This Week #20; Next Week...

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Some of the teams immediately in front of the Gophers have tough games this week:

#12 Oregon at #25 Washington

#19 SMU host always-scrappy Temple

#18 Baylor travels to Oklahoma State

#17 Arizona State visits #13 Utah

#18 Michigan goes to Happy Valley to take on #7 Penn State

------------

Hmmmmmm...

Some of the teams immediately in front of the Gophers have tough games this week:

#12 Oregon at #25 Washington

#19 SMU host always-scrappy Temple

#18 Baylor travels to Oklahoma State

#17 Arizona State visits #13 Utah

#18 Michigan goes to Happy Valley to take on #7 Penn State

------------

Hmmmmmm...

Washington probably jumps us if they upset Oregon, but I could easily see 19-16 all lose this week. Likely we slide up into the 16-18 range if we take care of business.

Washington probably jumps us if they upset Oregon, but I could easily see 19-16 all lose this week. Likely we slide up into the 16-18 range if we take care of business.

I don't know. Washington is already a two loss team. And they'd have to jump five spots to top us. I'd be surprised if they jumped us.

SMU is for real this year, and I'm happy. It has been too long since the NCAA gave them the death penalty, that it took for them to recover.

Baylor is also for real.

We might move to 18-19.
Maybe up a spot the week after.

Go 8-0 and beat Penn St and we get top 10-15.

I wouldn't move the Gophers up for beating Rutgers. Staying at #20 seems fair until we beat someone good.

All our tough games are ahead of us. Our boys have mostly lived up to expectations, but they haven't beaten any good teams yet.

We might move to 18-19.
Maybe up a spot the week after.

Go 8-0 and beat Penn St and we get top 10-15.

Penn state game comes after a bye.
If the gophers are 8-0 there is almost 0 chance they aren’t already top 15 going into that game.
In 3 weeks an 8-0 record from a power 5 team will look ridiculously good.

If the team is 9-0, it is top 10 in Iowa city.

I wouldn't move the Gophers up for beating Rutgers. Staying at #20 seems fair until we beat someone good.

All our tough games are ahead of us. Our boys have mostly lived up to expectations, but they haven't beaten any good teams yet.

Maybe. But somebody has to be ranked high. And people are just going to move up the gophers for being unbeaten.

Honestly, gophers probably move up a spot this week because some voters who had them ranked 25 last week move them up to match the total poll this week.

It's very possible we don't move, and that is fair.

I really think we should be ranked, but where is not at all clear considering the resume.

Remember two weeks ago when some on the board said the gophers couldn’t possibly be ranked until after the Penn State game?

It's all about style points this week. Win big and 15th is possible. Win small and stay around 20th. Lose and fall out of the rankings.

It's all about style points this week. Win big and 15th is possible. Win small and stay around 20th. Lose and fall out of the rankings.

I think 15 would take some other teams shuffling around / falling on their face on their own too.... even if we won big.

If they lose, they should never be ranked again this season

Even if the team went 12-1, a loss to Rutgers should produce an NCAA ban

First the Gophers have to win
second if they want respect and as this thread is about move up they will need to demonstrate a large point differential nothing less than a huge blow out and they remain at the 20 mark

if they do blow them out and use 2nd stringers to dd it then they will move up but not much as Rutgers is not as good as the so called weak non conference we had

The only poll that counts is the last one after the title game is over.

If all the teams that are underdogs lose and no one jumps us then the gophers should be ranked #17.

#17ASU and #13 Utah play so we jump the loser
#16 Michigan is a dog against Penn State
#18 Baylor is an underdog at Oklahoma State

So that's 3 teams that are suppose to lose, one of them being guaranteed.

You also have 3 other close games where the spread is within 7

#14 Boise at BYU, only favored by about 7
#19 SMU vs Temple, only favored by about 7
#12 Oregon vs #25 Washington, only favored by about 4.

So it's likely the gophers move up 3 spots but possible they move up 6 spots.

Last edited:

Except it wouldn't be the Gophers being moved up so much as it would be the teams above them moving down. Those teams mentioned aren't going to stay in the same position after a loss.

If all the teams that are underdogs lose and no one jumps us then the gophers should be ranked #17.

A#17 SU and #13 Utah play so we jump the loser
#16 Michigan is a dog against Penn State
#18 Baylor is an underdog at Oklahoma State

So that's 3 teams that are suppose to lose, one of them being guaranteed.

You also have 3 other close games where the spread is within 7

#14 Boise at BYU, only favored by about 7
#19 SMU vs Temple, only favored by about 7
#12 Oregon vs #25 Washington, only favored by about 4.

So it's likely the gophers move up 3 spots but possible they move up 6 spots.

die hard gopher is a guy who gets it!

Oregon, Arizona State and Michigan all have 1 loss already; if they go to two losses I doubt they'd stay in front of a 7-0 Minnesota team (assuming we take care of business against Rutgers).

die hard gopher is a guy who gets it!

Oregon, Arizona State and Michigan all have 1 loss already; if they go to two losses I doubt they'd stay in front of a 7-0 Minnesota team (assuming we take care of business against Rutgers).

Yeah, I do worry that Washington would jump us if they win. Worst case they would drop Oregon but still have them ahead of us and put Washington right ahead of us. That would be pretty unlikely though. Definitely hoping Oregon loses.

Yeah, I do worry that Washington would jump us if they win. Worst case they would drop Oregon but still have them ahead of us and put Washington right ahead of us. That would be pretty unlikely though. Definitely hoping Oregon loses.

I think Washington already has 2 losses, so I doubt they'd move them up 5+ and put them ahead of us... but you never know.

I think Washington already has 2 losses, so I doubt they'd move them up 5+ and put them ahead of us... but you never know.

Yeah, I didn't think a 4-1 Cinci with a 48-0 loss to OSU would jump us after beating #18 UCF but they did two weeks ago.

The only advantage to poll rankings is with recruiting. Otherwise it is rather meaningless. I don‘t imagine that PJ is losing any sleep over being ranked 15th. or 20th.

The only advantage to poll rankings is with recruiting. Otherwise it is rather meaningless. I don‘t imagine that PJ is losing any sleep over being ranked 15th. or 20th.

I mean, in the grand scheme of life winning the National championship or Super Bowl is meaningless. Everybody will eventually go on with their lives. But it sure is a ton of fun when it happens and I would milk every second out of the experience. Similarly, when the gophers are ranked it is a ton of fun when it happens and I am going to milk every bit out it and want to see them ranked as high as possible.

And rankings help with recruiting, they help with ticket sales and donations, they help in getting local and national media buzz. In short, rankings enhance the value of the program and do matter. You can make the case they are meaningless but if you do then you can also make the case that everything that happens in sports including championships meaningless.

Let’s win first please. This can be discussed Saturday night ad nauseam if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All those lose and we slide to 22 lol. Admit it. It could happen.

Let’s win first please. This can be discussed Saturday night ad nauseam if necessary.

No we can’t. Because then you’ll say wait until after the Maryland game?

Not just the teams ahead of you to watch in the polls. Some of these one loss and two loss teams will lose and voters will add undefeated Gophers, rank them higher.

Still receiving votes are:
26. Tulane (they play 32. Memphis)...Gophs could pick up votes one way or the other.
27. Iowa State plays TxTech...if they drop to 4-3, you gotta think some of those top 25 ballots go to MN.
28. Temple vs SMU
29 Wake Forest just a slight fave vs FSU
31 UVA slight fave vs Duke
33 Gamecocks dogs to Florida
34 USC is 3-3 and still getting top 25 votes? play AZ
35 A&M is 3-3 and still getting top 25 votes? play Ole Miss
36 SDSU is 5-1, plays SJSU
37 LaTech is underdog to Southern Miss

No kidding. This board is not singularly focused on the Rutgers game and it could cost us dearly.

Top Bottom