STrib: Gophers' Sam Renner: 'Unsung hero of the defense'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Fleck called Renner the “unsung hero of the defense” after the game, someone who can anchor the line at nose guard, tackle or end and doesn’t let his slightly undersized 275-pound frame inhibit him.

“If there’s one guy I want with me if I’m walking to a place that maybe I shouldn’t be walking at times, I want Sam Renner right next to me,” Fleck said. “… He’s the guy you want with you when there’s crisis, when there’s chaos.”

Renner redshirted his first season coming off back-to-back knee injuries and did not play at all the next year. He made it to special teams as a sophomore, earned a scholarship and defensive playing time as a junior. And now as a senior, he’s not only a starter but an impact player.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-sam-renner-unsung-hero-of-the-defense/563178272/

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

Fleck called Renner the “unsung hero of the defense” after the game, someone who can anchor the line at nose guard, tackle or end and doesn’t let his slightly undersized 275-pound frame inhibit him.

“If there’s one guy I want with me if I’m walking to a place that maybe I shouldn’t be walking at times, I want Sam Renner right next to me,” Fleck said. “… He’s the guy you want with you when there’s crisis, when there’s chaos.”

Renner redshirted his first season coming off back-to-back knee injuries and did not play at all the next year. He made it to special teams as a sophomore, earned a scholarship and defensive playing time as a junior. And now as a senior, he’s not only a starter but an impact player.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-sam-renner-unsung-hero-of-the-defense/563178272/

Go Gophers!!

Is he a candidate for a medical waiver if he wanted to play another year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier this year, a few posters shared their displeasure regarding Sam Renner in the starting lineup.
One post I recall stated that Renner was the equivalent of Schlueter on the offensive line. I know it was meant as a dig, but it turned out to be prophetic. Both have been very good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Earlier this year, a few posters shared their displeasure regarding Sam Renner in the starting lineup.
One post I recall stated that Renner was the equivalent of Schlueter on the offensive line. I know it was meant as a dig, but it turned out to be prophetic. Both have been very good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

At the time I felt the same way. Like the O-line and the rest of the team, he has gotten better as the year has gone on and now, as you correctly state, it is a positive comparison.

One of the best things about college football, IMO, is watching guys get substantially better year to year. Doesn't always happen, and some guys start so high (Antione Winfield) that it is hard to see them as demonstrably different, but there are usually on a well coached team many players you can see real progress with.

In previous years, I thought he had no business being on the field.

:p

I still haven't been able to figure out how during the non-conference game he was called for defensive holding multiple times on what I recall were running plays. I have never seen that called on defensive linemen.

I still haven't been able to figure out how during the non-conference game he was called for defensive holding multiple times on what I recall were running plays. I have never seen that called on defensive linemen.

I don't think I ever saw the call either before this year. Defensive line holding was apparently a point of emphasis for officials in both the NCAA and NFL going into this year. Well-trained defensive lineman often attempt to hold the offensive lineman when trying to chip block downfield to the linebackers. Seeing how this factor could be one of the ways Rossi's defense seemed to quickly perform better than Smith's last year, I was worried emphasized the D-line holding call could hurt the Gophs (which it did the first couple of games).

Is he a candidate for a medical waiver if he wanted to play another year?

I read it as his injuries occurring prior to his freshman year at the U. In that case, he would not be eligible for a hardship waiver, as no hardships occurred during his five year eligibility.

He didn’t look undersized when he pancaked that Husker guard on the way to to QB. He looked more like Shede.

Keep up that pregame treadmill and yoga routine!

I read it as his injuries occurring prior to his freshman year at the U. In that case, he would not be eligible for a hardship waiver, as no hardships occurred during his five year eligibility.

Ah- didn’t absorb that caveat- you’re correct if the injury was high school related then he’s not eligible for a waiver. Too bad- kid seems to be coming into his own last few games.

In previous years, I thought he had no business being on the field.

:p

I remember when they threw that poor bastard out there against Wisconsin at the end of the year several years back; I looked at the program and I'm like WTF?? We're using a 255-lb FR defensive TACKLE???

Can't believe we're here today. Gotta hand it to him for working on his craft.

Top Bottom