Tanner Morgan

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Still 4th in the nation in passing efficiency, up there with Joe Burrow, Tua, etc. Hitting around 70% - when did that ever happen? A leader, a field general - best QB in a long time in overall skills and performance. I just wish he had a back-up because he's wide open on many of those option plays, but can't risk injury.

Another reason I don’t want him to run is he has a tendency to try to take on the defender, like he did the other night. He could have easily gotten a concussion on that play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another reason I don’t want him to run is he has a tendency to try to take on the defender, like he did the other night. He could have easily gotten a concussion on that play.

I saw that to, lowered his helmet for contact - bah!

I noticed that, too - very scary.

It would help the RPO if he did run more often but agree we can't take the risk of an injury. Is Kramer the back up or would he play Seth Green ? I thought he could have given somebody else a few reps towards the end of the NE game.

Yep, Morgan doesn't really know how to take a hit, (or deliver one). He's no Mitch Leidner when it comes to the RPO

Yep, Morgan doesn't really know how to take a hit, (or deliver one). He's no Mitch Leidner when it comes to the RPO

He just needs to learn how to slide. I do think he’s pretty durable, but look around at all of the teams who are currently without their starting QB...every Big Ten team we’ve played for starters. It’s not worth it.

I was yelling at the tv, of all the times you could have run the ball, why are you choosing now? Made no sense!

It would help the RPO if he did run more often but agree we can't take the risk of an injury. Is Kramer the back up or would he play Seth Green ? I thought he could have given somebody else a few reps towards the end of the NE game.

A QB run isn't part of the RPO.

Is that "ironing"? Run pass option would most certainly include a quarterback keeper.

You didn't get the ironing joke, yet keep bringing it up. Interesting.

No, a QB keeper is not part of the RPO. That would be a zone read, read option, or even a triple option.

I was yelling at the tv, of all the times you could have run the ball, why are you choosing now? Made no sense!

I thought the same thing at the moment. On the other hand, I think that was early in the game. If an early QB keeper freezes the defense a half step for later in the game, it can make sense. Just learn how to not get hit hard...please.

I thought the same thing at the moment. On the other hand, I think that was early in the game. If an early QB keeper freezes the defense a half step for later in the game, it can make sense. Just learn how to not get hit hard...please.

I'm not 100% certain and didn't rewatch the play, but I thought in the moment that it was a busted play of some sort and he just took off. Seemed to me he had a one read route and perhaps it was covered or the WR ran the wrong route. Like others have said, it was an odd time to run so I assumed it wasn't by design.

Dont Confuse the RPO and the Read Option

Mitch ran the read option where it was either him or the RB running

Tanner adds the option of reading the Safeties and passing

knock on wood. A big knock on wood but a huge understated reason for this team's success this season is unlike past seasons they have stayed healthy across the board. There was such bad luck in seasons past and I always hoped that would even out some day. It seems like all the evening out is hitting this year, this special magical year. The entire outlook would change if Morgan went down for any larger length of time. I can't say it enough: knock on wood.

And, with the good luck we have seen injury-wise this season, it has been compounded with the ridiculous lineup of injuries to Gopher opponents, especially at QB (yes, technically the Gophers are playing a backup QB too, but overall the good fortunes injury-wise have been quite notable this season so far). With the Gophers doing so well to stay out of injury trouble, the later the season gets, the more "deep" it makes the team. People always say the difference between top teams and average teams is depth. There are a lot of teams that can match starters at one level but as things move to second and third strings the depth really takes over. With each injury hurdle avoided, it has made the Gophers feel like there is more depth.

Thankfully he is not ML
He is efficient and hits on big plays

Dont Confuse the RPO and the Read Option

Mitch ran the read option where it was either him or the RB running

Tanner adds the option of reading the Safeties and passing

Is Tanner reading the safety or linebacker on the RPO's?

Is Tanner reading the safety or linebacker on the RPO's?

Depends on the route being run and where they are positioned before the snap.

Generally, underneath routes will be linebackers, where as deep routes would be safeties.

Depends on the route being run and where they are positioned before the snap.

Generally, underneath routes will be linebackers, where as deep routes would be safeties.

That makes sense, I guess I only notice the RPO when we gash someone on underneath route against the LB's and haven't paid attention to use optioning the safety. I'll have to keep that in mind as I continue watching games.

Here is a great RPO primer from one of the masters of RPO, Urban Meyer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B3D5MDpiKEY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom