All things Gophers in the XFL

johnnybb

Reaction score
Thought it was worth mentioning that Jonathan Celestin and Jalen Myrick were both drafted by the D.C. Defenders in the XFL draft. So I guess we know who we'll all be rooting for to win the XFL Cup.

Last edited:

Andrew Stelter is with the LA franchise

Former Gophers QB Marc Trestman is the HC of the Tampa Bay Vipers.

Former Gophers QB coach Jim Zorn is the HC of the Seattle Dragons.

Go Gophers!!

Not trying to be a debby downer ... but do you guys think this new league has a chance to survive, financially?

The first league that popped up earlier this year seemed to have a lot of great players and some good football. And quickly ran out of money.

I think football has already pretty well saturated TV. You have tons of college, and of course the NFL on Thur, Sun, Mon. And each game you want to invest into costs you 3.5-4hrs of viewing time. So either the new league has to go head-to-head with existing product, or try to strike out on a new day ... I just think people have plenty of football to watch.

Not trying to be a debby downer ... but do you guys think this new league has a chance to survive, financially?

The first league that popped up earlier this year seemed to have a lot of great players and some good football. And quickly ran out of money.

I think football has already pretty well saturated TV. You have tons of college, and of course the NFL on Thur, Sun, Mon. And each game you want to invest into costs you 3.5-4hrs of viewing time. So either the new league has to go head-to-head with existing product, or try to strike out on a new day ... I just think people have plenty of football to watch.

That league had just one major financial backer who pulled out mid-season, while as the XFL has the backing of a major entertainment organization. It should at least be more stable/survive longer than the AAF did.

I think football has already pretty well saturated TV. You have tons of college, and of course the NFL on Thur, Sun, Mon. And each game you want to invest into costs you 3.5-4hrs of viewing time. So either the new league has to go head-to-head with existing product, or try to strike out on a new day

They play on saturday and sundays starting the week after the Super Bowl so they arnt really going head to head. Additionally the XFl is on Fox, ABC, and ESPN while, iirc, the AAF streamed online.

Ah, deep winter/early spring football. Like the AFL tried to do several years ago. Fair enough. Thanks guys

Vince McMahon has a couple of bucks. It will come down to TV revenues.

There is no head-to-head. Season starts after Super Bowl, ends 10 weeks later.

I think so. They are paying the XFL guys peanuts compared to the AAF salaries. It is actually quite low. Believe I read that the high-end average salary is about $50,000-$55,000. Not a whole lot to go through the rigors of football.

I think so. They are paying the XFL guys peanuts compared to the AAF salaries. It is actually quite low. Believe I read that the high-end average salary is about $50,000-$55,000. Not a whole lot to go through the rigors of football.

Sounds quite a lot like how Vince McMahon treats the rank and file pro wrestlers: find guys who will accept peanuts to put their bodies on the line.

It will be interesting to see how the league pans out. All of these leagues assume there is a market for year-round football. Thus far it doesn't seem like there is!

Sounds quite a lot like how Vince McMahon treats the rank and file pro wrestlers: find guys who will accept peanuts to put their bodies on the line.

It will be interesting to see how the league pans out. All of these leagues assume there is a market for year-round football. Thus far it doesn't seem like there is!

Professional wrestlers have to sign up as contract workers, actually. That way McMahon doesn't have to pay for any medical care for them, and can simply discard them like trash when their bodies are worn down.

They got Vince McMahon money behind them. I don't think money is going to be the question, its going to be if bottom of the barrel talent, where Fringe NFL guys are the league's stars, will be entertaining enough.

Ah, deep winter/early spring football. Like the AFL tried to do several years ago. Fair enough. Thanks guys

Possibly learned from the hiccups and mistakes its first go-around. Theyre already doing away with the over the top theatrics...no strippers for cheerleaders, no sprint to the ball for the coin flip. Some other things I hear they are doing that sounds good...no replay, and an eye in the sky ref that can keep the game flowing. Their goal I heard is to keep games to around 2.5 hours.

Again, I think its all about if the talent is entertaining enough.

According to Pro Football Talk, the average salary will be 55K, no the high end. Maximum salary will be 257.5K. That should be enough to bring in some guys thirsty for an NFL chance, and enough for the guys who just don't want a traditional job, or for those who's true passion in life is football and can make a reasonable wage playing it.

And that's a wrap on that...

The XFL suspended operations Friday morning and laid off nearly all of its staff, multiple sources told ESPN. While a handful of executives remain employed, the league currently has no plans to return in 2021.

Go Gophers!!

And that's a wrap on that...

The XFL suspended operations Friday morning and laid off nearly all of its staff, multiple sources told ESPN. While a handful of executives remain employed, the league currently has no plans to return in 2021.

Go Gophers!!

From USA Today article;

The upstart football league, which canceled the remainder of its inaugural season due to the coronavirus pandemic, announced in an internal conference call Friday it was suspending operations and laying off its employees, multiple figures within the league said via Twitter.

Upon announcing in March that the league would not complete its 2020 season, commissioner Oliver Luck said the XFL was "committed to playing a full season in 2021 and future years."

The only thing the football gods hate more than MN football is Nelson.

XFL's timing couldn't have been worse. They were actually getting more viewers than expected, and even though the numbers were dropping, they were doing well against some of the competition (NBA, NASCAR, etc.). That said, a second season was always going to be a challenge for them, but the Corona virus ensured it would not happen.

Hopefully the NFL takes a look at some of the new things the XFL implemented. Mic'd up refs and review booth guys was great, I liked the kickoffs, and the sideline player interviews were wild.

Top Bottom