Wisconsin coming to town ranked #1?

We don’t want them ranked #1 in our lifetime. By the way hello to everyone I’ve been on the forum reading for years finally joined on.

I don't know about you but I'm starting to smell roses!

Lol. They should have lost to Northwestern. Number 1? In what?

I was driving home from work tonight around 8p Eastern listening to ESPN U. The crew on the air was debating a matchup the final week of the B1G season whereby a 10-1 Wisconsin team was facing a 11-0 Minnesota team and a 11-0 Ohio State team was facing a 10-1 Michigan team. I kid you not. A guy can dream. Right?

Lol. They should have lost to Northwestern. Number 1? In what?

Should’ve lost? Clemson could’ve lost to UNC. Michigan could’ve lost to Army. Not sure I would say Wisconsin should’ve lost to Northwestern. I hate to say it but the Badgers are good. Have you seen them play?

Ha, this is the Alabama bias, where they only lose one game and don't make it into the SEC championship game but then make it into the playoff. Think that would ever happen if our only loss was at the end of the season to Wisconsin? Of course not!

I believe the scenario gj is envisioning is wisco undefeated and in the cfp. A one loss Gophers team would likely go to a NY6 bowl game.

Last edited:

If Wisconsin comes in at 9-2 we might not even need to win to win the division

Unless MN is also a two loss team which is more likely than WI being a two loss team at the end of November.

Troll. You just wanted to post the skunks as being #1. They have never been and never will be the #1 team in the country!

The AXE will stay home at the U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Troll. You just wanted to post the skunks as being #1. They have never been and never will be the #1 team in the country!

The AXE will stay home at the U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_teams_by_weekly_appearances_atop_AP_Poll

Actually, the skunks have been ranked #1 in the AP poll for exactly 1 week in their program history, back in 1952.

I don’t see a path to them being #1 by the end of November especially without the LSU/Bama winner being upset (along with other scenarios already discussed), and I think beating the Russians again in 1980 would be more likely.

They won the Natty in blowout fashion and return most of their skill players. The real interesting question would be if they do lose a game, are they still in the playoff? I'd argue no, because of that schedule. But without a loss, they are 1 or 2 at worst.

I agree with you.

If Clemson has a loss, I don't think they should get into the playoffs. Obviously the undefeated teams should go higher, the loser of LSU/Alabama should get in in front of them (assuming they win out).

Their schedule is bad and they haven't looked dominant. I know they can only play the teams in front of them and I also hate factoring eye test, but you kind of have to.

I don't care for the philosophy. Clemson should've lost to North Carolina. On the basis of their super soft schedule and overall meh performances thusfar, they don't belong near the top spot.

You make a good point....and I generally agree with you....but based upon how voting has been in the past....an undefeated Clemson team is not going to be passed by Wisconsin. Same goes for any team in the SEC. Built-in preseason bias has always been a disadvantage to the Big Ten.

And that's not to take anything away from the SEC. They consistently have a few top notch teams every year. But when it comes down to the CFB playoffs....it's bull$hit that the one loss team from the SEC gets the last spot because their pre-season ranking kept them in the top-ten all year.

Hell....we just railroaded Nebraska and we are only at #20. Think about an undefeated SEC team at #20. They would NEVER have two numbers!

Last edited:

Which is why the CFP poll is the only one that really matters, and correctly isn't released for the first time until well into the season.

Which is why the CFP poll is the only one that really matters, and correctly isn't released for the first time until well into the season.

Good point. But don't you think that it is influenced by the AP polls?

Good point. But don't you think that it is influenced by the AP polls?

Probably impossible to think that it has zero influence, if the people doing the CFP vote follow college football in the slightest.

If you truly were an objective person, starting from nothing, and you looked at the game film of Clemson, particularly their should've-lost to UNC ... I'm not sure you can vote them top 4. But, so long as they don't lose, they'll probably start the poll out in the top 4.

Probably impossible to think that it has zero influence, if the people doing the CFP vote follow college football in the slightest.

If you truly were an objective person, starting from nothing, and you looked at the game film of Clemson, particularly their should've-lost to UNC ... I'm not sure you can vote them top 4. But, so long as they don't lose, they'll probably start the poll out in the top 4.

Well.....that's part of my point. The people who vote on these things had Clemson at the top of the AP polls to begin the season. How does that influence the CFP rankings? Their "almost loss" to UNC didn't shoot them down the rankings. I'd say that based off results so far, there are a few teams that belong higher on the list.

Top Bottom