Rose Bowl?

makemyday

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but is anyone starting to smell roses?

Nope. And I won't believe it until we beat Wisconsin. We could easily lose 4 games still. So I'm not counting anything.

My hopes are high, but I won't start to dream that big until we beat PSU and Iowa

We are currently on track for the Rose Bowl, but still have to beat Rutgers this week.

Some segment of every season comes down to luck along with skill. I'd feel pretty bad betting that the next 12 spins are going to come out black, but once the first 6 have already happened, and the table seems tilted on the next two, I can at least believe we are in a position to possibly watch 4 more roll in our favor.

I would still bet against it and the toughest games on the schedule fall within the last third of the season. But, at the very least there appears to be a new baseline for what to look forward to when the dust settles: and that is a better bowl game than the Gophers have seen in recent years. We can already look back at spectacular plays and actual lucky moments that often characterize special seasons. If the luck runs out the Gophers still have a shot at a New Years Day bowl. If it continues, things could go to a whole new level if victories can be found against Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Unlikely, but worth dreaming about.

PJ has created a winning culture at Minnesota. I honestly wouldn't bet against winners. I think people need to remember this team beat Wisconsin last year 37-15 and as it didn't have tons of seniors (relative to other teams), has only gotten better. Stuff happens. Morgan could get hurt for example. But winners find a way to win. They don't give up. Perhaps I'll eat crow later, but I think this team is going to win at least 2 of those last 4 games at a minimum and I truly believe they have a chance to win them all if Morgan stays healthy. Taylor got 120 yards in that game against Wisconsin...but who led everyone in rushing? Mo! My point is simply to not underestimate our team....and perhaps dream big like makemyday. But it's one game at a time. Let's go beat Rutgers.

It's possible, but

I don't know about anyone else, but is anyone starting to smell roses?

My biggest question is how do they respond when they get down 14+ points in the first half against a ranked opponent?

Clearly the team has improved over the season and made course corrections, like cleaning up the third quarter deficit issue. Does Fleck`s rhetoric, and I am one that likes him, get into the kids` heads? Will they be able to maintain that confidence when WI possibly holds them scoreless in the first half?

I think half time adjustments are critical to success in big games and I don't think they've had to do that so far this year, or am I way off here?

My biggest question is how do they respond when they get down 14+ points in the first half against a ranked opponent?

Clearly the team has improved over the season and made course corrections, like cleaning up the third quarter deficit issue. Does Fleck`s rhetoric, and I am one that likes him, get into the kids` heads? Will they be able to maintain that confidence when WI possibly holds them scoreless in the first half?

I think half time adjustments are critical to success in big games and I don't think they've had to do that so far this year, or am I way off here?

They were losing in the 4th quarter to SDSU, Fresno State and Georgia Southern, all games were were favored to win in, 2 of them by double digits, and two of them needed a 4th and 10+ yard conversion to get the W.

If we can maintain our confidence and poise in those high pressure situations then I'm not worried about it in games where there is significantly less pressure to win which would be the case for the PSU and Wisconsin games where we won't be favored.

PJ has created a winning culture at Minnesota. I honestly wouldn't bet against winners. I think people need to remember this team beat Wisconsin last year 37-15 and as it didn't have tons of seniors (relative to other teams), has only gotten better. Stuff happens. Morgan could get hurt for example. But winners find a way to win. They don't give up. Perhaps I'll eat crow later, but I think this team is going to win at least 2 of those last 4 games at a minimum and I truly believe they have a chance to win them all if Morgan stays healthy. Taylor got 120 yards in that game against Wisconsin...but who led everyone in rushing? Mo! My point is simply to not underestimate our team....and perhaps dream big like makemyday. But it's one game at a time. Let's go beat Rutgers.

Well said. I know I'm being a little over optimistic. However, I fondly remember, when I was in High School, the last two Gopher teams that DID play in the Rose Bowl in 1961 and 1962. Murray Warmath was the coach and almost got fired a couple of years prior, and was even hung in effigy in front of one of the fraternity homes on University Av. This year has a very similar "feeling" to it as did the 1961-62 years. Just sayin!

I would still bet against it and the toughest games on the schedule fall within the last third of the season. But, at the very least there appears to be a new baseline for what to look forward to when the dust settles: and that is a better bowl game than the Gophers have seen in recent years. We can already look back at spectacular plays and actual lucky moments that often characterize special seasons. If the luck runs out the Gophers still have a shot at a New Years Day bowl. If it continues, things could go to a whole new level if victories can be found against Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Unlikely, but worth dreaming about.

The baseline for this season now appears to be 9 wins, barring something catastrophic.

@Rutgers, Maryland, and @NW appear to be wins.

Penn St, @Iowa, and Wisconsin are what will separate this year from "just" a great season to an incredible season.

No.

All I smell is a Rutgers. Then a Maryland. Then a PSU...................and so on.

Top Bottom