Wisconsin coming to town ranked #1?

balds

Reaction score
If they beat Ohio St., it's possible. I believe they would jump Clemson, who has a weak schedule the rest of the way. Alabama and LSU play each other on 11/9.

Wisconsin beats OSU
Auburn beats LSU
LSU beats Alabama
Oklahoma loses one at KSU, at Baylor or at home vs. ISU and Wisconsin in number 1.

Even if Wisconsin loses to Ohio St., they'll be looking to beat us and a re-match with Ohio St. with the playoff still on their mind. Should be a wild time.

Last edited:

If they beat Ohio St., it's possible. I believe they would jump Clemson, who has a weak schedule the rest of the way. Alabama and LSU play each other on 11/9.

Wisconsin beats OSU
Auburn beats LSU
LSU beats Alabama
Oklahoma loses one at KSU, at Baylor or at home vs. ISU and Wisconsin in number 1.

Even if Wisconsin loses to Ohio St., they'll be looking to beat us and a re-match with Ohio St. with the playoff still on their mind. Should be a wilt time.

wisconsin isn't jumping Clemson unless Clemson loses.

Hey...don’t care what they’ll be ranked...we be keeping our AXE! Higher they’re ranked, the better for us when we beat them

I could see them at #2, but whoever wins between Alabama/LSU is almost guaranteed to be #1 at that point. I don't think Auburn is in the same class as LSU or Alabama right now.

wisconsin isn't jumping Clemson unless Clemson loses.

Agreed. Clemson is still #1 all year in my book until they are beat. And I think the only team that could do it is Alabama. I don't think LSU or Georgia have it in them.

Wisconsin beats OSU
Auburn beats LSU
LSU beats Alabama

Even if Wisconsin loses to Ohio St., they'll be looking to beat us and a re-match with Ohio St. with the playoff still on their mind. Should be a wild time.

That’s an awful lot of things that need to happen for them to be ranked #1. Even if they do beat OSU, I can’t see OU losing and if LSU is good enough to beat Bama, I don’t think they’ll lose to Auburn.

It’s kind of like saying IF the gophers go undefeated and win the Big Ten they will make the CFP. Yeah of course IF that happens then they definitely would but that’s extremely unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Wisconsin comes into our game 11-0 they will almost certainly be top 3 but as others have said unlikely that they would be #1 without some stumbles by the likes of Clemson and Alabama.

Really looking forward to that Ohio State/Wisconsin game on the 26th. Will be very interesting to see how that one shakes out.

If Wisconsin comes into our game 11-0 they will almost certainly be top 3 but as others have said unlikely that they would be #1 without some stumbles by the likes of Clemson and Alabama.

Really looking forward to that Ohio State/Wisconsin game on the 26th. Will be very interesting to see how that one shakes out.

Wisconsin will not win that game. They may get a bit exposed. Part of me is tired of OSU. If Wisconsin keeps this steam going and does neat OSU, look for a rematch in Indy which will be for a spot in the playoffs, OSU and Oregon in the Rosebowl. Imagine if our only loss of the year was Wisconsin and they make a top 4 spot....could land us in a great bowl.

I have mixed feelings, I want the west to win, I don't want that west team to be Wisconsin

and I'd have hard time if one current mid pack teams leaped us, and won the the thing as well...

I could see them at #2, but whoever wins between Alabama/LSU is almost guaranteed to be #1 at that point. I don't think Auburn is in the same class as LSU or Alabama right now.

Highly unlikely but what if LSU has a loss (AUB) but beats Ala, and WI remains undefeated, then what? Even if Clemson is undefeated at that time, I have to think WI goes to #1.

It would give us a chance to get our first victory over the number one team since 1977

WI could be ranked top 3.
If we are unbeaten by then, we'll be top 8.

Clemson would need to lose before Wisconsin would jump them for the #1 ranking.

Agreed. Clemson is still #1 all year in my book until they are beat. And I think the only team that could do it is Alabama. I don't think LSU or Georgia have it in them.

I don't care for the philosophy. Clemson should've lost to North Carolina. On the basis of their super soft schedule and overall meh performances thusfar, they don't belong near the top spot.

maybe Gophers can also be ranked #1.

if we beat all scheduled 12 teams, beat tOSU in the B1G championship. and have 19 teams ahead of us in the polls lose 1-2 games

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would have a very merry christmas.

Not necessarily. Upsets happen. If the scenario from the OP occurs Wisconsin would likely be #1. If Minnesota were to be 11-0, which really only requires 1 or 2 games to go against expectations, the Gophers could well be #2 in the nation in such a scenario. Top 5 at the very least. 11-0 Wisconsin (#1) and 11-0 Minnesota (#2) oughta get Gameday to Minneapolis :)

I don't care for the philosophy. Clemson should've lost to North Carolina. On the basis of their super soft schedule and overall meh performances thusfar, they don't belong near the top spot.

They won the Natty in blowout fashion and return most of their skill players. The real interesting question would be if they do lose a game, are they still in the playoff? I'd argue no, because of that schedule. But without a loss, they are 1 or 2 at worst.

They won the Natty in blowout fashion and return most of their skill players. The real interesting question would be if they do lose a game, are they still in the playoff? I'd argue no, because of that schedule. But without a loss, they are 1 or 2 at worst.

I've always believed that the prior year's national champion should start at #1 no matter what. They should remain there until they lose. No matter what.

Not necessarily. Upsets happen. If the scenario from the OP occurs Wisconsin would likely be #1. If Minnesota were to be 11-0, which really only requires 1 or 2 games to go against expectations, the Gophers could well be #2 in the nation in such a scenario. Top 5 at the very least. 11-0 Wisconsin (#1) and 11-0 Minnesota (#2) oughta get Gameday to Minneapolis :)

I agree that the LSU/Bama winner will likely be #1 that day.

Regarding upsets:

Clemson lost at home to Pitt in 2016 and lost @ Syracuse in 2017.

Oklahoma lost at home to Iowa St. in 2017 and to a Texas team in 2015 that finished 5-7.

Wisconsin has out-scored opponents 255-29 this year. If they run the table, I can see a majority of voters voting for a team that killed Michigan, beat Ohio St. and has the Heisman favorite over a weak schedule Clemson, regardless of their recent past.

I've always believed that the prior year's national champion should start at #1 no matter what. They should remain there until they lose. No matter what.

That would make sense to me only if there were two seasons within the same year where the teams are the exact same. Like a spring and a fall season in the same academic year.

That isn't the case. Players graduate, players leave early for the NFL, players transfer, coaches leave for different jobs, new coaches are hired, freshman are added who may or may not be as good as the freshman added of other teams, players transfer in who may or may not be as good as players who transfer in to other teams etc.

Each season ultimately is its own entity and each team is different from the previous years team.

I would only approve of this if both the Gophers and Wisconsin were 11-0 and ranked top 2, with Gameday coming here for the match.

That would make sense to me only if there were two seasons within the same year where the teams are the exact same. Like a spring and a fall season in the same academic year.

That isn't the case. Players graduate, players leave early for the NFL, players transfer, coaches leave for different jobs, new coaches are hired, freshman are added who may or may not be as good as the freshman added of other teams, players transfer in who may or may not be as good as players who transfer in to other teams etc.

Each season ultimately is its own entity and each team is different from the previous years team.

I understand that. I also realize that the team that was best the prior year isn't necessarily the best the following year. Still I philosophically believe that to be the man, you gotta beat the man. I think that is superior to sportswriters guessing in August at who made the best offseason moves.

If Wisconsin comes in at 9-2 we might not even need to win to win the division

Wisconsin will not win that game. They may get a bit exposed. Part of me is tired of OSU. If Wisconsin keeps this steam going and does neat OSU, look for a rematch in Indy which will be for a spot in the playoffs, OSU and Oregon in the Rosebowl. Imagine if our only loss of the year was Wisconsin and they make a top 4 spot....could land us in a great bowl.

Ha, this is the Alabama bias, where they only lose one game and don't make it into the SEC championship game but then make it into the playoff. Think that would ever happen if our only loss was at the end of the season to Wisconsin? Of course not!

Top Bottom