Lou Holtz era

There was massive excitement when Holtz arrived. I believe the Dome sold out or was near capacity for one of the Spring Games.

Then he left in the middle of the night, took a loaded recruiting class with him and promised he'd come back to say goodbye to the Gophers he left but most never heard from him again.

Go Gophers!!

I am surprised that no has mentioned that when the snake Holtz left, we were put on probation for illegal recruiting measures. Same thing happened at Arkansas and S Carolina. Not sure about ND but of course the NCAA has different standards for ND.

Holtz was charismatic and maybe was willing to cut corners to bring success. I remember watching that homecoming game against OSU very clearly. They were very close that year. Fleck talks about recruiting being the number one ingredient, but to sell a program that has been down or mediocre you need someone with some charisma in my opinion.
My oldest brother was a huge Gopher fan and he was VP of Sales and Marketing for a large Japanese motorcycle company. He had Lou Holtz speak at their annual sales meeting in 1985 and he was scheduled to speak again the next year. My brother said that Lou called him a few days before to say he had to back out and that he was leaving Minnesota.

Believe it or not, we had over 50K fans at the Spring Game!! Holtz had the entire State talking Gopher football. He had a "wish list" which could have kept him in Minnesota. From what I heard he wanted an Athletic Dormitory to house only athletes. We also had on the docket a spot for him to be the replacement A.D. to Paul Giel. According to Sid, Lou was all set to stay, had a meeting set up with then President C. Peter McGrath, and McGrath made Holtz wait over 30 minutes until meeting with him...Holtz was fuming, all this according to Sid. I can remember going to a Goal Line Club meeting about 4 month after Holtz's departure and Giel told us that he wanted to the Football program to "seek its own level". You can't make this up. You could almost sense a collective sigh of relief from the Athletic Dept. and the U of M Administration, when Holtz left. All of the marketing, the hoop-la, the Gopher gear that was being carried by Dayton's and other major retailers......all of that was coming from Holtz and NOT the marking folks at the U. The U was simply in Holtz's way. When he left, they could finally get back to "business as usual" which meant, "let's stay under the radar so nobody notices us". Even today, when I go into retail stores and I see college shirts and jackets and the like, and I see Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and others, but NO Gopher stuff...and I ask the store managers why. They invariably say that the University has licensing policies unlike the other schools, which make it next to impossible to carry their gear. Very typical of the U. Having sat on the Goal Line Club Board of Directors in the past, I can tell you that just about every new idea that was presented was followed by a "we can't do that" response from the representatives of the athletic dept. That is their first response to everything. Enough of my rant!

Complete bunk, period. As another poster stated, there are racks in JCP, Kohls, Target. Macy's had a section as well. Every sports-centric apparel store I've been in around here has Gopher stuff. Every major online sports apparel site has Gopher stuff.

+1. I can't speak to the Holtz/Giel/Magrath part of his post (though it sounds made up to suit a narrative - Magrath wasn't even president when Holtz left), but the retail part is straight BS. I would love to know these so-called retailers that don't carry Gopher gear. I have never had any issue whatsoever finding Gophers gear in-store or online, from Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Fleet Farm, Black Clover, Macy's, Golf Galaxy, etc., etc. among many others, and of course the UMN Bookstore and Goldy's Locker Room. "Licensing policies"...please.

I can't walk into these big box stores and come out with no new Gophers gear. It's all over the place. And in many cases....the quality is very good. I see a lot of 50/50 cotton/poly blends. I've bought a couple shirts that have been cotton/poly/rayon. There has been a significant push in the past five or ten years to not only push boxy team shirts....but also carry quality Gophers gear. Maybe not quite on par with Goldy's Locker Room (which I also buy a few things from every year, while at the game) but pretty nice.

Complete bunk, period. As another poster stated, there are racks in JCP, Kohls, Target. Macy's had a section as well. Every sports-centric apparel store I've been in around here has Gopher stuff. Every major online sports apparel site has Gopher stuff.

As I said.....Kohls has a mini Gopher shop in their stores. I've NEVER seen Michigan or Iowa stuff there. A few Wisconsin things? Sure. But the Kohls in MN that I've been to have been mini 'Goldy's Locker Rooms'.

It was like your just put a new engine in your car and the transmission blows out. In 1985, the Gophers got back to a bowl game with a 6-5 record with three of the losses being really close - a 7-13 loss #2 Oklahoma a 19-23 loss to #9 Ohio State and a 26-31 loss to Michigan State. Things were really looking up for the Gophers. I think it's what came after that really made it seem like the transmission blew out. After a couple of OK years under Gutekunst (with, to be fair, included a win over Michigan) the wheels really fell off. If the U had made better personnel decisions after Holtz left, people might see the Holtz era more fondly.

I am surprised that no has mentioned that when the snake Holtz left, we were put on probation for illegal recruiting measures. Same thing happened at Arkansas and S Carolina. Not sure about ND but of course the NCAA has different standards for ND.

He did. The Luther Darville thing was weird. I'm not sure many would have cared had be took us to the Rose Bowl. Doesn't seem to bother the SEC teams in football or the ACC teams in basketball.

In one sense, the Holtz era was a glimpse into the other side of college football.

The U of MN has generally presented itself as a program that does things "the right way" - no blatant cheating, under-the-table payments, no-show jobs for players, etc.

There are other coaches and programs who don't mind playing fast and loose with the rules, as long as you don't get caught. (and counting on the NCAA to do its typical gutless job of enforcement.)

Holtz showed us what it's like to be one of those programs. I'm not saying he came in here with the intention to cheat/bend the rules, but things happened and the U of MN ultimately paid the price.

i know it was short lived. and i know about the whole ND thing in his contract, but for those of you who were around back then.
How was the Holtz era? Fun n exciting? Was he supposed to be a savior? New to GH so please pardon my random questions here n there. (I don't know any Goph fans besides me n my pops so i never get to talk to anyone about them).

True Stories:

I had just moved to the TC's (Burnsville) after Holtz was hired. My two roommates and I bought season tickets even though none of us could afford them. One of my roommates worked at a hotel on the 494 strip. During the 2nd year of Holtz's tenure, my roommate was working at the front desk, wearing a Gopher pin on his lapel. This guy walks up and the first thing he said is "I am a Notre Dame fan and we are going to take your head coach". What struck my roommate was the level of arrogance coming from this guy. A month or so later Holtz was on his way to South Bend.

My first job was selling envelopes for McKay Envelope. Yes, Harvey's company located North and East of Seibert Field. Harvey was instrumental in getting Lou to come here. Being the Gopher fan that I am I made a point to meet Harvey and actually talked to him twice. Amazing considering he was rarely seen in the office. Harvey had a life size "doll" (for lack of better description) made of Lou. It was actually quite real with a hint of cartoon mixed in. Maroon pants, gold V-neck sweater and hair to match Lou's. Harvey lugged that thing around to different events and it became quite popular. Harvey was out of town and the doll was in a closet at McKay. Kiddingly, I asked my supervisor if I could take it for the weekend as we were having a big party at our house. To my surprise he said yes but with strict guidelines of taking care of it. I obliged and proceeded to carry that thing out to my car and buckle in the passenger seat for the 30+ minute ride home to Burnsville. Absolutely the best 30 minute car ride I have ever been in. Wish I could have collected a dollar for every glance or stare that I or "Lou" received. Of course stop lights were the best! I was cracking up the entire ride home. Needless to say "Lou" was quite popular at the party!! Good times!

Hotlz was the savior - I nearly jumped out of my car when I heard on WCCO that he had been hired by Paul Giel. Holtz had been at several schools and was a big success at Arkansas, where he went 61-20, six bowls, and a big upset of Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl that got a lot of national publicity. Unfortunately, he didn't get along well with the AD, Frank Broyles (previously a coach there), so they parted company. Arriving at Minnesota, he got national publicity, with articles in Sports Illustrated and other national magazines. He was Mr. Excitement, immediately reviving interest in the program, which had gone 1-10 the year before. there was so much hype by and about Holtz that the Spring game in the Dome drew 40,000. He went 4-7 his first year (1984), but two of the wins were over Wisconsin and Iowa, which made fans happy. He was 7-38 at Lincoln (Nebraska then #1 in nation), but the year before Nebraska beat down the Gophers 84-13 in the Dome. Most fans were happy with the season and looking ahead. In '85, the Gophers nearly beat #3 Oklahoma on national TV in their third game. Rickey Foggie and the Gophers had the ball in the red zone with minutes left, but couldn't score, and we lost 7-13. By comparison, Texas lost to Oklahoma 7-14. The Sooners went 11-1 that year and beat Penn State in the Orange Bowl. The Gophers opened 5-1, then lost to #9 Ohio State, 19-23 (they were ranked #20 themselves). But about that time, Notre Dame was collapsing (it had hired a high school coach, who was in his second year, and failing badly) and rumors began to swirl that Holtz was in line for the job. The Gophers went 1-3 after that as Foggie missed a game with injuries and it became obvious that Holtz was leaving. He didn't stick around for the bowl game, in which the DC, John Gutekunst, coached the Gophers to a win over Clemson (which had been national champs a few years earlier). In his third year at Notre Dame, Holtz won a national title, with a QB, Tony Rice, he had recruited to Minnesota. The enormous emotional hype of Holtz's arrival was matched by the collapse of the enthusiasm balloon when he left. Fans wanted a big name coach and Giel went after Maryland's Bobby Ross, who was a .66 winner there but wanted better facilities. Ross was interested, as he liked the Dome, but his campus visit was marred by an anti-Giel movement to retain Gutekunst ('the players' choice"), organized by a UM athletic bureaucrat (forget his name) and Ross felt unwanted. He went to Georgia Tech, where he won a national championship a few year later. Gutey was dull compared to Holtz, went 29-36 over seven seasons and was fired. Had he been fired two years earlier, we would have had a real shot at Barry Alvarez, who was DC with Holtz at Notre Dame and had been told he could "win big" at Minnesota. Instead we got Jim Wacker, who went 16-39 over five years. Many claimed later that when Giel hired Holtz there was a contract stipulation that he could leave only for Notre Dame, which Holtz later denied. So the entire saga, from Holtz arriving to Wacker departing, was a kind of era that was mostly bad - and many still resent Holtz and regard him as a traitor and an opportunist.

The Oklahoma game had me convinced we were on the way to the Rose Bowl soon.
20191002_173451.jpg

The Lou Holtz era was like a shot of electricity. One thing was clearly evident: The man could coach. His teams were aggressive
and intense. They showed immediate improvement, and had he stayed they would have gone to a Rose Bowl or three. But, ND called,
and.....sigh

I was a little young, but all of the things we talk about and wish for Holtz delivered immediately. Every fringe fan and alumni was instantly a believer and excited. Fan interest was thru the roof, and had he stayed even 4 years, a culture might have been built that could have been sustained. As it was, Gutie was a total dud in all ways.

Am I the only one that either flips wisconsin and iowa shirts and other apparel around so you can't see the logo or moves them to the back of the rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have trouble finding Minnesota Gopher stuff down here in Houston. I see lots of other schools represented but it always seems the Gopher stuff must just be sold out.

Holtz was charismatic and maybe was willing to cut corners to bring success. I remember watching that homecoming game against OSU very clearly. They were very close that year. Fleck talks about recruiting being the number one ingredient, but to sell a program that has been down or mediocre you need someone with some charisma in my opinion.
My oldest brother was a huge Gopher fan and he was VP of Sales and Marketing for a large Japanese motorcycle company. He had Lou Holtz speak at their annual sales meeting in 1985 and he was scheduled to speak again the next year. My brother said that Lou called him a few days before to say he had to back out and that he was leaving Minnesota.

Lou Holts had charisma. No loyalty, but lots of charisma.

Wasn't there a rumor that at the point of us hiring Fleck or Kill, Holtz was again being considered?

Some insight

Lou's youngest son was a good friend of mine and a fraternity brother. I had the fortune of meeting Lou several times and was at their house in Edina a few times. Yes, we were all disappointed when Lou went to ND, but you couldn't blame him. Gopher football was so fun in 1985, even if for just a second.

I look back on that era with great fondness, the Holtz era was what brought me to love the Golden Gophers!

Last edited:

It was like your just put a new engine in your car and the transmission blows out. In 1985, the Gophers got back to a bowl game with a 6-5 record with three of the losses being really close - a 7-13 loss #2 Oklahoma a 19-23 loss to #9 Ohio State and a 26-31 loss to Michigan State. Things were really looking up for the Gophers. I think it's what came after that really made it seem like the transmission blew out. After a couple of OK years under Gutekunst (with, to be fair, included a win over Michigan) the wheels really fell off. If the U had made better personnel decisions after Holtz left, people might see the Holtz era more fondly.

Actually, am pretty sure we would have been on probation.

Holtz was a refugee from I believe SC from which he was canned for writing an endorsement for a political candidate on university stationary.
He become too nuts even for ND fans.

Holtz was a refugee from I believe SC from which he was canned for writing an endorsement for a political candidate on university stationary.
He become too nuts even for ND fans.

What monikers did you post under before creating this one?

Since the late 1960s, the Gophers had been generally mediocre to poor. We had the occasional good season like 1977 when we beat both Rose Bowl teams (Washington and #1 at the time Michigan) and made a bowl, but there wasn't much to get excited about. Ohio State and Michigan were so far ahead of the rest of the conference that it seemed unfair. Iowa's rise in the early 1980s was a big deal because fans and media members were beginning to wonder if any team could ever break the Big 2's hold on the conference. Because Iowa had risen, it was really exciting when Lou Holtz came here. He had a great run at Arkansas and done well at North Carolina State too. His one season with the Jets had proven to him that the NFL was not his forte and he should stay in school. Between him coming aboard and the Dome being new and not universally hated yet, it created excitement about the program that has been rarely experienced since.

I think sports fans were more innocent and less cynical back then, even having gone through season interrupting MLB and NFL strikes along with drugs getting into sports, free agency harming smaller market teams and so on. When Lou Holtz came here, Gopher fans really believed he'd be our 20 year coach. He'd be our Bo or our Bear or even our Fry since becoming what Iowa had become seemed tangible. In retrospect, that was preposterous. He was passing through on the way to the next stop. Even if it hadn't been Notre Dame, there were going to be other legacy programs or upwardly mobile programs willing to spend big that would have come for him. Holtz was leaving sooner or later. On the former point, had Notre Dame hired someone else after the 1985 season, the Alabama job opened up after 1986 and Oklahoma opened up after 1988. Better jobs were out there. On the latter point, Jackie Sherrill left a Pitt program after 1981 that was the preseason #1 for 1982 in order to become the highest paid coach in college football at Texas A&M. The LSU job opened after 1986 and Holtz would certainly have been enticed to go had the program shown interest and he was still here at that time.

So when Holtz left, people were just crushed. There are people of a certain age now who still get mad at the mere mention of his name and on this basis hate Notre Dame much more than conference rivals we play annually to very often, even though we've played Notre Dame 5 times ever and not since 1938 and Holtz is long gone from there. It was an end of the innocence sort of thing. A lot of people who climbed on the bandwagon for Holtz could not get into the dull as dry toast John Gutekunst. After that first good post Holtz team, and apart from Holtz himself going to South Bend, the subsequent decline under Gutey is greatly responsible for the naked cynicism and ambivalence so many Minnesotans have for the Gophers, in my opinion. After a taste of the big time and the promise of bigger times to come, midlevel to bad teams like under Joe Salem and so often under Cal Stoll were just not enough to hold the interest of fans who saw no reason to believe the team would ever climb higher.

Last edited:

I am a longtime fan. I saw the 1977 upset of Michigan at Memorial. I listened to countless Gopher games on 'CCO and recall the broadcast of Kent Kitzman's record breaking game raking leaves with my dad, a U alum from 1956.

I was a student at the U and was watching a Gopher hoops game at Williams when some excited guy in the crowd started yelling repeatedly "we got Lou Holtz". While I knew he had coached the Razorbacks and bombed with the Jets, I was not sure what the excitement was about. I soon learned and it was a fun ride. I remember him talking about having to go elsewhere for skill but getting the homegrown brawn. He also preached a number of the same themes PJ does now and was equally adept at self promotion. He definitely improved the team and I recall that Oklahoma game at the dome and the how electric Ricky Foggie was on the field. Things were on the upswing when he abruptly left for ND. After all the talk of commitment and loyalty it felt like a betrayal.

I graduated from the U in 86 and I moved west for school and my roommate in my second and third years was an ND grad and avid fan. So I got bombarded how great Holtz was for those years while the wound of Holtz's betrayal was still fresh. That is why it has been tough for me to embrace Fleck, although I am very impressed with his results and he seems to walk what he talks, which I cannot say for that bastard Holtz.

I figure it is best to enjoy the ride, because I was a Gopher long before PJ got here and I suspect I will remain one long after he moves on.

I think Holtz got on the wrong side of ADFrank Broyles, who had on only recently retired as FB coach, and there was some meddling and bad blood spilled. Arkansas had it going pretty well, and the Holtz firing was pretty odd, even though I barely remember it. Broyles live for years and only died recently I think. This was sort of like the Alvarez- Bielema UW problem.

I remember how bad the Salem era ended (I was in HS), and it was not so great for all of us as Salem had things moving in the right direction at first, but the bottom fell out quickly after a win at Purdue in September of 1982. I viewed the whole thing as curse on Minnesota football for giving up the historical stadium for the horrible Metrodome.

After a 3-0 start, the loss the Illini in 1982 in game for was the start of the horrible end to the Smokey Joe Salem era. The curse of the Metrodome was in full force.

When Lou Holtz finally arrived I was in college in the MIAC and too cynical to care much about what happened. Of course had Holtz pulled off the Barry Alverez Rose Bowl move, I would have been all in.

It took Glen Mason to get me back on board. After Gutey and Wacker I was thankful to Mason for making Minnesota solid and somewhat relevant again, leading to my resentment of Maturi and his absurd decisons.

Last edited:

Nice post. Many people were angry with Lou Holtz and hate him to this day, but for me it was the most excited I have ever been about Gopher football and it isn't even close. I was at school there and my freshman year our intramural football team was named "Salem's Last Hope" as we watched the dismal 1983 season unfold. We were the worst team in the country and it wasn't even close. For those who weren't around think of this Rutgers team we are playing and how bad they are - well I think we would have STILL lost to that team. For the Michigan game, no betting line was on the game as Las Vegas did not believe we could field a competitive team. I have never seen that before or since. After beating Rice, we got blown out by everyone as the injuries were horrific. They actually put an ad in the Minnesota Daily for students to come in and walk on so they would have enough people to practice. So when Lou Holtz came, it was a breath of fresh air. It was fun to see this unbelievable transformation. If Holtz would have stayed there is no doubt in my mind we would have been in the Rose Bowl within the next few years. It was crushing to see him go, and it didn't help they made a huge mistake in hiring DC John Gutekunst to keep the momentum going instead of Bobby Ross who would go on to win a National Championship at Georgia Tech a few years later.

Some here are saying he wrecked things but I would say he showed us what was possible with the right attitude and right coach. So if we ever find someone like him again we had better do whatever it takes to keep him happy and keep him here a long time.

My thought exactly. What a huge mistake it was to hire this clown. So many penalties for too many men on the field and then there were 10 men on the field.
I observed one of his football camps for high school kids and they were BORING. Losing Lou was a kick in the gut and PJ is finally starting to make things feel better.

It was a "athletic hat store" at MOA and it actually DID happen. I'm not a liar. Let me also state that this happened about 2 years ago and they may very well carry Gopher hats now, but at that time they did not, and my wife asked the store manage why and the answer she got was stated in my post.

Man these stories make me glad I missed this era. I think that would have crushed me.

Man these stories make me glad I missed this era. I think that would have crushed me.

I know with what he was replaced with made me lose a lot of interest for a long time. Always cared, but made it difficult. Mason made it possible to think positively again.

What was so surprising about Gutey is how fast the team dropped.

After almost beating Oklahoma the year prior, in our second game of 1986 we lost 0-63.

I still remember the night it was confirmed Holtz was leaving. I heard it on the radio from a CBS sports report on WCCO I believe and my heart sank. It may have been Brent Musburger on the radio and he said "Minnesota won't miss a beat if the right person steps in there".

Well, we missed a few beats.

Top Bottom