The Athletic 130: Quietly 6-0, Minnesota is improving each week and on the rise

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chris:

Early this season, Minnesota was the most inexplicable 3-0 team in the country, with late escapes against South Dakota State, Fresno State and Georgia Southern. But the Gophers got through the early bumps unscathed and are getting better as the season goes on.

After a 34-7 win over Nebraska to move to 6-0, Minnesota makes its first top-25 appearance in The Athletic 130 this week. Dating back to last year, this is the program’s first eight-game winning streak since 1948-49.

The Gophers rushed for 322 yards in the win, one week after they rushed for 332 against Illinois. Fleck’s tenure began 10-13, including a 5-6 start last year. Since beating Wisconsin to win Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in 15 years and reach bowl eligibility, Minnesota hasn’t lost.

“We’re as good as we are right now, that’s all I know,” Fleck said after the win. “Right now, today, we’re a 34-7 win over Nebraska good. That’s all I know. We’re one of the best...

https://theathletic.com/1291014/2019/10/14/college-football-130-rankings-fbs-minnesota-undefeated/

Go Gophers!!

argh... I don't have a subscription

I loved what Fleck said. The improvement is the story. Manhandling Nebraska is light years from needing late heroics to beat GSU. Obviously, adjusting to the loss of Cashman is part if not much of it. And, as PJ said a week and a half ago, the offensive line is growing up.

Top Bottom