Illinois - "Leave us be"

I can tell you who would want it: a MAC coach. And in fact, I think E Michigan or Buffalo head coach’s would be excellent hires.

We’ll see if Illinois has the brains and balls to pull that trigger.

Brewster played for the Ilini. He has experience and can recruit. I'd like to see it!! :clap:

Beckman was 4-20 in conference and 12-25 overall. To say that he wasn't fired for football reasons isn't accurate. The player abuse was a big reason for his dismissal, but his record on the field earned him no benefit of the doubt to overcome it.

If I'm AD Josh Whitman I go after Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard and let him build the program. He's going to be a terrific head coach somewhere.

Sure either of the Wisc Coords is probably a solid choice.

I gave you the correct reason why it had nothing to do with football. You can’t pretend the trend wasn’t upwards. Otherwise you’d be voting for firing Fleck after this season because of his poor record when averaged over the first three seasons.

Brewster played for the Ilini. He has experience and can recruit. I'd like to see it!! :clap:

They interviewed him for the job the year before he came here. I really wonder how different Gopher and Illini history would be had they pulled the trigger on Brew instead of Zook?

There were a lot of people on their fan blog pulling for him to be hired. Thought his great recruiting would turn the program around. That actually turned my initial skepticism around after I read how many fans were pulling for him. Wow, was that a mistake!! :)

Obviously, I can't imagine any P5 school hiring Brew now. Not even Illinois. I also question if he even wants to go that route anymore. If he did, I think he'd be trying to get into a non-P5 school to work his way up. Seems like he's pretty happy just being a TE coach.

No, he doesn’t want to go that route. He tried it and failed.

I don’t think he enjoyed it. I think he enjoys recruiting, and coaching TEs. That is what he has been doing since, at Florida State, Texas A&M, and now North Carolina.

Wonder if Illinois could pull Mike Norvell from memphis

Wonder if Illinois could pull Mike Norvell from memphis

Memphis previous HC is driving Virginia Tech into the ground ...

4-2 this season, but they havent beaten anyone and got stomped at home by Duke.

Today’s win should bring a little sunlight into the Illini world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the writer jumped the gun a bit ;).

When's the last time the Gophers got a top 10 win?

I wonder how the OP feels now. BTN must have been ahead of the curve.

At the time, I never would have imagined that the Gophers victory over the Illini could be deemed a "quality win".

I have thought of this "leave us be" article several times during Illinois' rise in recent weeks. Basically, ever since it was written, they have been a good team.

Illinois has a bye this week.

@ Iowa the next week.

Then Northwestern comes to Champaign.

If the Gophers beat Iowa this weekend, Iowa will be reeling. I think there's a chance Illinois wins out, and finishes 6-3 in the conference, 8-4 overall. If we beat Wisconsin, the Badgers will be 6-3 in the conference as well. Illinois would finish second in the B1G West (ahead of Wisconsin) because they own the tiebreaker over the Sconnies.

Wow. Lovie would get some Coach of the Year consideration.

Last edited:

Illinois has quietly become Minnesota’s 2nd best win and something decent on the resume. Nobody else blew them out like the Gophs.

I have thought of this "leave us be" article several times during Illinois' rise in recent weeks. Basically, ever since it was written, they have been a good team.

Me too and very happy for them and Indiana.
I never saw it coming but was lucky enough to see their 4th quarter comeback vs Wisconsin and it amazing.

I welcome our new overlords Illinois and Indiana.

Let the "I" hegemony begin!

Illinois has quietly become Minnesota’s 2nd best win and something decent on the resume. Nobody else blew them out like the Gophs.

Wisconsin drilled them in their game, they just didn't score enough and turned it over. But statistically, Wisconsin crushed them. Time of possession was over 2:1.

I remember looking at the available games that week and choosing to watch Purdue at Iowa instead as I didn't want to watch WI throttle IL. Purdue kept the game close but didn't convert on the onside kick at the end of the game. I looked down at the bottom stream and saw WI 23 IL 21 with ~3 min left. I switched channels and saw the Badger QB throw the pick right as I switched (literally the ball left the QB's hand when the channel came on). I couldn't have timed it better. Watched the end and cheered very loudly!!

Top Bottom