Question for Locals

Denver_Gopher

Reaction score
Is there more buzz about the Gophers in Minnesota (Twin Cities and out state) after Saturday's win? I would certainly hope so

The hoi polloi are aware the Gophers are doing well.

They're not yet invested in it, but many are aware.

Historic numbers or not, they've seen hope in the Mason and Kill years and seen what happens shortly after too. It's going to take more though and some consistency to get them to buy in IMO.

The reaction was mostly, "Wow, Nebraska must be really bad". I am making a mental note of those "fans" for when they try to climb in the boat later this season

The reaction was mostly, "Wow, Nebraska must be really bad". I am making a mental note of those "fans" for when they try to climb in the boat later this season

This is mostly what I've heard too

Is there more buzz about the Gophers in Minnesota (Twin Cities and out state) after Saturday's win? I would certainly hope so

I think at 8-0, some eyebrows will definitely raise, but the vibe I get is that it's going to take a strong performance against PSU (win or close loss) to prove ourselves to some folks.

season

I think at 8-0, some eyebrows will definitely raise, but the vibe I get is that it's going to take a strong performance against PSU (win or close loss) to prove ourselves to some folks.

Season ticket holder since 1971. I take the same stance as I always do. Always optimistic, until the team proves me wrong. This year, well lets enjoy the ride.

8-0

8-0 will be good, and achievable. What can't happen is 8-0 and then 8-4 because people will say, "Same old Gophers. Beat up bad teams and couldn't play with good teams." I wanted to see how the Gophers did against Nebraska because that is the type of game the Gophers would lose in the past. What impressed me the most is not that the Gophers won, but that the look like they are getting better game by game. That is not lost on me, and on other people if they take the time to look.

If they keep improving, the last 4 games will all be dogfights, and that is really all we can ask.

They said for years that the Gophers would have to start winning first. Then under Mason the Gophers started winning.
They then said the Gophers must beat Wisconsin first. The Gophers beat Wisconsin last year.
Then they said it was cream puff non-con schedules and the Badgers were down last year so that didn't count, so win some B1G games first.
Now the Gophers are 3-0 in the B1G so the response is the schedule has been too light.

I actually saw a guy on Twitter say it wouldn't even matter if the Gophers beat Penn State because they are bad too.

Basically, people have ripped on the Gophers for so long that the old saying that "just win and they will come" is being proven false.

Granted, bad weather but the Nebraska game didn't sell out and the entire second deck part of the student section was open.

But now for the good news: People are talking about the Gophers (sure, it is mostly about the weak schedule but at least that is better than not being on the radar at all). And, I do think there will be legit buzz if the Gophers go into the Penn State game at 8-0.

8-0 will be good, and achievable. What can't happen is 8-0 and then 8-4 because people will say, "Same old Gophers. Beat up bad teams and couldn't play with good teams." I wanted to see how the Gophers did against Nebraska because that is the type of game the Gophers would lose in the past. What impressed me the most is not that the Gophers won, but that the look like they are getting better game by game. That is not lost on me, and on other people if they take the time to look.

If they keep improving, the last 4 games will all be dogfights, and that is really all we can ask.

Agree with your first point. IF we get to 8-0, I think - for the average fickle MN sports fan - we may need to win 2 of the last 4 to make them feel this is different. The great thing is that I think this team is constantly evolving and has the talent and grit to make that happen.

It’s probably going to take a Big Ten West title. Even with that, a blowout loss in the title game would rekindle the mockery.

The good news is, I can’t help but think we should see an uptick in recruiting in the near future. It’s a lot easier to sell hope when you’re blowing out Big Ten teams, and on an 8 game win streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Duluth and very few people I talk with are thinking much about Gopher Football here. It's all about the Vikings and the start of UMD hockey. I think we'll have to beat Penn St before people up here start to take notice.

It’s probably going to take a Big Ten West title. Even with that, a blowout loss in the title game would rekindle the mockery.

The good news is, I can’t help but think we should see an uptick in recruiting in the near future. It’s a lot easier to sell hope when you’re blowing out Big Ten teams, and on an 8 game win streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we win the West it’ll be “yeah, but the West is weak and they’ll be blown out by Ohio St.”

There is more awareness. Media seems to be concerned with having to cram on Gopher sports in case we turn out to be relevant.

Some are now using the "Beat a ranked team and get back to me" line. Also, a few more people are trying to be more vocal about "easy schedules".

Beat PSU and interest will start to occur instead of awareness.

Some more yeah. The atmosphere was noticeably more awesome at TCF this last game too. IMO part of it because Twins are eliminated and not much else to focus on.

For better or worse, the Vikings still own the market.

Gophers are undefeated, and the biggest stories of the week for the last two weeks were Diggs skipping practices, and a former teammate dissing Cousins.

When the Vikes win, they're the #1 story. when the vikings lose, they're the #1 story.

yes, the Gophers are getting more mentions in some media outlets. And then on WCCO, Dave Lee is spending the entire week promoting the St. Thomas game against St. Johns.

For the Gophers to really take over the market, they would have to at least win a Conference Title, or make the College Football playoffs. AND, at the same time, the Vikes would have to fall off the map -have a 2-14 season or something like that.

And sadly, if the Vikes went 2-14 while the gophers won a B1G title, the Vikes would still be getting a lot of coverage.

I was in Duluth LAST year the day we played Fresno State at home and I couldn't even find a radio station that carried the Gopher game. *duh* I couldn't believe it.

As has been mentioned many times, - can you imagine if MN didn't have a pro football team? The Gophers would be in a 100,000 seat stadium and they would be the talk of the town. The downfall of Gopher interest in the state happened the day the Vikings were born.

I was in Duluth LAST year the day we played Fresno State at home and I couldn't even find a radio station that carried the Gopher game. *duh* I couldn't believe it.

I have always felt radio coverage of Gopher sports throughout MN was quite good. I just look up the radio network to see what is closest if I am out of town during a Gopher broadcast.

http://sportsaffiliates.learfield.com/affiliates/minnesota1

They’re usually on 610 AM, but if there’s a conflict with the Twins or anything else they get moved to 970 AM, which barely has enough range to make it to Proctor.

For better or worse, the Vikings still own the market.

Gophers are undefeated, and the biggest stories of the week for the last two weeks were Diggs skipping practices, and a former teammate dissing Cousins.

When the Vikes win, they're the #1 story. when the vikings lose, they're the #1 story.

yes, the Gophers are getting more mentions in some media outlets. And then on WCCO, Dave Lee is spending the entire week promoting the St. Thomas game against St. Johns.

For the Gophers to really take over the market, they would have to at least win a Conference Title, or make the College Football playoffs. AND, at the same time, the Vikes would have to fall off the map -have a 2-14 season or something like that.

And sadly, if the Vikes went 2-14 while the gophers won a B1G title, the Vikes would still be getting a lot of coverage.

I don't think anyone has suggested, or asked when the Gopher football program will be followed more closely than the Vikings. The Gophers "taking over this market" isn't and won't be on the table really under any circumstances. The football program rising to a higher place of prominence in general than it was yesterday or today is certainly on the table though.

I've noticed a definite uptick in Gopher football interest this season and I would expect there to be a noticeable buzz around the Penn State game if the Gophers are undefeated at that time. That being said, the already-fickle fan base is still fragile and the "haven't beaten anybody good" vibe is real, for now. I'd also say the student body hasn't exactly been infected with Gopher fever based on the low student turnout to the game against Nebraska.

Win two more games, and the Penn State game will be a big deal.

Just a glance at the Gopher SOS makes the critics comments about not beating anyone valid.
I think most people will be waiting for the WI game to get involved especially if that game is the one that determines the winner of the West.
But it might be cold or snowing etc and the visiting fans may outnumber the home fans.

It took til July for Twins "fans" to really start coming to games. And that was with a crazy good start to the season and historic offensive output. Gophers need to get ranked in the top 20 and stay there a little while for the fringe fans to start caring more.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Up ever so slightly. What I am seeing/hearing is implied discrediting from the "Yea Butt" crowd.. Strength of schedule, Gophers have faced back up QB's all season, Don't like Fleck, Nebraska is down, etc.

Examples:

WCCO 10:00 sports Saturday evening. The 3rd string sports guy delivered the Gopher news like a eulogy. Finished the
piece by stating "we'll see what the Gophers are made of during the last 4 games". Fair statement but definitely an implication as I saw it.

STRIB Sunday morning sports page. Entire story devoted to pointing out the Gophers have faced nothing but 2nd string QB's this season. All factual, but again an implication. Nothing mentioned about Tanner Morgan being our 2nd string QB based on rumors/reports coming out of fall camp that Annexstad would be the starting QB vs SDSU.

I cite these examples as this is what the ill informed haters are saying in the social network. Ducklings following their mamma.

We need to beat penn state for the buzz to go up. All the haters wanted us to start a season without losing and when we did that they just say "get back to me when you beat a good team".

Beat Penn State and gopher fan numbers will explode.

I have noticed a difference and it started with beating Wisconsin last year. Some of my friends started to take notice. I haven't had as much difficulty having friends join for games this year and now I'm looking at buying a couple of extra tickets for the Maryland and Wisconsin games to accommodate a few casual fans/friends.

PJ Fleck is going to be much sought-after before the season is over.

Top Bottom