It's been over a century since Minnesota has enjoyed this kind of start to a football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

Minnesota was approaching the two decade mark since it had started a college football season with a 6-0 record. The last time that occurred was back in 2003 under head coach Glen Mason.

So the 6-0 start this season, alone, was quite an accomplishment worth celebrating in Minneapolis.

But there’s actually another twist to Minnesota’s impressive start to the year that hasn’t happened in even longer. The Gophers have scored 28 points or more in all six wins this season. According to Minnesota Football’s Twitter account, that’s the first time it’s happened since 1905 — or 114 years.

Quite a drought, right?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...oyed-this-kind-of-start-to-a-football-season/

Go Gophers!!

Scoring points is good especially when more than the other guy.

Scoring points is good especially when more than the other guy.

28 points a game at the very least should have you in most games as long as you have a semi competent defense.

Crazy to think that our offense is averaging 35 points a game right now and it still feels like there is another gear they haven't even reached yet. We have had some good skill players come through here over the years but I highly doubt there has ever been a time when we have a collection as deep as the current one with Smith, Brooks, Ibrahim, TJ, Bateman, and CAB....that is 6 really explosive players that would give opposing DC's fits trying to figure out how to stop them.

28 points a game at the very least should have you in most games as long as you have a semi competent defense.

Crazy to think that our offense is averaging 35 points a game right now and it still feels like there is another gear they haven't even reached yet. We have had some good skill players come through here over the years but I highly doubt there has ever been a time when we have a collection as deep as the current one with Smith, Brooks, Ibrahim, TJ, Bateman, and CAB....that is 6 really explosive players that would give opposing DC's fits trying to figure out how to stop them.

35 points a game should win just about every game you play. I agree I feel like we have even one or two more levels to see from these guys. I worry for next year when we lose Smith and Brooks. Ibrahim will be great to fill the hole, but he only partly fills it. I wonder if our recruit Ky Thomas will make an immediate impact as our #2, his stats for his high school games have been like video game stats. Sounds like the real deal. I think Williams and Wiley have potential. I also think at receiver CRAB will be a good replacement for Tyler Johnson. And Bateman can only get better, he already looks NFL ready. Next few years could be incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 points a game should win just about every game you play. I agree I feel like we have even one or two more levels to see from these guys. I worry for next year when we lose Smith and Brooks. Ibrahim will be great to fill the hole, but he only partly fills it. I wonder if our recruit Ky Thomas will make an immediate impact as our #2, his stats for his high school games have been like video game stats. Sounds like the real deal. I think Williams and Wiley have potential. I also think at receiver CRAB will be a good replacement for Tyler Johnson. And Bateman can only get better, he already looks NFL ready. Next few years could be incredible.

The great thing about the RB spot is how often freshman can jump in and play right away. I’m predicting Thomas quickly becomes #2 behind Moe next year. His ability to make people miss appears to be amazing. To me, that’s the #1 most important trait for a RB.

I’ve noticed a pattern. The offense typically starts fast, builds a big lead, then goes into conservative, clock eating mode. The problem is, they haven’t executed as well in those situations, and they end up giving the ball right back and a tired defense has to go back out on the field and play more prevent defense. They could be putting up 50-60 points per game on these chumps if they kept their foot on the gas.

A top 10 offense and top 40 defense is going to keep the Gophers competitive on a national scale if they can keep this up.
If the defense keeps trending up then this could be a very special season.

The great thing about the RB spot is how often freshman can jump in and play right away. I’m predicting Thomas quickly becomes #2 behind Moe next year. His ability to make people miss appears to be amazing. To me, that’s the #1 most important trait for a RB.

Speaking of RBs, what's up with the RB from Owatonna? (I believe he got hurt right away, right?) Are plans for him to remain a RB? Please GH'ers in the know, update me. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Speaking of RBs, what's up with the RB from Owatonna? (I believe he got hurt right away, right?) Are plans for him to remain a RB? Please GH'ers in the know, update me. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Nobody knows, of course, but word on the street was he looked very impressive at RB. I'd guess he stays there when he returns given the graduation of our top 2. The staff does talk up Wiley quite a bit, but we've seen how important it is to have 3 or more reliable RBs in this offense.

With freshmen running backs, the blocking component is often a significant detractor. Especially for passing teams that don't want to get the QB killed.

Hard to believe it’s been that long.

I wouldn’t argue that this team is better than any of our national championship teams though.

I’ve noticed a pattern. The offense typically starts fast, builds a big lead, then goes into conservative, clock eating mode. The problem is, they haven’t executed as well in those situations, and they end up giving the ball right back and a tired defense has to go back out on the field and play more prevent defense. They could be putting up 50-60 points per game on these chumps if they kept their foot on the gas.

Our RB stable will be fine next year.

Mo, Bryce, Cam Wiley, Ky, Owatonna kid..

for some perspective, college football has not always been the high-scoring affair it has turned into.

In the 30's, 40's, 50's and into the 60's, a lot of games were defensive battles. Run the ball, control the clock, and try to win a game 14-10.

in 1966, in "the game of the century," Michigan State and Notre Dame played to a 10-10 tie.

So, the fact that the Gophers are scoring more points has to be put into context. Most teams are scoring more points these days.

The interesting question would be to compare the Gophers' scoring to average scoring for the season. how are the Gophers scoring compared to other B1G teams or other Power 5 teams?

I love the history finally being repeated again!

Our RB stable will be fine next year.

Mo, Bryce, Cam Wiley, Ky, Owatonna kid..

Interesting. Unless they break the 4-game barrier down the stretch this year, this is what it looks like next year:

Mo - Redshirt Junior
Bryce - Redshirt Soph
Wiley - Redshirt Frosh
Williamson - Redshirt Frosh
Ky Thomas - True Frosh

It will be interesting to see if Thomas is so good that he plays more than 4 games. Also will be interesting to see if they move Treyson Potts to WR or how he looks (also will be redshirt frosh)

It really is great to have not only a good offense, but a well balanced one, too. Having Rodney, Brooks and Mo, and a receiver corps. with Johnson, Bateman and Bell is great. That's a phenomenal amount of talent. Most talent on an offense since 2003 probably (with Maroney, Barber and Tapeh, along with Utecht and Spaeth in the TE positions)?

Top Bottom