Gopher Fan from Los Angeles

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am a 29 year old life long Gopher fan. My pops is from Minnesota so I was born a diehard Vike/ Goph fan.
My sister currently attends St. Thomas University (From Los Angeles as well, how much we love Minnesota).
I fly up to Minnesota at least once a year for a Gopher or Vike game.
I'll be up there in a few weeks for the Penn State game (crossing fingers we are both 8-0 and college gameday will be there.)
Over the years I have noticed that there is not a lot of love for the Gophers. I feel like me and my dad are some of the biggest fans and we live half the country away. Will an 8-0 undefeated Minnesota (don't wanna get a head of myself but we SHOULD BE 8-0) draw a buzz for the Penn State game? I sure hope so. I cant believe more people don't attend the games. I LOVE TCF Bank stadium!

If both teams are 8-0 there will definitely be buzz.

Hello all.
I am a 29 year old life long Gopher fan. My pops is from Minnesota so I was born a diehard Vike/ Goph fan.
My sister currently attends St. Thomas University (From Los Angeles as well, how much we love Minnesota).
I'll be up there in a few weeks for the Penn State game (crossing fingers we are both 8-0 and college gameday will be there.)
Over the years I have noticed that there is not a lot of love for the Gophers. I feel like me and my dad are some of the biggest fans and we live half the country away. Will an 8-0 undefeated Minnesota (don't wanna get a head of myself but we SHOULD BE 8-0) draw a buzz for the Penn State game? I sure hope so. I cant believe more people don't attend the games. I LOVE TCF Bank stadium!

Welcome to the board! Hopefully you get to attend two games this year - with the second being the Rose Bowl!

I personally think an 8-0 Gophers team vs. 8-0 Penn St will generate the kind of buzz we have not seen for Gopher football since the 2003 Michigan game. Anytime you have two undefeated teams playing in November, it's going to draw some attention. When you factor in that it's Big Ten football and both teams would be Top 15, that's a biggie. People in the Cities will get off their asses and go (just like when we played Miami in basketball a couple years ago and the game was sold out at Williams).

Love the first post! Welcome to GH and great hearing of a die-hard Gopher fan in SoCal. When I lived out there (San Diego) I was pleasantly surprised at how many Gopher fans there were in the area.

If we are 8-0, it will be rocking. It will the biggest Gopher game in a LONG time.

Go Gophers!!

I was living in the LA area from '95-'97. About 50-60 of us Gopher fans found our way to the National Sports Bar & Grill in W Covina to watch the NCAA Hoops Sweet 16 game vs Clemson. About the most fun I've ever had as a Gopher fan.

In 2003 while on vacation at a Wild-Ducks game in Anaheim I happened to sit by another pretty vocal Gopher fan. Ran into him again at Wolves-Kings Game 7. Not sure what he's up to now.

Hello all.

If we are 8-0 I will definitely be buzzed in time for kick off

8-0 Gophers hosting Penn State (even if they have a loss by then) would generate a similar level of buzz as 2003 and that level of buzz was considerable. Especially considering this would also have a bye week to let things boil even longer prior to the actual game.

Pretty sure most people's chili will be hot...

Welcome, good luck, and safe travels in a few weeks...

I've lived in MN my whole life except for 4 years military service. I've been a Gopher fan for 70 years. I just looked at the tickets REMAINING for the last three home games and am somewhat shocked to see thousands of tickets remaining for EACH game. With over three million living in the metro area, and tens of thousands of alumni, and currently near 40,000 current students, we can't fill a 50,000 stadium? Embarrassing!

I remember the 2003 Michigan game like the back of my hand. Still hurts. Would have been Rose Bowl bound if we won.
The 1999 Sun Bowl against Oregon still hurts too, I was young but I remember my dad being super mad/ sad. would have finished in the top 10.

Any recommendations for tailgating? I mean I won't have a car or supplies. I usually just do the Buffalo Wild Wings outdoor party, I like to experience the cold lol.

I remember the 2003 Michigan game like the back of my hand. Still hurts. Would have been Rose Bowl bound if we won.
The 1999 Sun Bowl against Oregon still hurts too, I was young but I remember my dad being super mad/ sad. would have finished in the top 10.

Any recommendations for tailgating? I mean I won't have a car or supplies. I usually just do the Buffalo Wild Wings outdoor party, I like to experience the cold lol.

Just was back last weekend from Denver for the Nebraska game and we did the GLC Tailgate at Williams Arena. It worked out super well. Food was great and the open bar was very generous. Well worth the $50. It also has an inside setup option if the weather is crappy. They said they set up outside as well if the weather is nice.

https://www.goallineclub.org/glc-events/

Great to read your story. Although I was disappointed with the number of Gopher fans at the Nebraska game the fans in attendance were loud. I think more folks will show up if we don't have a blizzard and both teams are undefeated.

I was at both those games. The Sun Bowl, while a loss, was a great experience. Y2K and the world didn't end. Almost got in a fist fight with a Duck fan who was mocking us after the game...yeah, too many cold ones. The buds all painted a maroon "M" on our cheeks and the sunburn left a pale M for about a week. I don't like talking about 2003 Michigan.

I think there are a lot of sleeping fans/alum who will begin to come back if Fleck can string together a a few 9+ win regular seasons.

I was living in the LA area from '95-'97. About 50-60 of us Gopher fans found our way to the National Sports Bar & Grill in W Covina to watch the NCAA Hoops Sweet 16 game vs Clemson. About the most fun I've ever had as a Gopher fan.

In 2003 while on vacation at a Wild-Ducks game in Anaheim I happened to sit by another pretty vocal Gopher fan. Ran into him again at Wolves-Kings Game 7. Not sure what he's up to now.

Sounds like a Gopher hoops pre-game dinner is overdue!

That Wild-Ducks, Wolves-Kings seating coincidence is still mathematically unfathomable!

Go Gophers!!

Hello all.

I’m an Arizona transplant after 54 years in Minnesota. Also going back for PSU game. Can’t wait!

The game will be huge, but we have to get by Maryland first, a team that has had our number in recent years. No B10 team can be taken lightly, but I hope both you and Game Day celebs will be in Minneapolis for the same reason that weekend.

Sounds like a Gopher hoops pre-game dinner is overdue!

That Wild-Ducks, Wolves-Kings seating coincidence is still mathematically unfathomable!

Go Gophers!!

It was amazing, great game too. I'll be in touch.

When the Gophers are good, this is what happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kW3JFKH4M
If Minnesota gets to PSU 8-0 then I would expect the stadium to be rocking.

Thanks for posting that link. I just watched a good chunk of that game - exorcising some demons by looking them in the face. A few observations:

-- Our OL was really beast-mode that year - hopefully we are starting to approach that level with our current group this year and next year.

-- Our WRs were SO average (those penalties by Ellerson really hurt) - but our WR group now is light years better.

-- Our defense was quite suspect overall and still can't figure out how we couldn't stop the screen passes.

-- That pick-6 by Asad was really a back-breaker - just take the sack!

-- Even watching now, you can sense Glen again playing not to lose with a big lead. He looks really nervous, pacing, wiping his brow even when we were up a couple scores. The team has to feel that energy. I get a much different vibe with our current staff and players.

-- Forgot that Golic did color on that game. And the ESPN graphics look so antiquated it's funny.

Overall, cannot wait to get another shot at home on the big stage - this time with a much different ending!

Remember watching the Sun Bowl too. First time I ever got to see Gophers in a bowl game (on broadcast TV none-the-less) and being super bummed until close to midnight.

So happy we won the rematch in 2003 with Verne Lundquist on the call too. Gotta go on Youtube and re-watch it sometime. They showed some of the highlights a couple years when CBS was broadcasting for the 50th year. Including Mason saying he would drop trou.

I don't know what you're talking about. We didn't play Michigan in 2003. That day never happened.

But other than that, welcome aboard. I'm also a Gopher fan in LA (I'm originally from MN).

I would just do the outdoor party.

I don't know what you're talking about. We didn't play Michigan in 2003. That day never happened.

But other than that, welcome aboard. I'm also a Gopher fan in LA (I'm originally from MN).

I would just do the outdoor party.

We are going to have to acknowledge it and burn the memories on November 9 if we want to move forward as a program.

I've lived in MN my whole life except for 4 years military service. I've been a Gopher fan for 70 years. I just looked at the tickets REMAINING for the last three home games and am somewhat shocked to see thousands of tickets remaining for EACH game. With over three million living in the metro area, and tens of thousands of alumni, and currently near 40,000 current students, we can't fill a 50,000 stadium? Embarrassing!

We have filled the stadium before, and in 2015 we averaged more fans than the stadium now holds. The reasons we don't now have been run into the ground on this forum. I'll also say that the cold makes November games are difficult here. That's why season ticket sales are so important -- it's harder to sell 20,000 single game tickets when it's cold.

Having said all that, the truth is that Gophers will not truly get anybody's attention -- in terms of many new ticket buyers -- until we're 8-0 vs. Penn State. If we're 8-0 for that game, I predict a sellout. The only other game after that is Wisconsin. If we don't lose all three of our November games before that, that could sell out, too, or get close.

We are going to have to acknowledge it and burn the memories on November 9 if we want to move forward as a program.

Acknowledge what? I wish we would have played Michigan that year. I think we could have given them a heck of a game.

Top Bottom