Nebraska fake punt

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but I wanted to give props to the coaching staff and players for being prepared and executing that stop on the fake punt.

It’s been awhile since I remember the Gophs stopping a fake punt. Heck, even on short yardage fakes when you think it’s coming it can be tough to stop if it’s well executed. So being that the special teams hasn’t been stellar this year, they seem to be improving and props to them because that was a big stop Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was most excellent. It almost looked like the Nebraska line was more surprised than Minnesota’s.

Neb was right to try it, their team needed a spark.

But yeah MN smothered that play like they knew it was coming.

My buddy attended the game with me. On that 4th down, I turned to him and said “ if there was ever a time for a team to try one, this is it - they’re going to fake it.” And they did, and we stopped it. Just a really cool moment on a really great night.

Fleck left his regular defense out there. Good call by him to do that. Seems like many people were wondering if a fake punt was coming at that moment. They might have been better off just going for it as opposed to the play they ran.

If I recall, Frost mentioned it in his post game presser. Said they felt a need to try it but MN was ready and in the end was a bad call. It took swarming to the ball to stop him short, so good play all around.

Did anyone notice the Nebraska long snapper snaps the ball OVER the blocking line to the punter? I don't think I have seen that before.

In contrast, MN leaves a gap to snap to the punter and close it as soon as it is snapped.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fake punts work because of the element of surprise, in this case they were missing that.

To me, it was a symbol of this program turning the corner. Too many times over the years we have let opponents back into games by not being as prepare as the other team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom