Good article on Bateman

Author has two different rankings in the article for the 2018 class.

Can we just post this in the header of the site for all the fuddy duddies?

“At the time I didn’t know much about Minnesota or know anybody in Minnesota,” Bateman told 247Sports last week. “I just knew Coach Fleck and what he did at Western Michigan. I saw his pregame speeches and they really stuck out to me. … That’s what young people want.”

Kirby could have used a WR who can catch the ball recently....

This is interesting....

.... The satellite camp represented Bateman’s breakout moment in the eyes of Power Five schools; Bateman didn’t have a 247Sports Composite ranking before he arrived at Mercer University for the event. It’s worth noting Fleck’s historically excelled with his evaluations. It’s a big reason why Western Michigan went from 1-11 in his first year to 13-1 three seasons later. Bateman, who finished as a four-star prospect, is an example of a strong early evaluation. He’s not the only one.

Of the 23 high school members of Minnesota’s 37th-ranked 2018 class, 16 of them ranked higher in the 247Sports Composite at the end of the cycle than they did when they committed to the Gophers. Part of that is because Minnesota adds the large majority of its commitments prior to a players’ senior year. But it’s also a testament to Minnesota’s early evaluations that their targets continue to rise into their senior seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting....

.... The satellite camp represented Bateman’s breakout moment in the eyes of Power Five schools; Bateman didn’t have a 247Sports Composite ranking before he arrived at Mercer University for the event. It’s worth noting Fleck’s historically excelled with his evaluations. It’s a big reason why Western Michigan went from 1-11 in his first year to 13-1 three seasons later. Bateman, who finished as a four-star prospect, is an example of a strong early evaluation. He’s not the only one.

Of the 23 high school members of Minnesota’s 37th-ranked 2018 class, 16 of them ranked higher in the 247Sports Composite at the end of the cycle than they did when they committed to the Gophers. Part of that is because Minnesota adds the large majority of its commitments prior to a players’ senior year. But it’s also a testament to Minnesota’s early evaluations that their targets continue to rise into their senior seasons.

Our recruiting rankings have been higher... but as far as some of these players go, I think we have done better at picking out diamonds out there more than anything.

Our recruiting rankings have been higher... but as far as some of these players go, I think we have done better at picking out diamonds out there more than anything.

I agree. It’s clearly a Fleck strategy to identify these kids and lock them up early in the process, before the sharks begin to circle.

I agree. It’s clearly a Fleck strategy to identify these kids and lock them up early in the process, before the sharks begin to circle.

Appears to be a damn good strategy!

Bateman is testimonial to PJ Fleck's winning strategy. It is no accident the Gophers are where they are at today. Thanks PJ Fleck tireless astute recruiting. The improvement in team depth in both offense and defense is noticeable compared to the last few years.

The Gophers Sunday practice is also helping the backup and scout team players develop physically and mentally and is possibly helping producing dependable game ready backups.

It PJ Fleck stays, I could see the Gophers becoming a perennial contender for at least the B1G West some day.

Last edited:

I am really impressed with Bateman staying true to his word. Promised Fleck that if he offered a scholarship, Bateman would accept and then never waivered after that point. As we see far too often, this generation's "word" doesn't tend to mean a whole lot. Kudo's to Rashod Bateman for being a man of his word!

I am really impressed with Bateman staying true to his word. Promised Fleck that if he offered a scholarship, Bateman would accept and then never waivered after that point. As we see far too often, this generation's "word" doesn't tend to mean a whole lot. Kudo's to Rashod Bateman for being a man of his word!

For sure, it is only this generation that doesn’t honor non-binding commitments.
Certainly no generations before have ever done that.

Those dang generation Z kids, always changing their minds.
I've never experienced my baby boomer boss not stay true to his word. Something must have happened to the water in the 90's.

For sure, it is only this generation that doesn’t honor non-binding commitments.
Certainly no generations before have ever done that.

I agree with you in that it is not necessarily a new thing, so sorry that my post made it come across that way. Should have just said kudos to RB and left it at that.

Those dang generation Z kids, always changing their minds.
I've never experienced my baby boomer boss not stay true to his word. Something must have happened to the water in the 90's.

It's only ok if people change their mind when they do what I want them to do... anyone who changes their mind otherwise is bad and should feel bad.

Top Bottom