snowballs.

Best non-football memories:

Playing handball in the courts under the stands. They were hot, humid, and I'm quite sure the pipes along the ceilings of the hallway were wrapped in asbestos.

College of Liberal Arts graduation in 1968. As we marched in you could see the storm coming to the west. Not sure exactly who, but the ceremony just seemed to get started and someone at the mike went, "I pronounce you all graduated!" We cheered and headed out of there but not before the rainstorm hit.

I saw OJ while sitting in the student, staff section eating oranges injected with vodka. The crowds seem much more uninhibited and rules were more lax then now. But it was the 60s.
My wife to be lived in the small apartment building next to the stadium.

Best football memories:
Yes, OJ beat us but the Gophers had a lead on a touchdown on a kickoff return. No idea of the players but the Gopher returner threw a lateral across the field and another Gopher caught and went down the sidelines for the TD. We went nuts.

Ed Duren who was a rather hefty nose guard caught a tipped pass when Iowa was going in for a touchdown close to our goal line and went the length of the field for a touchdown. Couldn't believe Duren never got tackled.

Sandy Stephens rolling out and bulling his way downfield and Bobby Bell running down backs from behind.

A Wisconsin game where the main pasttime was pelting the Badger cheerleaders and fans with snowballs.

Best non-football memories:

Playing handball in the courts under the stands. They were hot, humid, and I'm quite sure the pipes along the ceilings of the hallway were wrapped in asbestos.

College of Liberal Arts graduation in 1968. As we marched in you could see the storm coming to the west. Not sure exactly who, but the ceremony just seemed to get started and someone at the mike went, "I pronounce you all graduated!" We cheered and headed out of there but not before the rainstorm hit.
The highlighted should be mandatory now.

SKOL LIQUOR--Dial Raw-beef. Not too many of you would remember that.

I started going to Gopher football games in the early 60's so I will always have fond memories of the stadium. The band would break into a small group of horns and move around to different parts of the stadium and serenade the fans. The students would toss the football around for awhile before giving it back after extra points. The best part though they didn't blast music at 120 decibels after every timeout. (and I like music!)

As others have said, it was bench seating. limited leg room. no amenities. but, back then, most stadiums were somewhat similar, so it's not like we were comparing Memorial to US Bank Stadium. a place like US Bank back in the 60's would have seemed like science-fiction. I also went to a couple of games at Camp Randall in High School, and the WI stadium was similar to Memorial in a lot of respects.

As a younger kid, just being at a big-time college football game was enough of a treat that you really didn't mind the surroundings. 1st game at Memorial was the OJ Simpson game in 1968. Went there three times in High School on Band Day, when High School bands got in cheap, sat in the end zone, and played along with the marching band at halftime. Later on, when I was in college (at Augsburg), I made it over to a few Gopher games. I saw the Gophers beat Warren Moon and the U of Washington. Saw some other games like Ohio U and teams of that ilk, which did not leave a lot of impressions on me.

Even with the lack of amenities, going to Memorial still felt more like a college football game then it did at the Metrodome. AT the Dome, you were always aware that the Gophers were tenants - it was not THEIR stadium.

You were probably closer to Memorial stadium than where Augsburg played football back then.

My last game at Memorial was when the Gophers played Northwestern for Homecoming. It's been so long but I believe they won and a WR by the name of Cooper had a TD. I went with a friend who's grandfather won a national championship or two told us you always have to wear a maroon and gold hat to every football game. In fact I still always wear one to every game.

I've never been to a game at Memorial Stadium, but I do have a piece of the the bleachers. I have a slab of wooded blue bleacher. It's dark blue but looks like it was painted light blue earlier. I can't prove it's from Memorial Stadium, but the person who gave it to me said it was.

Here is an online exhibit from the U of M library about Memorial Stadium. There is plenty to see, but I think the collection of programs is the best of all. That's in the section marked "Gridiron".

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/exhibits/show/gridiron/programs

You're such a fountain of information, here and elsewhere :).

I never attended a game at Memorial. We had season tix for a time in the Dome in the Holtz-Guety years. I kind of think of Memorial as I do Met Center. People like to wax nostalgic but having to suffer a few years with the Gophers in the dome, and not having an NHL team, resulted in much nicer facilities for the Twin Cities.

Anybody remember this: "Skol Liquors - Dial RAW BEEF"

If you go to the library in the Architecture building, they have the plans for putting a dome over Memorial Stadium.

Here is an online exhibit from the U of M library about Memorial Stadium. There is plenty to see, but I think the collection of programs is the best of all. That's in the section marked "Gridiron".

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/exhibits/show/gridiron/programs

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/items/show/169

I like this 1957 letter "Morrill Names Stadium Study Committee" to study "Minnesota's stadium problem".

Two proposed courses of action:

1. To remodel or expand the current stadium
2. To purchase land away from the present campus site and construct a new stadium

One of the questions the committee was asked to address was"

3. The effect of possible changes in N.C.A.A. and Western Conference television policy on attendance at games

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/items/show/166

And this response from the committee recommending a new stadium be included in the Universities long range planning. The committee anticipated a need for more desirable seating capacity because of the greatly expanded student body and staff and increased demand from alumni and the general public.

Last edited:

Top Bottom