Tyler Johnson Getting Rd1 Love

I will still be shocked if he goes in the first round. I'd guess late 2nd early 3rd. Granted the combine will make a big difference one way or the other.

Unless he blazes the 40 I don't think so. I'm a huge TJ fan but he has too many drops although that can improve, and he probably doesn't have that big speed. Otherwise he seems to run good routes and he's crazy athletic. I see him as a likely third round pick with a chance at the second. Hope he can get into the first because he is a great ambassador to the Minneapolis and Minnesota communities, love the local kids and I think that we will have a number of them drafted in TJ, Carter, Kamal as guys that should all get drafted. Go Gophers!

RE Drops: I think he needs to know when to be a possession WR (i.e., catch with his body) as opposed to worrying about getting RAC yards before he secures a catch sometimes. This was a big problem during the Illinois game in that 1st half. I get the weather, but you have to know when to keep the chains moving. He definitely has all the necessary attributes to be a top 3 round WR. Michael Thomas didn't run a blazing 40 time (4.57 was his best combine time) and he is one of the best WR's, if not the best, in the NFL.

Last edited:

He has got to stop these drops on passes in his hands. He has all the talent in the world, but teams will pass him up if he continues this.

I don't think drops are going to keep him out of the first round. I think the combine will.

RE Drops: I think he needs to know when to be a possession WR (i.e., catch with his body) as opposed to worrying about getting RAC yards before he secures a catch sometimes. This was a big problem during the Illinois game in that 1st half. I get the weather, but you have to know when to keep the chains moving. He definitely has all the necessary attributes to be a top 3 round WR. Michael Thomas didn't run a blazing 40 time (4.57 was his best combine time) and he is one of the best WR's, if not the best, in the NFL.

Yes. P.J. Fleck said that as well.

I believe Thomas had issues with drops at Ohio State too so they are similar prospects in a lot of ways. Obviously would love to see Ty go in the first round but really just hoping he lands in a good situation. The Saints with the great coaches they have on offense would be a nice landing spot.

Good comp. If Johnson can run a sub 4.6 he could be Fleck's second 1st rounder.

I know little about NFL drafts, but I would guess he's 3-5 round material. Hoping he goes in the first though.

Tyler is off his 2018 pace probably due to a combination of fewer pass attempts per game (winning helps that), cannibalization by the other receivers, and his own hands. This could certainly change down the stretch.

If I had to guess I’ll say he won’t test particularly elite on the 40 but he clearly has more than adequate leaping, body control. I’d guess middle rounds 2-4 as well but hope he goes higher.

Tyler is off his 2018 pace probably due to a combination of fewer pass attempts per game (winning helps that), cannibalization by the other receivers, and his own hands. This could certainly change down the stretch.

If I had to guess I’ll say he won’t test particularly elite on the 40 but he clearly has more than adequate leaping, body control. I’d guess middle rounds 2-4 as well but hope he goes higher.

I agree. My thinking is that Tyler would go in the 4th round. I'd love for him to go higher.

It seems like every year there are about 90-120 players that are mentioned in various places as being possible first round picks. Some of these guys in reality are 3rd to 5th round picks and just based on that experience as well as what others have said - I agree he will get drafted and possibly not even in a late round but I would be very pleasantly surprised if he was taken in the first round.

There are other guys that are fringe draft material that do wonderfully in the combine and right away things are written about them improving their "draft stock" with assumptions they will move all the way into the top couple rounds but these guys too are usually mid to late rounders.

Based on the other WR talent in this draft class, I would expect Johnson to be a late second or early third round draft pick if he tests as expected at the combine.

He likely would have gone early or mid 2nd if he came out in 2019 given the weaker class, but I am glad he decided to stay for his degree since this season is shaping up to be a special one.

I believe Thomas had issues with drops at Ohio State too so they are similar prospects in a lot of ways. Obviously would love to see Ty go in the first round but really just hoping he lands in a good situation. The Saints with the great coaches they have on offense would be a nice landing spot.

Agree totally on the Saints. That would be an outstanding landing spot for him. While I don't think he is quite to the Michael Thomas level, I think he's awful close and has a great tool kit of NFL skills that he can most certainly be a successful NFL WR.

Not bad for the second best receiver on the team!

He is my favorite player on the team so I'm a little biased. I was watching the Lions Packers last night and Hockenson went up to highpoint a ball, and dropped it when he was coming down. Tyler could very well be a TD machine in the NFL with the right QB.

In my opinion he isn't the best WR on the Gophers. Not dissing TJ but Bateman is that good. Tyler needs to get rid of the drops.

PFF also had him mocked at either #28 or #30 at the beginning of the season.

Top Bottom