This Week #20; Next Week...

I think this is a situation where we could win and if it isn’t an impressive win we drop in the rankings.

I think this is a situation where we could win and if it isn’t an impressive win we drop in the rankings.

If the game is less than 3 scores we will catch a lot of flack for it and rightfully so. 17 points or more though and we should move up due to general attrition.

we need SDSU to beat #1 NDSU on 10/26.

we need GaSouthern to beat #24 App State on 10/31.

we need Fresno to get in the MWC title game and knock off a likely top 10 Boise State.

Not a single person voting for us is doing so because of our non-Big Ten wins. I highly doubt that is going to change the rest of the season, either. Maybe if Fresno looks amazing, but we barely escaped so I’m not sure how many votes that is worth.

IMO we would only drop if it is the 2016 Rutgers game over again or a nail biter like the 3 non con games where we pull it out at the final seconds.

I think as long as we win somewhat comfortably and are in control most of the game even if it's not a complete 41-0 type blowout I think we stay put/move up by default of other teams losing. We might drop if it's a 31-28 nail biter but if it's something like a 28-14 game or more then we should be fine.

LOL beating Rutgers will impress no one.

It's not about who we beat, it's about everybody around us losing. Thats usually how top 25 polls work. Just hold serve and let the teams in front make mistakes and we move up by default.

It's not about who we beat, it's about everybody around us losing. Thats usually how top 25 polls work. Just hold serve and let the teams in front make mistakes and we move up by default.

If that were the case we would be higher than 20. How many unbeaten teams are left? 9? At worst we would be 9th.

we need SDSU to beat #1 NDSU on 10/26.

we need GaSouthern to beat #24 App State on 10/31.

we need Fresno to get in the MWC title game and knock off a likely top 10 Boise State.

Fresno hasn't been looking great. Air Force handled them fairly easy holding them scoreless in the second half.

If that were the case we would be higher than 20. How many unbeaten teams are left? 9? At worst we would be 9th.

Thats because the teams that have lost weren't "around us," they were ranked much higher than we were to begin with.

I'm talking about the teams right in front of us or around us. SMU is only one spot ahead, Baylor is only two spots ahead, ASU is only 3 spots ahead of us and Michigan is only 4 spots ahead of us. Those teams would drop by more than just 2-4 spots if they lost and the gophers would move up by default baring some sort of 2016 Rutgers nail biter.

Thats because the teams that have lost weren't "around us," they were ranked much higher than we were to begin with.

I'm talking about the teams right in front of us or around us. SMU is only one spot ahead, Baylor is only two spots ahead, ASU is only 3 spots ahead of us and Michigan is only 4 spots ahead of us. Those teams would drop by more than just 2-4 spots if they lost and the gophers would move up by default baring some sort of 2016 Rutgers nail biter.

You seem to think these polls aren't skewed/rigged.

"I'm not going to get excited until after we win the B1G Championship. If I start having fun before that, I might end up being disappointed later in the year."

Signed,
A life-long Minnesotan

Not just the teams ahead of you to watch in the polls. Some of these one loss and two loss teams will lose and voters will add undefeated Gophers, rank them higher.

Still receiving votes are:
26. Tulane (they play 32. Memphis)...Gophs could pick up votes one way or the other.
27. Iowa State plays TxTech...if they drop to 4-3, you gotta think some of those top 25 ballots go to MN.
28. Temple vs SMU
29 Wake Forest just a slight fave vs FSU
31 UVA slight fave vs Duke
33 Gamecocks dogs to Florida
34 USC is 3-3 and still getting top 25 votes? play AZ
35 A&M is 3-3 and still getting top 25 votes? play Ole Miss
36 SDSU is 5-1, plays SJSU
37 LaTech is underdog to Southern Miss

I looked at al the AP voters rankings and compiled a list with the number of voters who have a team that is ranked behind us in the final poll ahead of us in their individual poll.

Cinci: 24
Missouri: 12
App State: 10
Tulane: 7
Washington: 10
Temple: 2
Cal: 1
UVA: 1
UCF: 1
Wake Forrest: 1
Iowa State: 1
San Diego State: 1

We are 18 points ahead of Cinci, the team right behind us and 68 points behind SMU who is right ahead of us so these teams losing wouldn't hurt but wouldn't help us too much either.

Last edited:

I wonder how high South Carolina would jump if they beat Florida coming off of the Georgia victory.

My uneducated guess is high-teens as a 3-loss team.

Teams ahead of us that have lost or are losing or play a ranked v ranked

6. Wisconsin
16. Michigan/ 7. PSU
17. ASU/13. Utah

If Penn State wins, we probably get up to 18 at the lowest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logically we beat Illinois and Illinois beat Wisconsin > we should be higher than Wisconsin.

Logically we beat Illinois and Illinois beat Wisconsin > we should be higher than Wisconsin.

Won't happen but we'll be within a couple spots. I'd say us 16 and them 14.

I'll say 18, not a lot of action ahead of us. I don't see Wisconsin dropping that far. Maybe if Georgia loses again they will fall pretty far, WI will be around 13

Won't happen but we'll be within a couple spots. I'd say us 16 and them 14.

Right....I'd be surprised to jump Wisconsin since they are all the way at #6. However....losing to Illinois is pretty bad. They might knock them a bit more than we suspect. But Wisconsin isn't beating OSU. We'll jump them after next week.

Crushed* Illinois. You meant to say we crushed them. Don’t worry I got ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baylor and SMU both won...ASU down 14-0 vs. #13 Utah at halftime...probably no movement

Baylor and SMU both won...ASU down 14-0 vs. #13 Utah at halftime...probably no movement

We had a convincingly win and at least three team above us will lose, so we’ll def move up. I say 18-17

Oops, wrong thread for the second time today.

Top Bottom